Golf csi on BAT

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@craterface What black plastic rocker covers? After installing one of mine I will never remove one again.

No piping under door cards, after market rear muffler with welded mount, missing seal under passenger door, as Don mentioned the thermostat cover has a bolt and nut arrangement, must have snapped the studs. And the underside was never body color.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah yeah. I spotted the missing welts, roundels on the vent window knobs, 1970 seats, black wipers, missing rivets on the Karman tag, touch up paint on the doors, wrong bolts in the upper door hinge, missing white caps in the doors/rear wells, wrong bolts on the HL panels. Yes we could go on, but why? As I said to a friend this morning "This stuff is all trivial. Let's give the new owner something to tinker with!"

This is just a standard and very attractive CSI. I see no reason to pick it apart, other than getting clarification on the VIN plate, and getting pics of the firewall VIN. Circle back when it is at $200K then complain about the fit and finish. :)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
And the underside was never body color.

This car helps me confirm that I don't want to spray the underside of mine body color. Easier to pull off in a more conservative color...

Odd blacked spare tire well (which the center looks odd too):

I think this is a valid restoration preference for those wild 70's car. Take a look at the two CSL's below. One has an orange well, and the other is black. I think the bright wheel well looks particularly strange when the rear valance is painted black.

8389935B-7F95-4585-8FF6-E2710E0E6CBA.jpeg

35146255-FF6E-4DF4-8CA3-60D8276B080E.jpeg

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
One has an orange well, and the other is black. I think the bright wheel well looks particularly strange when the rear valance is painted black.
I think the black valance looks horrible, but, because I deal with salvage and rebuilds everyday I immediately think of an aftermarket or new panel that hasn't been painted yet.

Christoph

Reaction score
This is funny. Your discussion made me all curious. First impression: overall nice car. Second impression: first 43 pictures are useless.
Pic 113 - Leather looks very soft and far thinner than works material. May crinkle in a minute.
Pic 114 - Leather is folded at the sides of the front backrest. Common for reupholsteries, original supplier managed to do it without.
Pic 144 - Stamped "60". Original colour was Polaris Metallic, if this is the original Karmann plate. I'd expect it to be rivited to the car. Not to mention the door brake.
Pic 151 - The coolant reservoir changed from black painted metal to beige plastic in autumn 1973. May be correct depending on production month.
Pic 155 - Later valve cover. Oil cap should be at the front. This one came with the L-Jetronic in mid-1975.
What is hidden in the boot? Still no pics yet.
Still: can be a nice car. But 100000 is a lot of money, regardless of currency, especially for an E9 without rust protection but with numerous small imperfections.
That said, I will retreat to the E3 pages.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is funny. Your discussion made me all curious. First impression: overall nice car. Second impression: first 43 pictures are useless.
Pic 113 - Leather looks very soft and far thinner than works material. May crinkle in a minute.
Pic 114 - Leather is folded at the sides of the front backrest. Common for reupholsteries, original supplier managed to do it without.
Pic 144 - Stamped "60". Original colour was Polaris Metallic, if this is the original Karmann plate. I'd expect it to be rivited to the car. Not to mention the door brake.
Pic 151 - The coolant reservoir changed from black painted metal to beige plastic in autumn 1973. May be correct depending on production month.
Pic 155 - Later valve cover. Oil cap should be at the front. This one came with the L-Jetronic in mid-1975.
What is hidden in the boot? Still no pics yet.
Still: can be a nice car. But 100000 is a lot of money, regardless of currency, especially for an E9 without rust protection but with numerous small imperfections.
That said, I will retreat to the E3 pages.
Seats had two folds in the leather until September 1973 when it was sewn instead of folded. This is an early 73 model year but as noted has 2800CS seats and the leather does look a bit matte.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the black valance looks horrible, but, because I deal with salvage and rebuilds everyday I immediately think of an aftermarket or new panel that hasn't been painted yet.

It’s a legit CSL thing. “Chrome arches” also look horrible. Not because they *look horrible, but because you associate them with some other non-bmw thing that is horrible. Altezza lights looked great on the Toyota Altezza!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

I understand and greatly appreciate what he does, but 50% of all photos in 911r’s albums are worthless. He is selling an idea not a car. Imagine buying a new car and asking the sales person if you could head over to the top floor of a parking garage for some 35 foot perspectives. It’s nice
to know what other people see when you are hard parking however.
I don’t know what it is but I think this photo is absolutely unflattering:
9E0F6ECF-635F-48AC-9288-AB62D69776FA.jpeg

I feel like it was taken right out of a cars movie
B745DA41-FBEA-4398-8B22-973BDBB07BDA.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
No, they actually look horrible.

:(

They look horrible on a 1983 mercedes.

Point me to the car that pioneered the “chrome” arch. I’m talking this style, not some 1/4” beauty strip. I really do hope to be educated because you of all people you may know.

Update here:

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Look closely people…

rusting hardware
wrong hardware
RTV oozing from the valve cover
distributor in wrong
wrong hoses
leaking coolant
sand blasted hardware
rusty caliper hardware

and all the suspension and steering gear rattle canned black along with the safety wire

No receipts, no names…..

Buyers need to do a physical PPI
my comments are only that it has better photography than most (clearer), cool color and a CSi - that alone will help it do well. i said NOTHING about substance or correctness. trying to not be negative. its already at 101k with 3 days left to go. personally, i would much rather have @ablank135's coupe. i would hope that it would do better in the BaT auction ... but some things confound me - like the silver surfer stalling at 150k and the baikal going to 162k. that being said - sage advice from SFDon - have a good PPI done.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m interested to see where this lands. We have two cars on BaT with a factory color change. One period and one not.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m interested to see where this lands. We have two cars on BaT with a factory color change. One period and one not.
right there with you Markos. my guess is the one that ends up with the higher selling price will be the one i wouldn't buy. that being said, smart money is going to bid on @ablank135 coupe. if i was in the market, that's what i would do.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think i would have taken 101k for that car ... thought that was a good price for that car. i expect much higher for @ablank135's coupe as i think its a much better car. glad to see it up to 60k with a day to go. the verona '72 is at 22k with 4 days to go.