E9 Owners Age Group

bobabob

Reaction score
First assignment 1971 out of Vietnam was Germany where I had gone to school in the early 60's. Planned on a new Lotus what with my saved gazillions (scotch was about $3.00 a bottle for Chivas in 'Nam and we used to brush our teeth with it!)...saw a new 2800 CS on a showroom floor and it was instant lust. I was 25 at the time and traveled throughout Europe, skiing the Alps every weekend--what a life! In those days BMW meant bikes and the 2002 was just making its name in the US.

Brought the CS back to the states and was having "Cool King" air added in Dallas. Long story short, the shop burned to the ground a huge steel girder fell and cut my love/lust in half.

Fastforward 36 years, a lot of hot cars later, looking for a new car but nothing lit my fire. #1 Son, Ferrari owner, says "Dad, what was your favourite car ever?". That was over 2 years ago...Christ Keifer and Carl steered me to my new lust and the .... eating grin hasn't left my face since! Planned on 2-3,000 miles a year, but, as many here know, the real beauty is in the driving--averaging 20k miles since purchase with (6) 1500 mile trips; the grin just won't stop!

Add one for a (now) 67 year old...

tmason

Reaction score
Great Thread
Many good stories here! 54.8 years old and stumbled into mine a couple+ years ago.Had many 02's with the last being a 73tii for 15 years always thinking of giving to my boys as thier 1st car but became to close to her to do that.Saw my 1st coupe at age 25 and had to have one.Look at a couple but found it was out of price range at that time.Found mine on CL purchased in hopes of keeping both CS&tii. Wrong,wife steps in and one must go so I let the tii go.:(I miss her but this one is a keeper till I win the Lottery and I can get a CSL.The thing about cars is there are so many that look like cool running around town but when you see an e9 you always double take because you know there is not many left and you think your eyes are playing a trick.Happen to me the last time at the Wharf,leaning on a meter next to the street as one comes cruising past me, as I watched it travel down the road like Artwork I'm left wondering if the Owner is here helping us with any question we have on fixing them up!Great Forum!

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great story, plus two little known facts:

- E9 ain't strong enough to take a falling steel girder.
- Chivas in 'Nam business is so good your sons will drive around in Ferraris.

Enjoy the ride.

First assignment 1971 out of Vietnam was Germany where I had gone to school in the early 60's. Planned on a new Lotus what with my saved gazillions (scotch was about $3.00 a bottle for Chivas in 'Nam and we used to brush our teeth with it!)...saw a new 2800 CS on a showroom floor and it was instant lust. I was 25 at the time and traveled throughout Europe, skiing the Alps every weekend--what a life! In those days BMW meant bikes and the 2002 was just making its name in the US.

Brought the CS back to the states and was having "Cool King" air added in Dallas. Long story short, the shop burned to the ground a huge steel girder fell and cut my love/lust in half.

Fastforward 36 years, a lot of hot cars later, looking for a new car but nothing lit my fire. #1 Son, Ferrari owner, says "Dad, what was your favourite car ever?". That was over 2 years ago...Christ Keifer and Carl steered me to my new lust and the .... eating grin hasn't left my face since! Planned on 2-3,000 miles a year, but, as many here know, the real beauty is in the driving--averaging 20k miles since purchase with (6) 1500 mile trips; the grin just won't stop!

Add one for a (now) 67 year old...

Kev

Reaction score
Dinosaur is not an age, it is a mindset, and can be diagnosed by the things we focus on.

My fiancee is always wont to comment on the fact that I'm more 82 than 28 in mindset. If I let my hair grow out too long, she starts calling me "The Asian James May." :lol:

shanon

Reaction score
this entertaing thread should be sticky!

Almost 45 now....

My brothers and I grew up acquiring Dad's Brit car 'illness', he was a Jag man. My first car was inheriting Dad's '70 TR6 in high school, there was also an E-type around when my older brother first got his drivers license = good times! So, yes, we got great sounding in-line sixes in our blood early in life, and I still have a soft spot for a AH 3000 BN7...

I got away from of cars during the college/bohemian years. Unreliable Old Brit cars, college expenses and the urban jungle didn't mix very well for me and the TR6. Sold the TR6 to stay in school. Yes that sucked hard but got many good times out if it! (Thx, pops!)

Then my older brother introduced me to his '73 E9 years later in the late 90s where he often gave me the keys and a wink when visiting him around the Carmel/Monterey coast area. I fell instantly for his CS....His street car later evolved into a street legal vintage racer over the years in which I enjoyed quite a bit of seat time during its development.

During that time, another E9 racer friend lost storage of his street E9 project and made us an offer we could not refuse. We quickly abandoned a 2800CSA project we had just started to prep and drug the very scruffy and rough '70 2800cs home in 2002.

