E9’s are selling like Hotcakes on BAT 73 with 5 speed

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes. groups/bmwe9
Found it. Lots of interesting posts.
owner is definitely an enthusiast. Still wondering who did all the rattle can and paint brush work on the car. Doesn’t seem likely that a seller with this much experience with classic BMW’s would’ve do this himself. Maybe he took it to a bad restoration shop for a clean up and got back this mess

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the seller should be commended for being transparent with his photos. Nutty rhetoric aside, he really wasn’t trying to hide anything from prospective buyers. That’s more than I can say for a lot of classic car sales.
Example: he is totally up front about the cracked up dash and defrost vent
D8F53D99-A603-4DD6-B241-886617BD0A4F.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think the seller should be commended for being transparent with his photos. Nutty rhetoric aside, he really wasn’t trying to hide anything from prospective buyers. That’s more than I can say for a lot of classic car sales.
Example: he is totally up front about the cracked up dash and defrost ventView attachment 122602
I agree that the seller wasn’t trying to hide anything, including his thin skin. He’s still complaining about the critical comments about his car on other e9 BAT auctions; the CSL that sold today and Scott‘s Tundra 2800cs.

Roman596061

Reaction score
Scary wood. Reminds me of the Johnny Carson "soap opera"- The Edge of Wetness...

Not to be overly critical of the seller's sale, but the dash and cluster shots are a fright wig. (Pot to kettle confidential) The photo filters just make it more lurid and the spilled stain droplets don't help. Clearly he spent good money on the required rust items noted etc. and some other things took a back seat. If the rust really is at bay, the interior is a buyer's opportunity.
I'm unaware of any rust on my e9. The exterior is beautiful - taken to bare metal in 2013 and the front fender bubble rust was replaced with steel in 2019 and the hood just got down in May.

Since many believed that I was hiding rust in the undercarraige, last Sat I renting a lift and removed all of the protective rustoleom.

For the chap that question my time as a concours judge, attached are pics from under the rear seats (he asked for such after the BAT auction),

e9 under rear seat 2.jpg
e9 under rear seat.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
For the chap that question my time as a concours judge, attached are pics from under the rear seats (he asked for such after the BAT auction),
I've been cleaning the front seats and dash, etc.

Rear wells look solid!

I think that continued cleanup on the interior will go a long way. Whether you agree or not, your choice of touch up was not well received on BaT or the forum. The adjustments inside look like they were executed with lack of access to parts & resources. That may not be true, but that is how the car is perceived.

You might consider new seat covers from Gaah, a new carpet set from KHM, wrap the dash, locally, and redo the wood via Bella. I think your gauges are salvageable if you carefully scrape or use solvent to remove the lacquer from the face. The gauges are glass, that is not crazing of plastic. The bezels can be textured repainted cheaply and properly.

I may be optimistic but given labor rates in FL, I think you can completely transform the interior for $10K.

If you don’t want to invest money in the car, simply adjust your expectations to account for the poor the condition of the interior, and an already softening market. I could be wrong but I think the summer e9 insanity is over. I would target getting the car sold before December, which is aggressive at this point.

As a seller your are under scrutiny. As an active forum member seeking to rectify problem areas on your car - you will get nothing but support. Members here only wish to provide sound advice and observations at this point. :)