Does rod knock get louder with higher revs?

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Don - took some photos, not great resolution as bore scope maxed out here
I think my rail is different to yours?
IMG_0068.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0066.jpeg
    IMG_0066.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 34

stphers

Reaction score
Is the piece of rail that fits into the tensioner piston hitting or touching the aluminum wall of the timing cover? There should be at least 1-2mm there Is the chain stretched and what you are hearing is the tensioner rail hitting that wall? Had that happen on a 2002, same difference had other issues but ended up putting in a new chain and a much better cam gear

Thanks, Rick

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t know what to say- do you have a cell phone you can use? I’m simply using an iPhone 11- nothing special. Your pictures are completely out of focus?
Is this an m30 engine? Can you take an in focus pic from a foot away or maybe 2 feet away? Your chain is a complete blur. please don’t take boroscope or close up pics- it’s defeating the purpose. Take an exact copy of the picture I posted from the same distance with a clean lens. Copy the 1st picture I posted exactly. Use a cell phone.
thanks!,!!

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are these better?
IMG_0087.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0081.jpeg
    IMG_0081.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 24

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It appears to me that the tensioner may be touching the wall on the lower timing cover? Can you check this by using a large screwdriver in the spot I have marked?
The tensioner and tensioner piston should be very stiff and barely move.
IMG_2034.jpeg

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score

Mine isn’t very stiff at all. But the small arm that slots into the tensioner piston does not touch the wall however hard I try to move away from the piston. from the video the “long side” of the tensioner does hit against the wall when you pull it towards the piston far enough.
I am a bit confused how mine isn’t very stiff - given it’s a brand new OEM spring from BMW. Used the part number from RealOEM. I guess I need to find a stiffer spring?

stphers

Reaction score
You know, I bought 3 new tensioner pistons awhile ago. I could not get any of them to pump up hard Ended up going back to a good used one that I had, pumped up just fine On these new ones there is a ball with a spring in the center small hole in the groove of the tensioner, I am assuming that oil is forced in past the ball and spring and holds pressure in but I could not get enough oil in behind that ball to ever get the tensioner hard ( now, everyone quit laughing and get your mind out of the gutter )

The old tensioner did not have that spring or ball Is this something new?

If you can't get the tensioner to tighten up, that rail will be banging back and forth as the engine is running and more so on start up and low rpm rather than higher rpm where chain speed is fast enough to compensate for the loose tensioner

Thanks, Rick