E3 Trunk Bag location

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 72 MY Bavaria did not come to me with a Trunk Bag (51471808730). I recently ordered and received one of CS Werk's reproduction.

IMG_6772.jpeg

Where and how did this mount in the trunk?

I think I have seen them up against the right side panel, but there is no indication on the floor panel or side panel that there was ever one there.
IMG_6770.jpeg

The E9 has a different PN (5147182770) but did it mount in the same location as the E3?

What fasteners were used?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Early e3 trunk caddies mounted to passenger side panel with two snaps. Easier to use two chrome screws with integral cupped washers into the trunk board. Just don’t drill into to your gas tank, ask me how I know this! And the small side piece holds your wheel chock.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
What Chris said, I've seen them secured both ways. Where snaps were used the cars also had a cutout in the trunk carpet for the "bag", earlier cars used screws into the bottom panel through the carpet :-(

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our 70 2800 has snaps on the vertical panel, I’ve never seen a snap on the floor but e9 caddies were fastened with two screws in the floor.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps Dick is asking what I will ask, any photos? Mine is not attached and is original as it is a one owner car. I do have the trunk carpet which is original and cut out for it. I saw no holes in the thing when I redid it with the famed "storm gray" SEM paint.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Perhaps Dick is asking what I will ask, any photos? Mine is not attached and is original as it is a one owner car. I do have the trunk carpet which is original and cut out for it. I saw no holes in the thing when I redid it with the famed "storm gray" SEM paint.
My car also shows no signs of attachment for the trunk bag. Either it didn't come with one originally (unlikely), the panel(s) have been replaced at some point (unlikely...they are worn), or the original was never attached. The last one also seems unlikely since it would slide around in the trunk....even with the carpet cut out for it (Is this true Bob, or does it stay planted)

RealOEM does not show any fasteners in addition to the bag or the vertical trunk panel, but maybe the snaps were a part of both the panel and the bag?

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.11.38 PM.png

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well, I certainly added them on my e9 and I believe there were two small holes in the bottom. Regardless you don’t want it sliding around.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
With the carpet and the weight, mine stays in place. I mean, why not Velcro if it slides around? I like things that can be undone/reversed.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just noticed that the one I got from CS Werk is different than the one pictured in that Bavaria on BaT. Mine has the wheel chock holder on the big part of the bag and the one on BaT has the chock holder on the small side of the bag. The one pictured on CS Werk's web site is the same as the one I received from them.

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 11.17.02 AM.png

@bavbob and @HB Chris (and anyone else with one in an E3), can you post a picture of yours and where it sits against the right vertical trunk panel? Thanks!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here is a BaT pic: