FS: Reproduction Tail Light Lenses

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Stan,
I realize I didn't specify a lens color configuration. This is for a US car - I assume amber turn lenses, red brake, white/clear reverse. By the way, does your source also make rear fog lenses? My car has one, and it would be nice to have a nice, new red lens for that since it will be living right next to the new tail light assembly. Thank you!

@autokunst on eBay... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-FOG...ash=item2a9df0370c:g:h1QAAOSwxOFaa4eQ&vxp=mtr

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stan, unsure if I am on the list - could you check and see where I am if so?

Thanks,

Rohan

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure is - thank you Stan - I would take two left hand brake lenses if you have another spare come in then.

Thanks,

Rohan

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are some shots of the tail lights with Stan lenses installed on a car I'm am currently putting back together.
They look great and only you and I will know these aren't original lenses. Ha!

Yes, this is not an original E9 color. It is BMW Avus Blau. Has a lot of pearl in it. You should see it up close and in the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpg
    IMG_0649.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0651.jpg
    IMG_0651.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0653.jpg
    IMG_0653.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 278

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
He is S L O W
He will be sending 3 freakin THREE sets to me sometime, maybe this week
Stan,
My hearts beating fast !!!
How close am I to getting at least a set from my long time “order of three sets”. I have to have a set for my restoration ? Chrome frame are ready ?o_O;):)

Cheers

NightOwl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Stan,
I would like to add my name to the list for one set, both sides for a US car.

Thanks,

Jake

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK here is the deal...
There are 85 people on the list, of which 25 have been sent.
Some people have not responded when I told them their lenses were in so I am thinking they lost interest, sold their E9 or bought complete tail lights.
4 sets coming, 3 with amber turn signals and one with red turn signals. All with clear back up lights.
Next on my list are:
@aeronotix
@aw21
@DIESEL1
@Dale Phelps (red indicators)

Tony - About 10 ahead of you.
Night Owl, PM me with your contact info and you are number 86.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And now my question. I am strongly tempted to offer him more $$ to perhaps incentivize him to put more time into our lenses.
If they cost you $350 plus shipping, how many are interested
If they cost you $400 plus shipping, how many are interested?
I simply do not know how much to offer to get this guy to prioritize E9 lenses....

Wladek

Reaction score
And now my question. I am strongly tempted to offer him more $$ to perhaps incentivize him to put more time into our lenses.
If they cost you $350 plus shipping, how many are interested
If they cost you $400 plus shipping, how many are interested?
I simply do not know how much to offer to get this guy to prioritize E9 lenses....
I'm a bit confused.
If he was a serious producer - he would have made an entire order of 80-100 items at the same time. I doubt that if you increase his pay, that it will change anything, he is just slow and lazy, maybe money smell to him? Maybe the first series of let just say 5 new sets he will make faster, but after it will still be the same. And then, he will not return to old charges - will you keep raising the rates all the time?
All companies i deal with always tell me, give us as big production order as you can. And i'm reffering to my straight experience with CNC, water cutting. laser cutting, plating, metal parts production etc.
And one more thing, every respectfull company always say - larger order, smaller unit price.

Last edited:

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am confused too. By his advertising, I would have thought the same. But, I have come to believe it is a one man shop and he is accustomed to molding tail lights of simpler design. At one point he told me that once out of the mold, the lens needed to be set on a jig for final shaping which was (apparently) more time consuming than he had planned. He said that he was the only one who could do it at his shop.
Since he is on the other side of the planet, I can't just walk in and check

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems to me that these lens are a major item on our Coupes. (not that there are many minor ones) but that it is functional as well as cosmetic. Stan has found an artisan who can craft copies that have been deemed of great quality and acceptable for use on any of our cars. Let us remember BMW E9s have been appreciating in value and a replacement taillight lens on many 70's Classics can cost an crazy amount. To me, and this is just my opinion, since factory replacements are not an option, I would try to incentivize this particular craftsman to do a run that he feels will pay well enough, before he can or will not, do any more. That is quite a waiting list. And none of us are getting any younger. ;)