E9 Owners Age Group

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
35 but...

feeling a little kid in a candy store when i'm driving it. Maybe that the best aspect of an E9?

I purchased my E9 right after knowing that my wife and I were expecting a baby. "Now's the time!" friends said; "Once the baby's there, the money and time are gone".

And indeed i'm glad i have these friends; I bought it at 32.
It took 2 weeks to make up my mind what i wanted (old engish car, italian or ...) and finally i settled for the combo of comfort, style and engineering quality.
It's quite classy transport to drop of 2 todlers at daycare and drive on towards the office.

Been driving daily for 3 years before deciding to fix her up a bit.
It's now in the garage, partly disassembled, and waiting for attention.
And now with a second child walking around and a 3rd on the way, even the "little fix" will take 2 years.:sad:

Erik.

rb1971

Reaction score
Just turned 41, not too far ahead of my coupe (although it's had a lot more plastic/metal surgery than I have, at least yet). My wife would say I often act about 16, especially when the topic is cars, and driving the coupe shaves off a couple decades.

Orangener

Reaction score
I bought my Orange when I was 33, 2 years after my divorce and half a year after a terrible disease to make my childhood dream come true
Because i realised live is too short to waste time.
Now i´m 48....and she´s still with me ! :razz:

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
59 and 5/6s. When I was 17, driving a '69 2002 (auto...step-father's new purchase) for the first time changed my life. No more GTO "Judge" worship, ever. The 2800 CS in those days became my only dream car. Couldn't get one until 47 ('74 3.0CS.)
Given the intrinsic, timeless beauty of these cars, is it any wonder they appeal to all age groups? What other car has such a hold on people?

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
I'm 45 and bought my 2800CS 2 years ago.

The funny thing is that I've had many cars over the past 28 years but was never really interested in classic BMWs... When I was a kid, I liked the looks of the 3.0CSL Group 2 race cars, but that was pretty much it... Until about 3 years ago. I was driving home on a rare So Cal rainy day and happened to follow a 3.0CS for about a mile or so. All of a sudden, I started having a new appreciation for its neat lines. When I got home I immediately started looking for one on ebay...:p

nice_coup

Reaction score
Bought my first 3.0CS when i was about 22. She was destroyed 6 years ago.

Bought my second 3.0CS about 2 months ago, am now 34. I hope to have her on the road in around 6 months (she needs a lot of love!)

Trev

Reaction score
I'm 47 and bought my 3.0CS a year ago from Mike Pelly. When I was growing up my Mom had a Nova and my Dad a Chevy station wagon, horrible. But my very cool friends parents, David Carr, had a 3.0 and a Alpha GTS. I wanted both since I was 12. I have the 3.0 now, along with a '78 Indy Pace Car Corvette. I'm still thinking about the getting an Alpha too, but I'm worried about having an Italian car. Love the 3.0 if only the power windows wouldn't always be turning into such a big pain.

Last edited:

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I'm 28 now, and picked up my coupe when I was 20. It has turned out to be a longer term project than intended, but I'm just happy I don't have to push it anymore!

ledge67

Reaction score
Im 24 and bought my 72 3.0cs this time last year. My mate had showed me hi res pictures of Mike Borroughs' e9 from the Stanceworks website, a model of car i had never seen before. It was a pitty the wheels were too big and the car far too low, but dispite her flaws i instantly fell in love with the shape and figure of the car. Straight away i was on carsales looking to see what the price was on such a fantastic car. There were only 2 E9's for sale in all of Australia. A 73 3.0csl s38 full blown grp 2 race car for $350,000 and a tidy looking 72 3.0cs for $28,000 both in my home town. I never intended to buy the car, just to take it for a drive and see how good they looked in person. Three days after "first" seeing an E9, i bought the 72 3.0cs off carsales, and have never looked back.

