E9 Owners Age Group

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought my first one at 30 and now I'm 50. Geez, it seems older when you type it out..

Should've started a poll with this question...

Dan

RICHI587

Reaction score
Just purchased my first 2800cs. I have owned a E90 bmw for about 2 years and was looking at 2002's when i stumbled upon the 2800. I am 25 and looking forward to the driving restore.

ruduger

Reaction score
Aging gracefully

I'll be 59 in a couple months. Bought a verona 72 Tii back '75, Loved it, until my pride and joy was written off in 85.
Picked up my "nachtblau" 72 Cs 1.5yrs ago from Kelowna. Driving/enjoying it most days, but it needs some more TLC to make me really proud. Living in S. Ontario, haven't seen another on the road to date, but I don't get out much. I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

pamp

Reaction score
Bought my first 2002 when I was 14 yrs. old. Got away from BMW cars in the '80s when I was raising a family....MB's and Volvo cars for safety and budget. My 3.0 I would consider my "midlife crisis" car.... bought in '06. What I lusted for in High School. Definitely smarter now and wish I had spent the Xtra $$$ for a better example. Could have had a CSL for what I have in this car to date! I am 53....

Kev

Reaction score
27 here, though people who know me tell me I look like I'm in high school. :-|

gdub0717

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought a CS 3 months ago.
Two years ago I saw one and that was it!
Had to have one. The timing was right (not according to my wife) and found one locally. Correct rust to condition ratio and now it is in my garage. Just turned 46.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a handicap. First E9 in the mid 50's

1st it was saving up to get married (it's really expensive, I don't recommend it).
Then I had to sock away a ton of money for the kids college education (2 of them). I had to sell all but one of the 2002's to get it up to the right level.
Then it was getting my SO a new, loaded Mercedes every few years.
Then we moved to Boston and what was once funds for a nice big house in Michigan became inadequate ... especially if we wanted space for more than 3 cars.
Then came preschool for 4 years for 2 kids. Think "slightly used F360" up in smoke.
Then came setting up the retirement fund (forget buying that new M5).
Then came the English cars that defined the sports car experience for a decade post WW2 (highly recommended).
Finally ... after 30 years of e9 envy I had some spare change and bought one
And of course I promptly sold it to the nicest guy and I'm once again in the market.
And I have yet to setup and fund the race car account...
Boy, I never thought it'd be this hard ...

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
46 and have been lucky enough to own several BMWs. My 2800 was supposed to be my "first" coupe. I enjoy it more than than any other car I've owned- including my CSL! It has a soul/feel/smell that speaks to my heart and I'll be damned if I ever sell!

As Murray says, keep on couping!

wasatch

Reaction score
Alright, I'll chime in:) Last spring I nearly pulled the trigger on an over-priced agave coupe in SF for 12K from a dealer, in need of full restoration. I backed out. I munched and mulled. Last February I was in Munchen on business and stared dumbfounded at the green coupe in the museum (yeah, you know the one) for way too long. I swore it was the prettiest damn machine in that building, including that hot old convertible, and all the newfangled cars in their modern wing across the foot bridge. That night, at my hotel, i logged on to this nutty website full of all you loons, found a black one in Portland in the classifieds section, and sight unseen made an offer/bought it. What an idiot. Well, it's turned out mostly okay. $12.5 was the purchase price, and i'm sure I'm in around plus $5K just to get her to decent 6 months later. I can't stop staring at her. That's a problem. I justify all my receipts and expenses and then wonder why at the end of the month I have no money left. A body shop or two here that have dealt with tons of coupes says when I've asked about a respray or frame off deal, "a can of worms" "have your head checked". My car is mostly rust free (save for under the darn hood). I developed this obsession with spending a ton of money soda blasting, all that jazz, making her (040 Atlantik like Murray's). And then i had a realization: one day i'm going to die and all that blasting and paint and all that isn't going to matter. I'll be dead. My great uncle served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. The only car he owned when he returned from 'Nam was a cream 1970 Ford Thunderbird. His only car until he died in 2007. The thing had rust, dents, and character all over. But I had good memories in that thing, and it was part of his fabric/soul. Long story short, I'm beginning to re-think the expensive strip/etc and just drive her, enjoy her on sunny non-winter days. She's black. Her name is Uschi. She's a cantankerous bitch. But a total supermodel. Her interior smells like an old, special memory. And she purrs like a fine girl I once knew. But like some girls, she has a never ending knock list that I'm so tired of, and that credit card addiction. But I plan on keeping her a long, long time. If i win the lottery, I'll do that frame off body renew for a gazzilion dollars. I'm 33, almost 34. She's 42. I put her away in a heated storage facility for the long Utah winter (master card). Let's see how Uschi treats me when I snuggle up to her and wake her up in late March...My guess is she'll be passive aggressive for about 38 days and then sort of behave...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Alright, I'll chime in:) ...Her interior smells like an old, special memory. And she purrs like a fine girl I once knew. But like some girls, she has a never ending knock list that I'm so tired of, and that credit card addiction. But I plan on keeping her a long, long time. If i win the lottery, I'll do that frame off body renew for a gazzilion dollars. I'm 33, almost 34. She's 42. I put her away in a heated storage facility for the long Utah winter (master card). Let's see how Uschi treats me when I snuggle up to her and wake her up in late March...My guess is she'll be passive aggressive for about 38 days and then sort of behave...

