E3 Hood Liner

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
As a follow up to my search for an E3 hood liner in this thread, I odered an E3 liner from the company Rob (@bavbob) had sent a pattern to...

It fit perfectly. Thanks, Rob, for sending them the pattern.

IMG_7034.jpeg

Last edited:

americium

Reaction score
Looks like a nice solution. Is it the same pattern that fits the E9?

Whats the best adhesive to use To attach it to the hood?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
E3 and E9 are different. They didn't have a listing for the E3 liner so they had me order the E9 liner but specify that it would be for an E3.

The seller recommends 3M #80 or #90

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I couldn't think of a way to install the liners without taking the hood off. It is probably possible, but for me, removing the hood was the lesser of the evils.

I laid the liners in position and taped around them...

IMG_7040.jpeg

IMG_7041.jpeg

I installed each individually. Spray the hood, spray the liner, install. I used 3M #90

IMG_7042.jpeg

IMG_7043.jpeg

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, they sent me three "BMW" decals for the large center part for my E9 as I was the 100th customer. I used the white one, sent the blue one to Drew, you are welcome to the red one if you wish. Here is it in blue on the E3, been almost 10 years now.... I used 3M #90

1637009920490.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick, they sent me three "BMW" decals for the large center part for my E9 as I was the 100th customer. I used the white one, sent the blue one to Drew, you are welcome to the red one if you wish. Here is it in blue on the E3, been almost 10 years now.... I used 3M #90
Rob,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm kind of digging the minimalist look.

IMG_7048.jpeg

Anyway, you'll need it for your next E3/E9 project. Just make sure to make it a red one. ;)

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I will get to this, eventually, but I will not remove the hood. I spent several hours removing the original decayed, decomposed original foam a few years ago, and found I can reach all those areas if I take my anti inflammatory in the morning. ;) Yours really turned our well Dick. That tape idea is a good one. I think I am ordering from dealer as someone here posted that this is still available from BMW, for the E9.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've had the factory foam and this version, and this is more durable. The downside is the need for separate adhesive which makes application more difficult, but still doable with care.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In either case (peel off adhesive or 3M) you only get one shot at getting the liner piece aligned correctly. I couldn't figure out a way I would be comfortable with the hood on. The hood prop mechanism adds another degree of difficulty.

Mike, I can come up (if the border cross procedure isn't too daunting) and help. Two guys might make the "hood on" process doable.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The peeling works if it has that feature, I slice the backing paper horizontally in sections carefully with a razor so it can transition under the support bar easier and not stick where you don’t want it. These aftermarket ones need separate adhesive which makes for a more treacherous, challenging install.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
In either case (peel off adhesive or 3M) you only get one shot at getting the liner piece aligned correctly. I couldn't figure out a way I would be comfortable with the hood on. The hood prop mechanism adds another degree of difficulty.

Mike, I can come up (if the border cross procedure isn't too daunting) and help. Two guys might make the "hood on" process doable.
Yeah, that will work, Dick! I liked reading that the product you ordered is made of a more durable material, (Thanks Stevehose), because the original just crumbles when it reaches the end of its lifespan. I will let you know when that job gets scheduled, and we can see how the land border is working. Thanks!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I spent a while aligning my E9 (not E3) hood and leaned that even marking the bolts to reproduce the exact fitment again does not work. So, I installed mine with the hood still on the car. Started at the top, used #90 (clean nozzle so you can control the spray) which gives you time to work. Took about 20 min, decal took another 20. Result below.

The E3 I did with the hood off...since it was already off.

BTW Dick our E3's are 72's and your hood torsion bar is shaped different than mine.......

IMG_2115.JPG

Last edited:

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BTW Dick our E3's are 72's and your to hood torsion bar is shaped different than mine.......
The one that came with my car was broken. Mike (@bluecoupe30!) came up with a good one for me (Thanks again, Mike!). I don't know what year Mike's came off of. It did look the same as the one my car came with but I didn't examine it in detail for differences. It works just fine.

RealOEM (yes I know it's wrong more than it is right ;) ) shows one part number (41611804494) for all years and models 07/04/1968--09/21/2007. However, it does show this PN Supersedes 41611816213 (06/01/1973 — 10/01/2003).

I don't know why there was a different PN for the 73 and up cars since the original PN fits those cars. Maybe they changed suppliers and there was enough difference in the form to require a different PN? Then they went back to the original supplier for the service parts?

So it could be the one I got from Mike is from a 73 and up car and is PN 41611816213, and yours is 41611804494?

Post a picture of yours if the car is handy.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, you made me look it up. The parts book shows only one part, 41 61 1 804 494 as of March 1975 publication date. The 213 part (214 is right) is the left torsion spring and both left and right springs were superseded but RealOEM thinks it is the complete assembly.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, mine is in the photo above, the Riviera Blue E3. Strange as the bar is curved different but the arms are the same.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
On both of yours, the bend looks a little "softer". Is that what you mean?

1637009920490.jpg

0E32EFB4-42F4-4AE4-B894-A44AD8566956.jpg

IMG_4921.JPG

If that is the case, could it be there were actually 2? And the parts book is wrong and RealOEM is right?