Five speed conversion on bring a trailer

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,
Your car is a US market CS. I would assume it already has a 3.64 rear diff. Do you know it has otherwise?

Can't flame a guy for outbidding you. This kit wasn't aimed at a 4-speed to 5-speed conversion anyway (which is what you are contemplating). It is meant for someone with an automatic that wants to convert, I think.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Paul's auction, it looks like it is doing just fine, but I guess I am in the minority camp in just sticking with the original 4-speed. That is a lot of money (and time) to spend on something that in all actuality rarely gets used to its potential. Meaning, when I lived in SoCal for 12 years, I just assumed I'd be lucky to hit occasional stints at 80+mph due to traffic congestion, up and down the coast. Fast freeway driving is not my thing anyways. And when you do get the chance, the motors on these cars, whether they be 2800's, 3.0L's, 3.3L's or 3.5L on up, don't seem to mind the revs. They actually seem to like it.

But where the true enjoyment for me came in was mountainous driving or very twisty backroads, I'll take the speeding tickets there. And I feel the 4-speed is more then well equipped for the ups and downs of the twisties. 3rd gear especially, going up and down the mountains. Anyhow, just my opinion and I'm sticking to it...LOL. Driven in plenty of 5-speeds and pumped up motors LSD's etc. and still love the 4-speed tranny. 5-speeds typically not that good off the line either from dead stop. Plus I picked up a couple backups for cheap if the 4-speed ever needed rebuilding, there are two sitting in my garage ready to go. But as they say, "whatever blows your hair back!"

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Paul's auction, it looks like it is doing just fine, but I guess I am in the minority camp in just sticking with the original 4-speed. That is a lot of money (and time) to spend on something that in all actuality rarely gets used to its potential. Meaning, when I lived in SoCal for 12 years, I just assumed I'd be lucky to hit occasional stints at 80+mph due to traffic congestion, up and down the coast. Fast freeway driving is not my thing anyways. And when you do get the chance, the motors on these cars, whether they be 2800's, 3.0L's, 3.3L's or 3.5L on up, don't seem to mind the revs. They actually seem to like it.

But where the true enjoyment for me came in was mountainous driving or very twisty backroads, I'll take the speeding tickets there. And I feel the 4-speed is more then well equipped for the ups and downs of the twisties. 3rd gear especially, going up and down the mountains. Anyhow, just my opinion and I'm sticking to it...LOL. Driven in plenty of 5-speeds and pumped up motors LSD's etc. and still love the 4-speed tranny. 5-speeds typically not that good off the line either from dead stop. Plus I picked up a couple backups for cheap if the 4-speed ever needed rebuilding, there are two sitting in my garage ready to go. But as they say, "whatever blows your hair back!"
I always wondered why they didn’t include a five speed at the time. Other cars had five speeds then. Generally speaking, I have to agree with your assessment. I think I will simply forget about this for now. Really curious to see whether wayne wins the auction at 8000 or someone else works in an out fits him. I predict he is going to own this and regret doing so since he doesn’t even have a car to put it in. He thinks he can resell it for more

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you have an automatic, it's a no-brainer to go 5spd.

If you have a 4-speed...well...a nice to have definitely, but I think the $6-10k for the conversion can be spent elsewhere.

I just happen to have a setup because I bought an '80 E12 5spd for cheap ($400) that was running and driving.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Other cars had five speeds then.
Scott
I’m no expert, but I think 5spds were not all that common back then. Alfa had a 5spd, but they were very early to introduce many things to mass market cars. BMW’s main competitor was Mercedes & Audi. I don’t think Mercedes offered a 5spd in 1974. And a 5spd in a W113 series was pretty rare. Audi also didn’t offer a 5spd. Porsche did offer it as an upgrade, but the 911 Turbo didn’t get a 5spd till late in the 1980’s.

So I don’t think it was a mistake by BMW to make the 4spd standard.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott
I’m no expert, but I think 5spds were not all that common back then. Alfa had a 5spd, but they were very early to introduce many things to mass market cars. BMW’s main competitor was Mercedes & Audi. I don’t think Mercedes offered a 5spd in 1974. And a 5spd in a W113 series was pretty rare. Audi also didn’t offer a 5spd. Porsche did offer it as an upgrade, but the 911 Turbo didn’t get a 5spd till late in the 1980’s.

