SOLD-For auction on BaT- 1973 bavaria

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there,
I feel so obliged to this forum for the knowledge members provided, advice members offered, and for the parts I purchased and in some cases recieved for free. I want to post my bavaria for sale here first before offering it on other websites.

The bavaria is 1973 (VIN 3133680). I bought the car in August 2020. The car was originally delivered to California, made its way up to St. Alberta and then Olds, Canada. I purchased the car and stored it that winter in my mom's garage while I finished a 1980 Land Rover Series 2A 109 (Santana).

That following spring the project started. Over the next 2 years, car recieved a thorough mechanical and interior refurbishment (See attached PDF). The body is very solid with no rust. The body has the usual bumps, rubbed paint, dinged trim you would expect after 51 years.

I feel it was stored inside most of its life in Califoria. The dash and the other plastic and rubber interior parts are in excellent shape. I do not know how long it was in Alberta before I purchased it; I think it was a very short time as the seller in Olds quickly sold it as he was focusd on two 2002s and a beautiful E9 the previous seller in St. Albert sold him as a group of cars.

The last substantial work was the installation of a M30B35 from a 1991 535i. The motor came from Vancouver and has about 91K kms. The engine was stripped, painted, and fully resealed. I kept the car 'analogue' with a rebuilt distributor by Advanced DIstributors and Weber 32/36. I rebuilt the head to ensure it was not warped and nstalled an electric fuel pump since the B35 does not have fittings for a mechanical pump. The fuel pump is controlled by a Revolution Electronics controller.

The car was originally an automatic. I knew I was going to convert it to a 5 speed before I bought the car. The Getrag 265/5 totally changes the personality of the car. Especially with the stronger B35. It moves along very nicely especially on the freeways.

Other substantial work included the marine blue interior. The original interior was tan. The interior was tired and did not suit the car very well. Recaros covered in OEM vinyl are installed and the rear seat was recovered with a templated cover made from the original rear seat cover. World Upholstery carpets, Coco matts, and a Retrosound bluetooth stereo finish it off.

I feel I could go on and on but the work is summed up in the attached PDF. Please read and ask me any questions.

Link to Google Photo album, https://photos.app.goo.gl/trb4JLZqGVMbtXth9. Google folder also contains list of work.

The car is currently listed on Bring a Trailer for auction. here is a link to the auction https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-bavaria-12/

Appreciated,
Bill

Attachments

• '73 BMW bavaria list July 24.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Hi there,
I feel so obliged to this forum for the knowledge members provided, advice members offered, and for the parts I purchased and in some cases recieved for free. I want to post my bavaria for sale here first before offering it on other websites.

The bavaria is 1973 (VIN 3133680). I bought the car in August 2020. The car was originally delivered to California, made its way up to St. Alberta and then Olds, Canada. I purchased the car and stored it that winter in my mom's garage while I finished a 1980 Land Rover Series 2A 109 (Santana).

That following spring the project started. Over the next 2 years, car recieved a thorough mechanical and interior refurbishment (See attached PDF). The body is very solid with no rust. The body has the usual bumps, rubbed paint, dinged trim you would expect after 51 years.

I feel it was stored inside most of its life in Califoria. The dash and the other plastic and rubber interior parts are in excellent shape. I do not know how long it was in Alberta before I purchased it; I think it was a very short time as the seller in Olds quickly sold it as he was focusd on two 2002s and a beautiful E9 the previous seller in St. Albert sold him as a group of cars.

The last substantial work was the installation of a M30B35 from a 1991 535i. The motor came from Vancouver and has about 91K kms. The engine was stripped, painted, and fully resealed. I kept the car 'analogue' with a rebuilt distributor by Advanced DIstributors and Weber 32/36. I rebuilt the head to ensure it was not warped and nstalled an electric fuel pump since the B35 does not have fittings for a mechanical pump. The fuel pump is controlled by a Revolution Electronics controller.

The car was originally an automatic. I knew I was going to convert it to a 5 speed before I bought the car. The Getrag 265/5 totally changes the personality of the car. Especially with the stronger B35. It moves along very nicely especially on the freeways.

Other substantial work included the marine blue interior. The original interior was tan. The interior was tired and did not suit the car very well. Recaros covered in OEM vinyl are installed and the rear seat was recovered with a templated cover made from the original rear seat cover. World Upholstery carpets, Coco matts, and a Retrosound bluetooth stereo finish it off.

I feel I could go on and on but the work is summed up in the attached PDF. Please read and ask me any questions.