fredp

Reaction score
Saw my first E9 at boarding school on a parents weekend in 1973, the most beautiful elegant woman stepped out of the car and I was forever in love. I sadly had to wait 38 years before I was able to finally able to consummate that love.
I now have a 73 Polaris 3.0 CSi just like the one I fell in love with and at 55 I'm working hard to make sure she is back on the road in great condition for her 40th.

wmnewlife

Reaction score
In 1980 I traded a 320i for a dark blue (just like Blumax) 73 CS with tan leather. The inspiration came from my friend Charlie, who had a malaga 73 with tan pigskin seats, side draft webers, headers, 16" alpinas with Pirelli P7's. We tore up the roads in Atlanta and Athens and loved every minute. Unfortunately, an ex-wife front end crashed my pride and joy, and the decision was made to let it go. I had lived in Chicago for a winter, so it was a rust bucket in waiting, and upon reflection, could have made a good call, but the memories lingered. Last February, I picked up a relatively rust free 70 2800CS and am in the process of renovating with parts help from Ben at LaJolla, and body and wrencehing from Mike Lembcke here in Atlanta. As to age, I am 61, but can't reconcile that with my mental age of 18.

Bax

Reaction score
After 2 years of working out what my next classic was going to be, I would have test driven 30 different cars from US and Aussie muscle, to Italian to French to British. I finally set my heart on a csi even though I hadn't even seen one in the flesh let alone drive one. I figured, ALL the positive reports from owners and motoring critics couldn't be wrong. I wanted a Verona red. I searched the Net for 2 years, everywhere from the UK, Germany etc.. By Fluke I found a Verona red 2 hrs drive from home owned by a client's brother. The condition and price were right. I've owned it for 6 months now and I'm 45. Absolutely love it and I cant wait to start restoration next year. I'll be documenting and probably posting it on You Tube. I'll keep the Forum posted.

Last edited:

Bill Cutler

Reaction score
Yep, we are in the BMW club, although we don't go to all the meetings.

My coupe went from this

Asboughtrhf.jpg

via this

Paintedshellrhf.jpg

to this

467-1.jpg

about six years ago. Still a great car, drove it last weekend....... Happy to give you a few tips !! We are inner east Melb....

Bax

Reaction score
Yep, we are in the BMW club, although we don't go to all the meetings.

My coupe went from this

Asboughtrhf.jpg

via this

Paintedshellrhf.jpg

to this

467-1.jpg

about six years ago. Still a great car, drove it last weekend....... Happy to give you a few tips !! We are inner east Melb....

Looks great. I too don't go to all the meetings but I will look you up when I start the process.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just had my 64th on Saturday.
Just got my coupe in May and have been fixing so many things that I bet I haven't driven it 100 miles.
I have owned a fun and fast 88 M5 for the last 5 years as well. Just had it on the track at Mid-Ohio DE and got a third in the super clean class at Ofest. 160000 miles.
I do all my own work on my cars and love every minute of it!

Gary

Bwana

Reaction score
Approaching 55 here. Seems like I've always had little pick up trucks, from the original Dodge D-50 thru my current supercharged Tacoma. Having to drive across town a lot for my job, I was getting tired of my fillings being rattled out in the truck so started looking for a "proper car". We saw a coupe being driven by one our members here while out in the Bay area. I don't recall ever seeing one when I was a kid. Looked it up and discovered couples were "affordable" to some extent and finally bought one two years ago. Got an A/C, suspension, and 5-speed installed. Currently my daily driver.

BP1

Site Donor
Reaction score

Didn't know coupe's existed until a year ago. After graduating college in '73 bought a '58 mbz 220se cabriolet (chocolate brown w/ red leather) as my daily driver. Bought it for $5K, drove it 5 years (not one repair bill), sold it for $5K (yeah, I know what it's now worth). Lots of fun memories. Since then I've owned a 320i, 633csi, Lexus, and currently a ML55. So late last year I thought I would try to relive the buy, drive, sell for same money experience again. After some research I chose the coupe. Bought one this March (for a bit more than $5K) and have been using it as my daily driver. So far, lots of fun memories too.