I didn't care that there was a wife, a house to fix and a newborn crawling around. Like stated previously, it was now or never! I had the garage space, some sibling help, a concise vision, and a realistic and sustainable plan .... and my then two year old could help out too! He definitely has and a tear came to my eye when I got to take my son for his first ride in 'our' coupe...he loves the side exhaust when affixed! I hope to teach him to drive in it.

Its been over ten years of stewardship now and the project has been tremendously satisfying. My escape pod is kept ready any day of the week.

I hope to keep this one for a LONG, LONG time and had it down. Fingers crossed.

"Keep on Couping!" MF

-Shanon

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
age speaking

Interesting. 41 years ago I was taken for a short ride in a just-out-of-the-box Polaris 3.0CSL and I knew then that I just had to have one. 2285295 and I have been together now for 40 years and I never tire of looking in awe at her. Just to open the bonnet and drool at the aircraft-quality aluminium work in the construction of that panel is worth all the tea in China. I appreciate that car more now at the age of 65 than ever before. Nothing else on wheels comes close.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fell in love with my rhd csl at age 10 or so, remember asking my dad about the restoration he started in 1989. it finally went to be restored in 1997 with my baby seat still in it. I got it age 17 and now at 31 am still trying to get it how I want!

rodspock

Reaction score
Then and Now

This thread takes me back:

Then I was 21.

I had seen a golf yellow E9 for sale in a car yard in Sydney as a teenager and fell in love with the CS shape. After rolling my previous car, I was in need of new wheels. I enquired about a handful of E9s for sale.

One of the cars for sale was owned by a gay couple in Bourke St, Sydney. When I purchased the car it was original inka orange with Momo basketweave 14" wheels. When enquiring about the car, the colour was described as "lickable" and the wheels described as "a dizzy arrangement". I test drove the car, was taken to met with the partner who wore the pants to discuss price. A deal was done and I owned my dream car at the age of 21.

I did quite a few miles on the car on country roads between Wagga Wagga, Sydney and Toowoomba in the next 4-5 years. While the car was perfect for these conditions I decided it was time to preserve the car, and purchased an Aussie Ford XY Falcon.

The car was top-loaded on a truck to Nowra from Toowoomba. Sadly, a forklift was driven through the drivers window. On reversing out it picked up the quarter window frame, until the door lock gave way. Folding the door forward on the front guard. As the car had some rust, I decided to strip the car down for a complete rebuild.

Now I am 45 - with grey hair.

The inka orange has been on the road for only two years since rebuild. That is about 16 years off the road - time to let the paint harden before its first polish last year. The car now has a 3.3 litre balanced engine (out to 3.4), triple Webers, extractors, 5-speed and LSD. It is running 16 Alpinas, stiffened suspension, renewed wood and dark blue velour interior (my understanding is that the blue interior is rare with the orange cars, most had black or beige interiors).

The car performs superbly, even against modern M machinery. It is an event every time I get into it, and the induction noise brings a huge grin.

Dave L

Reaction score
Age group

I'm 53 physically, maybe 20 mentally.
My coupe ownership came in sort of an offhand way. Like may of the great cars I've owned, I didn't know what I had when I bought it. (Like when I had a 320 I Alpina and didn't know what I had and sold it....young and dumb). Anyway, Ten years ago I was looking for a nice project 2002 when I saw the 2800cs and bought it instead (which is a whole story in itself). Thankfully wisdom has come with age and I've kept this one.

Dave L
(Funny, thinking of my first statement: does anyone else ever look in the mirror and think "who is that old guy, cause that ain't me"?

coupelady

Reaction score
e9 owner age group

Not quite up to Murray but women can be obsessed too:

over 60, I have been a coupe steward for 30 years, the same 3.0! Just spoke with a new owner who is almost through with his restoration, another is saved. He spoke so very highly about this forum, if only I had this outlet when my restoration begun in 1990 but through phone calls (remember them?) catalogues, the Roundel, CS Register and other Coupe owners the job got done.

Saw a new 1972 3.0CS on the showroom floor of Haufkameyer Motors in KC and really wanted one then but a new 2002 was much more affordable. They really do get under your skin long term..........

Amy
NC

Beemer70

Reaction score
43 - My fave cars when a kid were the Ferrari Daytona & De Tomaso Mangusta - everyone else liked the Countach & 512 BB - but I much preferred my yellow Corgi Daytona age 3.
Always quite liked the 6 series but E9's were not on my radar except vaguely with the ugly little orange 1:43 corgi model.
Things changed when I saw my first E9 in the flesh aged 20 & was totally smitten! It was a polaris silver one that glided past me in profile from right to left & that was the beginning of the life long love affair.