E3 Hood (Bonnet) Torsion Springs

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a DIY for the E3 torsion bar like the E9? The "L" brackets on the E9 do not exist on the E3 so you cannot torque them to position, keep them in position like a mousetrap and then install. I ended up using a small C-clamp to slowly rotate the ends into place. Sadly, the ends are a bit distorted after 6 years so the hood stays up but a slight wind in the right direction and it comes down.

Fritzie's fix is a good one and looks easier for the E3 also. Gonna give it a try when it thaws out around here. Fritzie what gauge steel is that?
50/50 chance of doing it right! It took me two times. ;)

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Question, the hood is off the car, and the torsion bar off the hood. Should I try to install the brackets and torsion bar with the hood off or on the car, I think either way I’m gonna have to torque/twist, /done one of the little devils.

alprada70

http://www.oilsdesigngroup.com/
Site Donor $
Reaction score

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I ordered a set from BMW and waiting on them. Has anyone found a way to install these with min hassle. As I mentioned, the E9 ones have a "L" to lock them during installation, no such thing here.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't remember it being that hard to do, but it's been more than a week so I don't remember how I did it.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will figure it out and post my solution here if I still have enough fingers to actually create a post. My stuff came in from BMW, 9 bucks for each side, no complaints about that.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will figure it out and post my solution here if I still have enough fingers to actually create a post. My stuff came in from BMW, 9 bucks for each side, no complaints about that.
Can you post a picture of what you actually got from BMW for those 9 usd? I'm curious!
They don't have the E9 version anymore, so I modeled something and had it milled for 100 euro per side... gulp...

I think the original material is lead based, being the reason of the parts being soo heavy, plus that they seem to deform over time, as they are constantly loaded with a closed hood.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm, not so sure I needed new ones............................................

I have paint drying on the new ones. I will check the weight differences after they dry. I think they may be made of different material...........or I hope so.

Can someone post an image of theirs installed since mine never worked and I do not know if they were installed correctly in the first place.

IMG_4677.jpg
IMG_4676.jpg

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t know whether it’s pot metal or aluminum or what. Nowadays we’d say it was made in China. But we look at it with a jaundiced eye, and forget that these things are 50+ years old. Mine weren't that bad, but I replaced them, and unbelievably they’re cheap.(that may be a double entendre) Putting them on wasn’t very difficult. Probably helps to have two people.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Pot metal, new ones are the same as the old, no upgrade. On the flip side, it is hard to do when you are working alone.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
You nailed it. Both ends are pretty well chewed up allowing the springs to rotate some before they start doing any good...

View attachment 82891

View attachment 82892

The springs seem to be intact.

View attachment 82893

I'm not sure what would cause this other than 47 years of opening and closing the hood?
Mine looked exactly the same after 50 years of opening and closing. Just turned into mush. Replaced both hood torsion anchors two years ago and fixed! Just be carful of the mouse trap effect from the torsions bars when disconnecting the linkages.

Fritzie

Reaction score
Is there a DIY for the E3 torsion bar like the E9? The "L" brackets on the E9 do not exist on the E3 so you cannot torque them to position, keep them in position like a mousetrap and then install. I ended up using a small C-clamp to slowly rotate the ends into place. Sadly, the ends are a bit distorted after 6 years so the hood stays up but a slight wind in the right direction and it comes down.

Fritzie's fix is a good one and looks easier for the E3 also. Gonna give it a try when it thaws out around here. Fritzie what gauge steel is that?
I had put an drawing in my post.

Attachments

• Drawing stainless steel lining-plate - hood spring holder BMW e9 6.pdf
    204.3 KB · Views: 11

Fritzie

Reaction score
By the way; the drawing is for a e9.

(If i remember: i used a bmw 2002 torsion holder for my BMW 3.0 L . With some grinding)

Fritzie

Reaction score