I am asking 20K USD (27.5K CAD). Compared to the E3s that have sold the last few years and the range of their conditions, I believe it is a fair price. https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e3-bavaria/?q=bmw+e3

Link to Google Photo album, https://photos.app.goo.gl/trb4JLZqGVMbtXth9
You have done a very nice job on this Bav, Bill. A great package priced very conservatively. Those rear seats are especially cool! I mean they really look luxurious! GLWTS!
Mike

Mike

Great looking Bav! Very well sorted. Love that interior. I agree, it’s price very fairly. Importing a classic car from Canada is very easy to DIY. Bonus is because it was previously registered in the US no Duty fees apply if you bring it back.
Good Luck Bill.

I hate to see you sell it, Bill. We were doing our E3s at about the same time. I learned a lot from you. Your car is beautiful. The interior is perfect! Rust free, sorted, completely gone through....not many E3s in North America this nice. I hope you were able to take that long road trip with it that you planned. With those seats, the 5 speed and AC it would be the perfect car for a cross continent tour. Best of luck with the sale.

Bill, its well worth the ask ... i would like to see you get more. its one of the best e3's i've seen in a while. almost makes me want to buy it as i loved my '73 sahara e3. my wife would kill me though

Bill, its well worth the ask ... i would like to see you get more. its one of the best e3's i've seen in a while. almost makes me want to buy it as i loved my '73 sahara e3. my wife would kill me though

Hey
Thank you; that's very kind.
No she wouldn't kill ya; she'd be a lil upset, then she'd be woow'd by it as she drove in its comfort and cool ;)

I hate to see you sell it, Bill. We were doing our E3s at about the same time. I learned a lot from you. Your car is beautiful. The interior is perfect! Rust free, sorted, completely gone through....not many E3s in North America this nice. I hope you were able to take that long road trip with it that you planned. With those seats, the 5 speed and AC it would be the perfect car for a cross continent tour. Best of luck with the sale.

Hi Dick
Thank you! I recall you helping me too :) Ya...it was a tough decision. We did a few longer trips; flawless; I think it would go across the continent quite easily and in style.
I hope you're doing well!?

Great looking Bav! Very well sorted. Love that interior. I agree, it’s price very fairly. Importing a classic car from Canada is very easy to DIY. Bonus is because it was previously registered in the US no Duty fees apply if you bring it back.
Good Luck Bill.

Thank you!
Yes...importing/exporting between the US ad CA is very easy especially classic cars. Complete paper work is key and border services are helpful.

You have done a very nice job on this Bav, Bill. A great package priced very conservatively. Those rear seats are especially cool! I mean they really look luxurious! GLWTS!
Mike

Mike
Thx Mike. The rear seat is quite spaciuos and comfy. The fellow who installed the cover threw out the 'horsehair' and used a few different foams.

That’s a beautiful Bavaria. Seems worth the price, and would make a nice road trip home for someone in the US (or in BC).

Hi there,

I am asking 20K USD (27.5K CAD). Compared to the E3s that have sold the last few years and the range of their conditions, I believe it is a fair price. https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/e3-bavaria/?q=bmw+e3

Link to Google Photo album, https://photos.app.goo.gl/trb4JLZqGVMbtXth9
Bill, I bet this was a tough decision...it always is. But sounds like many fond memories throughout the build and driving experiences. Can't put a price on all that (well I guess you can but who's counting?). I'm impressed at how clean it is. 3.5L...A/C...what's not to like? A few battle scars sure (spirited driving). Interesting shift knob, I don't think I have ever seen one of those. BTW, your washer fluid is getting a little low...:p I hope you stay on the board, new E3 owners will still need advice from people like you! -GB

I am new to this site.. I've only been loitering for about a year.

I'm constantly impressed by the long personal histories and camaraderie I read about - this dialogue is a fine example. I'm reminded of why I joined, my goals of being a good contributor to the site, and trying to learn as much as possible from everyone.

Good luck with the sale... and I hope you have a new project in mind.

Bill, I bet this was a tough decision...it always is. But sounds like many fond memories throughout the build and driving experiences. Can't put a price on all that (well I guess you can but who's counting?). I'm impressed at how clean it is. 3.5L...A/C...what's not to like? A few battle scars sure (spirited driving). Interesting shift knob, I don't think I have ever seen one of those. BTW, your washer fluid is getting a little low...:p I hope you stay on the board, new E3 owners will still need advice from people like you! -GB

Hi GB
Thats very nice of you to say! Much appreciated!
It is a great car to work on and drive. Most of my car project time has been on 2002s. I find the E3 to be very similar to those lil beauties. Just logical cars.

The shift knob came from https://www.instagram.com/grabmyknob/ Many shapes, woods, colours, inlays :)

Bill

I'm not on Instagram and can't few...but "grabmyknob"...Classic.

Ya....he does a real nice job

1721747276552.png

Back