Fair Market Value of E9 - Insurance Company is offering me $12k

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Totally agree. You bring your gem to people you trust and they give an estimate. It is the job of Hagerty and their lawyers to ensure you get it fixed and for no money from you other than your deductible. They fight with the insurance company of the putz who hit you. Also, I have found the adjustors are on OUR side, love these older cars and help out. After approval of the repair, they seem to approve all the additional money for unforseen damages the initial adjustment could not assess for. I love Hagerty but like any other insurance company, if they didn't make money, they would close their doors.

3germancars

Reaction score
Fair Market Value of E9 - Insurance Company is offering me $12k - Update

I got no where fighting with Harleysville on the FMV of my car, despite my 25 comps. Their final offer to me was $12,170. I argued that I minimally wanted their appraisal damage of $12,767.48 with me keeping the car and the clean title. They agreed but are forcing me to sign a waiver against any additional damage (i.e. hood can't be opened). I bitched again but they wouldn't budge. I removed the front grills and determined that no additional damage had occurred.

I created this site - http://my-lousy-harleysville-insurance-experience.com/

The only options I had with my insurer (Hagerty) was to accept my under insured value of $15k. They would not and did not go to bat or assist me at all with Harleysville, other than giving me the link to their car valuations.

I sent out three quotes today for the parts and plan to have the car towed to the body shop tomorrow to see if they can repair it with the allocated insurance monies. I won't sign off on the $12,767.48 until I'm certain it can be fixed without any unreasonably out of pocket expenses.

In the meantime, I desperately need a rear bumper solution, as the left rear piece is no longer made.

Thanks

Richard
[email protected]

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Quote from your website: "My carrier, by default, placed my vehicle on a salvage site, which yielded a high bid of $5,100. How can a car valued @ $12,170 with $13k in damages be worth a whopping $5,100? Harleysville declined to comment on my analogy.

It makes sense to me that a classic car valued @ $25k car with $13k in damage would be valued @ $5,100 in savage parts - but that's just me."

The cost of damages and the salvage value are two completely different things and are not related, and the ins. company knows this. Like you said, the numbers work out fairly closely to how I buy salvage. I'm happy to double my investment when I buy a salvaged car for parts. If I spent $5100 (plus auctions fees of about $500-600), I hope to get around $10k or more from part sales. Not seeing the photos of your damaged car, I would suspect that the $5100 bid was from "builder" that was going to fix the car, not from a dismantler.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Richard - Unfortunately it sounds like you are down to two options: take the deal or hire an attorney. The latter could get expensive quickly, but perhaps just an hour or two of consultation to determine if there are any other legal avenues open to you.

On the plus side:

1. Repairing front engine damage involving radiators, waterpumps, etc, are not big ticket items compared to body work, panels, and alignment.

2. Are the existing rust conditions of the body panels such that you could consider the repair work as part of a "forced" restoration. They provide $12k plus you contribute a bit more to take care of other rust issues while they have the four corner panels off the car. Most of the car will likely need new paint, etc. I am not sure how much more you would need, or what the condition of the car was before the accident, or your available resources - just another way to look at it.

good luck,