E3 Trunk Bag location

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Both examples Chris posted appear to have the tire chock holder on the small part of the bag which puts the tire chock on the outside face of the trunk...

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 2.24.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 2.25.28 PM.png

Although it is difficult to tell for sure...especially on the green car.

You can see a screw or fastener to hold a snap on the one in the green car.

@Christoph what is your take on this? Wedge holder to the rear of the car or to the front? Fastened with screws, snaps, or not at all? Did BMW change practices during production? Am I beating a dead horse here? ;)

Christoph

Reaction score
I just noticed that the one I got from CS Werk is different than the one pictured in that Bavaria on BaT. Mine has the wheel chock holder on the big part of the bag and the one on BaT has the chock holder on the small side of the bag. The one pictured on CS Werk's web site is the same as the one I received from them.

@bavbob and @HB Chris (and anyone else with one in an E3), can you post a picture of yours and where it sits against the right vertical trunk panel? Thanks!
The boot of my 76 3.0 S (series 3) is crammed but I remember the bag being screwed to the floor panel, the chock holder on the rear, and the carpet being cut out around the bag. My series 1 came with the bag gone. Of course, this does not help at all, for your Bavaria is a series 2.

There seem to be two different versions of the bag, see below. Pictures courtesy of the sellers. The early one has the chock on the front, the late one on the rear and rotated by 90 degrees. The change probably came with the introduction of the petrol tank overflow (series 3, 73/late summer). As your E3 is a 1971 car the bag Mr. Bier sent you should be correct.

Red car: holder on front, no overflow.
2800-72-25.jpg

Blue car: no sign of holder on front, overflow.
33L-75-8-23.jpg

Silver car: holder on rear, overflow.
30S-74-1-41.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think only 2500/2800 through 1970 had the snap on the side and they are almost impossible to snap, they were never on the floor. I will look for pics of my 70, I think chock holder is in the rear though. Edit, don’t have any pics but I will see the car in late October.

Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
Both examples Chris posted appear to have the tire chock holder on the small part of the bag which puts the tire chock on the outside face of the trunk...
The pictures get me quite confused for I have never encountered an E3 series 1 or 2 with a petrol overflow before these two. Must run thorugh my picture collection of USA versions. Please allow for a few days.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you @Christoph. My car is a 7/71 production, but a 1972 model year...that probably confuses the issue.

The plastic tank in the right rear for US cars was to vent the fuel tank. The fuel cap was not vented. A line went from the tank filler neck to that plastic tank, then a line from that to a charcoal filter canister mounted under the battery, then from that to the air cleaner housing. My 7/71 production Bavaria has that system.

Just to be clear, I am not interested in total originality with my car. The bag I received from CS Werk is quite nicely made. It will work in my car even though I have that plastic tank. I am curious, however, as to the different versions of the bag, when they were used, and how they were fastened (or not fastened). All part of the fun of the hobby for me.

I have also emailed Herr Bier and asked him about the differences. I will post here when he responds.

Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
Thank you @Christoph. My car is a 7/71 production, but a 1972 model year...that probably confuses the issue.

The plastic tank in the right rear for US cars was to vent the fuel tank. The fuel cap was not vented. A line went from the tank filler neck to that plastic tank, then a line from that to a charcoal filter canister mounted under the battery, then from that to the air cleaner housing. My 7/71 production Bavaria has that system.

Just to be clear, I am not interested in total originality with my car. The bag I received from CS Werk is quite nicely made. It will work in my car even though I have that plastic tank. I am curious, however, as to the different versions of the bag, when they were used, and how they were fastened (or not fastened). All part of the fun of the hobby for me.

I have also emailed Herr Bier and asked him about the differences. I will post here when he responds.
Just went through pictures of US E3. The system you describe seems to have been there much earlier than on the ECE cars and maybe more elaborate, too. My fault, sorry for not knowing. In Europe, it was introduced primarily to get rid of petrol fumes in the boot. Customers had complained their clothes smelled badly when they went on holiday.

My pictures of US cars (I've also found one @HB Chris posted) suggest the position of the chock was changed when the overflow tank appeared. Thus, or probably, for ECE cars the early version was retained while the US cars were already fitted with the late version of the bag.

Ten days from now, the E3-Club will have our annual gathering. Maybe I can take a look at some cars there though it will not solve the issue. We just do not have any Bavarias around, small wonder. From what I know you keep an eye on originality even though you say in this case you do not. Communicating with you is always a pleasure, and I wish I could do better.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
That all makes sense, Christoph....the change of the chock from a front pocket to a rear pocket when the plastic tank was introduced (earlier for US cars than for ECE cars). Thank you.

Please be sure to provide some pictures and event description of the E3 Club gathering. Is it always in the same location or does that rotate? Always the same time of year?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was joking about the equator because of Coriolis acceleration.............water circles the drain below the equator in one direction and opposite above the equator. I'll be quiet now.

Christoph

Reaction score
I was joking about the equator because of Coriolis acceleration.............water circles the drain below the equator in one direction and opposite above the equator. I'll be quiet now.
And I did not get it. Shame on me.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

These are for the wheel wells but same stuff and should be enough - you could ask him for a custom cut length to suit