First Oil/Filter Change

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've had it with surly dealer parts counter people, and Maximillian's poor customer service. Now I just wait until I have enough parts to order and then go to penskeparts.com. GREAT customer service, and I don't waste time driving back and forth...

bmw art car

Reaction score
I've had it with surly dealer parts counter people, and Maximillian's poor customer service. Now I just wait until I have enough parts to order and then go to penskeparts.com. GREAT customer service, and I don't waste time driving back and forth...

I am sure , i can help you better with any parts you may need.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sven: because I have a few sheets of gasket paper, because making gaskets is easy, and because I don't want to drive 10 miles to my dealer to buy one gasket, which they will invariably have to order from somewhere, which means I would have to come back again. But, you make a point. Just my preference. If I ever need a part and have to go to the dealer to get it, perhaps I will order some gaskets...If I remember.

+1
and also because is fun making your own parts when you can, I make my own gaskets of paper and also rubber gaskets (seals) whenever I can

my home made filter gasket:
171020101233.jpg

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ:
Nice! Now with the $2.50 you saved, you can buy yourself a decent beer (a Weyerbacher Winter Ale comes to mind...)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DeQ:
Nice! Now with the $2.50 you saved, you can buy yourself a decent beer (a Weyerbacher Winter Ale comes to mind...)

it is not a question of saving money, :-D, but if you put it that way, i agree with you, when the work is finished, a cold beer and a seat in the stairs facing the dawning sun (sorry do not have weyerbacher, a franziskaner heffe weisbier will do)

regards and cheers !

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
ja,ja,ja,ja (laugh in spanish):-D

yes, you say "setting" sun, ok that way it will be, i was considering that from dusk to dawn, the "-ing" will be correct
in fact, no problem which the position of the sun is, I meant this:
PApeque952.jpg

including a beer in your hands:-D

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, if I'm reading the shop manual correctly, the torque spec for the four M8 bolts (8.8 tension category) that secure the housing to the block should be 15.91 ±1.45 ft/lbs. FYI—There's a note in the manual stating that the torque should be lowered by 30% for cadmium bolts. I ordered new shorter top bolts from BMW and guess what, they're cadmium.

Also, anyone know the correct torque for the large M12 bolt securing the filter canister to the housing? According to the manual it should be 53.06 ±5.78 ft/lbs., but this seems excessive to me. I tried retightening that bolt and the O-ring popped out after just a few turns with the ratchet.

Thanks.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Len,

I just do it by feel, just make sure you have a new gasket on the block, 16 ft/lbs isn't very much. For the filter canister, make sure the o-ring is seated well and there isn't another old one in there too. I can't imagine one popping out either, and 53 ft/lbs may be the spec but that's an awful lot of torque. Just make sure it is very snug, you aren't going to snap an M12 bolt.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't believe that the O-ring popped out either! I removed the old one; maybe it wasn't seated properly...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On my first coupe I had an o-ring pop out on a very cold day with heavy weight oil - I thought I had blown my engine up looking at the mess it made!

I couldn't believe that the O-ring popped out either! I removed the old one; maybe it wasn't seated properly...

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score
I made the horrifying discovery during my first oil change that the PO had somehow lost the spring, tensioner plate, and the inner gasket (small one) and never replaced them! So the oil filter had been rattling around in there not able to do its job for who knows how long...:mad: I guess when I bought it he had just changed the oil because everything looked reasonably clean.

PS I found it useful to use masking tape to keep the bolt from falling out the bottom of the assembly as I lowered it in from above when replacing. Then crawled under to tighten it up.

-Travis

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me!

I made the horrifying discovery during my first oil change that the PO had somehow lost the spring, tensioner plate, and the inner gasket (small one) and never replaced them! So the oil filter had been rattling around in there not able to do its job for who knows how long...:mad:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I made the horrifying discovery during my first oil change that the PO had somehow lost the spring, tensioner plate, and the inner gasket (small one) and never replaced them! So the oil filter had been rattling around in there not able to do its job for who knows how long...:mad: I guess when I bought it he had just changed the oil because everything looked reasonably clean.

PS I found it useful to use masking tape to keep the bolt from falling out the bottom of the assembly as I lowered it in from above when replacing. Then crawled under to tighten it up.

-Travis

wellcome to the club of horrified owners of e9´s

this is what i found when i first changed my oil filter, spring was present, but no trace of the tensioning plate (wish to be "dirty harry" ): :evil::evil::evil:

zwystv.jpg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
makes me wonder what other surprises are lurking below...sure there are plenty!

you are a wise man, you have discovered it, the normal case is to put a new filter a new gasket, tighten the screw, and run away !

surprises !, life is a surprise ! don´t take it too seriously, and...try to check as much as you can ! ha, ha, ha :-D

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

-Travis

may be ok !, but better :

if you close a little (with the plyers) the last turn of the spring in it´s narrowest side, it will be bitting the long screw, thus when you assemble it from inside the bolt will not fall

don´t forget to use appropriate and new copper washer, i suppose you know this drawing

regards
30c9ilj.jpg

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, the new O-ring popped out after a few turns of the ratchet! Just how tight should the large bolt be?

61porsche

Reaction score
25-30lbs. Maybe a 1/2 turn or so after snug. Wipe the oil out of the recess so the o-ring stays in better.