So I don’t think it was a mistake by BMW to make the 4spd standard.
I love that era of cars and it seems that there are several that had five speeds. I can name them all but a quick Internet search reveals:
Until the arrival of the Porsche 911T in 1968, the 911 exclusively used a five-speed gearbox.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love that era of cars and it seems that there are several that had five speeds. I can name them all but a quick Internet search reveals:
Until the arrival of the Porsche 911T in 1968, the 911 exclusively used a five-speed gearbox.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Completely different type/class of car than an E9.

E9’s were/are grand tourers, not sports cars. And I think you actually could get a 5spd in your E9 back in the day via BMW
Motorsport and Alpina (IIRC, the old ZF close ratio).

This is why many of us own a sports car to compliment our E9’s (your 911, Scott).

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Completely different type/class of car than an E9.

E9’s were/are grand tourers, not sports cars. And I think you actually could get a 5spd in your E9 back in the day via BMW
Motorsport and Alpina (IIRC, the old ZF close ratio).

This is why many of us own a sports car to compliment our E9’s (your 911, Scott).
While I hear you, sort of. If e9 is a grand tourer, shouldn't it have a O/D? I have been following BAT and seems like MANY other GT's of the era had 5th gear. It wasn't that advanced, but the German cars did not, other than 911's. BTW, I thought the e9 was BMW's answer to Porsche 911.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
While I hear you, sort of. If e9 is a grand tourer, shouldn't it have a O/D? I have been following BAT and seems like MANY other GT's of the era had 5th gear. It wasn't that advanced, but the German cars did not, other than 911's. BTW, I thought the e9 was BMW's answer to Porsche 911.
the e9 certainly raced well in the big races against 911's during that time period. IMHO, yes, a grand tourer should have an O/D tranny. having had 2002's (3), they needed a 5 speed as well. my last one had a 5 speed and a 3:64 rear LSD ... and with a stout engine it was a lot of fun. only used 5th on the highway ... but the bigger diff gear shortened the 'in-between' spots of the lower gear - especially between 2nd + 3rd

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
All US 3.0CS have a 3.64 already

LOL that 3.25 upgrade comment was a bit reaching. The only cars that came with a 3.25 already have many of the parts in this kit. I think that many of us know that CSI's and CSL's were all manual, and were the only e9s. to come with a 3.25. Good of Paul to include it however!
BTW, I thought the e9 was BMW's answer to Porsche 911.

It was, and all of the CSL race cars had 5 speed transmissions. Interestingly enough however, 5th gear was the same ratio as 4th gear on your car, 1:1.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure where you are headed with the 5 speed commentary @scottevest. We can’t change the past. BMW didn’t start dropping 5 speed Getrags into cars until 1978, and the overdrive didn’t show up until 1980.

You had/have the option to upgrade. Instead this has turned into some type assertion that the e9 should have come with a 5 speed from the factory. Yet at the time, sales didn’t seem to suffer. It clearly wasn’t an issue when you bought your e9. Why is it an issue now?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Less than 50% of this list had a 5 speed (Alfa, Citroën, Aston Martin).

30419827-B260-4A31-8572-F21B209695D6.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure where you are headed with the 5 speed commentary @scottevest. We can’t change the past. BMW didn’t start dropping 5 speed Getrags into cars until 1978, and the overdrive didn’t show up until 1980.

You had/have the option to upgrade. Instead this has turned into some type assertion that the e9 should have come with a 5 speed from the factory. Yet at the time, sales didn’t seem to suffer. It clearly wasn’t an issue when you bought your e9. Why is it an issue now?
Markos, not sure where the comment is coming from on your end. I am just saying it is curious to me why BMW didn’t include it to begin with when so many others were. That’s all. I have no regrets whatsoever about the purchase of my car. I love it. Just curious that’s all. It is coming up now because I saw that listing and bring a trailer and just thought it made sense. Based on all those commentary I honestly don’t know if it is worth the effort. I get is that money can be spent elsewhere. Thanks everyone for your opinions and thoughts and help. I appreciate it. I hope everyone is having an amazing Saturday. I am