good story !
sometimes i look at my todo list and...
but in my case it is still a pleasure to do those things by myself !
okay, i do not need a respray !
cheers !

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
You're just a baby, have patience

If i win the lottery, I'll do that frame off body renew for a gazzilion dollars. I'm 33, almost 34. She's 42.

There's no frame-off on an E9, but the right thing to do is a fenders and rockers off restoration. You were smart enough to get into this old car thing young so be patient. Over time the means will become available to get the car done to your satisfaction. Meanwhile, I'd say the most important thing is to keep her drivable and put some miles on her every winter (and change the brake/coolant every 2 years without fail).

Wish I had your foresight and financial means when I was 32. I was still eating hot dogs and instant Ramen back then.

waynesie

Reaction score
I like this thread... and I am engineer, I had to do it.
Just did a quick tally (might be off by a couple)

Current Age:
20-25: II
26-30: IIII
31-35: IIIII
36-40: IIIII
41-45: IIIIIIIIII
46-50: IIIIIIII
51-55: IIIIIIIII
56-60: IIIIIII
61-65: IIIII
66-70: I
70-80: I
80+ : I

Age of First CS Purchase:
20-25: IIIIIIII
26-30: IIIIIII
31-35: IIIIIII
41-45: IIIII
46-50: I
51-55: IIIIII
56-60: I
66-70:
70-80:
80+ :

So several posts did not include first purchase.
Also, these numbers might not reflect the true age population of ouners, just the age population that fequent this forum. As I know from my older relatives and friends, they do not spend nearly as much time on the internet.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very nice, but I stand by my statement that we are in the dinosaur category.
Dinosaur is not an age, it is a mindset, and can be diagnosed by the things we focus on.

I like this thread... and I am engineer, I had to do it.
Just did a quick tally (might be off by a couple)

Current Age:
20-25: II
26-30: IIII
31-35: IIIII
41-45: IIIIIIIIII
46-50: IIIIIIII
51-55: IIIIIIIII
56-60: IIIIIII
66-70: I
70-80: I
80+ : I

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Saw my first E9 at boarding school on a parents weekend in 1973, the most beautiful elegant woman stepped out of the car and I was forever in love. I sadly had to wait 38 years before I was able to finally able to consummate that love.
I now have a 73 Polaris 3.0 CSi just like the one I fell in love with and at 55 I'm working hard to make sure she is back on the road in great condition for her 40th.

That really is love, was the woman as attractive when she was 60+? And however did you find her? Oh wait, you meant the car..... Sorry :)

pamp

Reaction score
Way to go kid! Reminds me of Sam Posey who used to drive around his parents Connecticut estate in a new MB 300 SL Gullwing when he was 14 - 15 years old.