Fjord 1975 3.0CSi

ratso70

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I think I'm finally ready to send one of my 3.0's down the road. This one is a 1975 3.0 CSi that I bought a couple of years ago. It was sitting in a garage in NJ since 1997 from the family that acquired it in the late '80s and imported it in 1990. The car was originally purchased in July of 1975 in Verona, Italy so it fortunately has the small European bumpers. It was very well optioned for a European car with power windows, power sunroof (currently not working), power driver mirror, blue leather interior, telescoping wheel and a/c (I haven't tried to get this working). It was repainted prior to 1990 in its original Fjord blue, and I believe the interior to be largely original. It also has a Blauplunkt gooseneck radio which is included but not installed as there was a bunch of bad wiring for an aftermarket alarm and kill switch that needed to be taken out, and this came out with it. I have all of the components for reinstallation if someone prefers. I have the original bus steering wheel to include as well.

I've slowly been getting it back on the road and now the car is running and driving really well. It spent over a year with Matt McGinn at Sports Car Restoration as we worked through its issues. I have pages of receipts that outlines everything that was done which includes all of the mechanical sorting, new tires, Walloth Nesch stainless exhaust, etc and can email anyone interested. I recently drove it over 1k miles without a single issue. My other 3.0 is a '73 CS and you can definitely notice the increased horsepower for the CSi. I'm selling this one because I've had the other car for over 10 years and am more emotionally attached to it.

I would classify this as a very nice driver vs a show car and it definitely isn't a rusty mess! Link to the pictures below where I've tried to represent the car as honestly as possible. Please let me know any details I've missed. The car is garaged in Brooklyn Heights, NY. If I'm unsuccessful here you'll see it on BaT soon enough!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i8CFxgQh13ypiTp16

Thanks,
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_2693.jpg
    IMG_2693.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_2695.jpg
    IMG_2695.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 515
  • both cars.jpg
    both cars.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very cool car Greg. I had a parts car with the exact same spec. Too rotten to restore. Yours looks great.

jbeinhor

Reaction score
I’ve spent time behind the wheel of this one — over 100 miles easily. Great car, fun to drive and accurately described by Greg. Buyer will be lucky to get this one.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Looks really solid from here.

New owner just needs to fix sunroof, new headliner and wood redone

Wouldn't need to touch anything else. Although you never know what's lurking under those insulation pads

Good luck!! Should sell fast at your price level!

I had the exact same car practically (1973), but it needed a ton of work

ratso70

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the positive comments, and if someone wants to pay me more than I'm asking please go ahead! Regarding the wood, it really is only the passenger door and the piece to the left of the instrument cluster that need attention. All of the other pieces are very nice, and notably better than my other car. Not sure how hard it would be to match the original finish but something to consider.

I would have tried to get the roof working but the zipper in the top/back is somewhat brittle and this project needed to stop somewhere!

I added 3 photos of the inside of the passenger door that I took while I was cleaning and greasing the window rails:
1) Inside bottom to show it's dry and not rusty
2) The original sound deadening that is still affixed
3) Shot of the whole inside without the door-card
What I didn't know relative to my CS is there is additional reinforcement like a crash bar that runs along the inside of the door. The front bumper is reinforced too so when I tried to put on the front license plate bracket (also included) there was a big bar in the way. I can still put it on I just didn't have enough time to fiddle with getting the bolts to line up with this obstruction!

I also added 2 photos of some of the original advertisements of the gooseneck radio. The one I have also has a tape deck which is installed but this one has a microphone too so you can record your singles or random musings while you cruise around.

Matt_McGinn

Reaction score
I'll weigh in on this one. Greg's description is accurate and the photos show the car honestly. I've done a fair amount of work on this car-been upside down under the dash realizing I need bifocals and smashed my stupid head on the framerails, and have probably taken it on fifty short test drives as we picked away at what it takes to make a car reliable and fun to drive. I've also gladly driven it home and took it on a date night, you know, to "use it so all the problems happen to me." Its a wonderful car to drive-starts reliably, tracks straight on the highway, goes 100 smoothly, tackles bridge expansion joints on curves with confidence, does not smoke, shifts well, has good power. People can nit pick the trivia of these cars to death and it can obscure one of the great pleasures of these cars-the amazing utilty of a nearly 50 year old car, the smoothness of how they drive and how basically modern and agile they can feel when all the worn parts are attended to. To that end, Greg gave us free reign to fix what needed fixing and make it a nicely-driving and reliable car. Here in the Northeast, cars with bodies this solid are either non existant or are imports from drier climates. All the important parts of the car, especially the front inner fenders are solid and original. Floorpan and underside is original and solid-greasy, sure, but its never been through what we call the "mill" where stopsigns and roofing products are used to "fix" floorpans and framerails. Its never been apart and has the original matching engine. What I'd counsel someone who bought this car to do with it would be to "use it as much as you can." Dont take it apart to try to make the ultimate e9. Find some bone to start with to do that. No one has a crystal ball on pricing, etc, but the fundamantals of this car are solid and would be remain the same after ten years of good but sympathetic use-this car is not going to blow up, rust out or fall apart. You can never pay too much, only buy too soon. If anyone has particular questions I'd be happy to answer here or on an actual telephone at 860 793 2002. Matt McGinn

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, in a few years, this will be $60k all day long.

I'd nab this sucker if I didn't already have my E9.

If no bites here, then BAT all the way (although I'd wait until the E9s on there now are done selling).

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This thing still for sale?

I think this is a very very good car for the money. I'd snag it if I had the money and space.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
W
Hi everyone,

I think I'm finally ready to send one of my 3.0's down the road. This one is a 1975 3.0 CSi that I bought a couple of years ago. It was sitting in a garage in NJ since 1997 from the family that acquired it in the late '80s and imported it in 1990. The car was originally purchased in July of 1975 in Verona, Italy so it fortunately has the small European bumpers. It was very well optioned for a European car with power windows, power sunroof (currently not working), power driver mirror, blue leather interior, telescoping wheel and a/c (I haven't tried to get this working). It was repainted prior to 1990 in its original Fjord blue, and I believe the interior to be largely original. It also has a Blauplunkt gooseneck radio which is included but not installed as there was a bunch of bad wiring for an aftermarket alarm and kill switch that needed to be taken out, and this came out with it. I have all of the components for reinstallation if someone prefers. I have the original bus steering wheel to include as well.

I've slowly been getting it back on the road and now the car is running and driving really well. It spent over a year with Matt McGinn at Sports Car Restoration as we worked through its issues. I have pages of receipts that outlines everything that was done which includes all of the mechanical sorting, new tires, Walloth Nesch stainless exhaust, etc and can email anyone interested. I recently drove it over 1k miles without a single issue. My other 3.0 is a '73 CS and you can definitely notice the increased horsepower for the CSi. I'm selling this one because I've had the other car for over 10 years and am more emotionally attached to it.

I would classify this as a very nice driver vs a show car and it definitely isn't a rusty mess! Link to the pictures below where I've tried to represent the car as honestly as possible. Please let me know any details I've missed. The car is garaged in Brooklyn Heights, NY. If I'm unsuccessful here you'll see it on BaT soon enough!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i8CFxgQh13ypiTp16

Thanks,
Greg
Where is the price listed?