Got my 3.0cs but can`t find vin

Tyler

Reaction score
As far as I know, the ONLY difference between a CS and CSi is that the CS has carburetors and the CSi is fuel Injected, hence the "i".

Does a CS have a mounting bracket under the rear seat for a D-jet brain? Even if it does, there might be evidence that a brain was or was not mounted there in the past.

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hi

Finding out if it's CS or CSi can be found easily by:

*checking ratio at the back of the tachy -since you had it in hand (?). For CSi should read W 0,67.
*Supporting bracket for air filter on the inner right wing.Existing ? Removed ?
* Hole in the right front engine support (for csi wiring) or cap obstructing it , just under the passenger foot ( under the carpet).
The wiring enters in the engine bay, the right engine support(check?) and normally gets off in the cabin at that area.
*Of course "brain brackets support under right back seat.
* Rear axle ratio (if original) should read on the left side under transmission 39/11.

These are first clues but others can be found.
Photos can be provided.
"Bon courage !!!"

Tundra

Reaction score
I should have added that the CSi has a slightly higher compression, has about 20 additional hp vs the the CS and other slight differences. Other than that the CS and CSi are essentially the same car IMHO.

Tundra

Reaction score
Maybe inspector Clouseau in London and Gaston Lagaffe or is it Obelix, or Fernandel in France can get together and give additional clues. Its amazing what two people using a common brain can come up with ("common" has many meanings, read the correct one). Someone inhaled to much gas fumes in their car, D-Jetronic is useless ( the system bien sur {of course})

Last edited:

Tundra

Reaction score
To D-Jetronic. When you look behind your tach does it it read 2CV ? Maybe its stamped on the referenced brain.

mrp

Reaction score
To Bert 35csi.

Thanks for the tip. I contacted Carl Nelson at bimmerdoc, but he basically said I should stop looking for the missing VIN. This task seems to have no happy ending. My last hope is what you said about a VIN somewhere underneath the car. If you can help me trying to find this spot, I will be forever thankfull. In the meantime, I'll try to find it myself.
I remember a thread (which I can not find) quoting an email address of a german guy who works at BMW. He might as well know if there is another VIN stamped in the E9 body. If anybody has this info, please post it.
Thanks again.

Tundra

Reaction score
Here is another couple of suggestion. Maybe a BMW dealer can trace the vin through your car key. Those keys are very unique, they have holes (dimples). Other than from BMW it's not easy to get a duplicate made. Go to a BMW dealer and ask them if they can trace the VIN through the key. After all, they didn't make millions of those cars so I doubt if there is another CS with the same key code. If your car has a sunroof, open it and view the tracks made of aluminum, remove the center section of the track located towards the front. There is usually a number stamped under that section. Not always. Not sure what this number refers to but again maybe a BMW can help with that number.

mrp

Reaction score
Andre, my coupe doesn't have sliding roof but I liked the key idea. I'm still trying to find the thread where someone wrote the name and e-mail address of a german guy at BMW who receives VINs and tells you all the info about the car. As soon as I get his e.mail address I will send him my key code (if it has one). Thanks.

Tundra

Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear. The key itself does not have a code. I have a couple of 3.0cs's and checked all three keys ( in case I missed it all those years) and none of them have a code. What I meant is that you may have to send your key to Germany ( via a dealer, and hopefully you have a copy) to get a duplicate and through this process they should be able to come up with the vin #. Several years ago I wanted a duplicate made for one of my 3.0cs's and was told that I needed to give them the vin # to make a key. The cost back then was $60.!!!. If they can make a duplicate though the vin # then the reverse should work.

roundel

Reaction score
Originally when the cars were supplied the keys had a 4 digit (I think..) number stamped on them. The same number is stamped on the locks. Should be easy enough to find. Also don`t waste time looking for a `second` VIN under the car as there i`snt one.
Alex

Tundra

Reaction score
Roundel is correct. I checked my keys again and could not see any number on two keys, maybe worn out. The third key did have a number, barely visible and only if held a certain way against a light.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't think it is possible to reverse engineer the key code into a vin. There had to be fewer key codes than there were vins. Somewhere out there is a coupe that your key could unlock as well as your own.

roundel

Reaction score
Not so sure as I checked and the key has 2 letters and 4 numbers so it is possible there were enough key numbers. I too would be suprised if it is possible but worth looking into.
I think it is only the original keys that have the numbers, replacements don`t.
Alex

mrp

Reaction score
Finally...

Dear All.

I was finally able to find the VIN number on my e9. A forensic policeman helped me by laying magic powders and chemical reactions on the erased VIN number area. After a few minutes, the code showed up. It reads 4305563. Like Bert35CSI said, it is a 2.5cs manufactured in September 1975. Thanks to all for all the creative ideas given in this thread. Now I will contact Andreas Harz at BMW to see if he can provide more specific info about this particular car.

ElDoc

Reaction score
E9 Ecuador Question

Dear MRP I can see your post in the E9 forum, I live in Ecuador and I want to ask you something about BMW E9, could you enter in contact with me.

Regards,

ElDoc