Greetings from Mexico - Polarissilber 2800 CS with Schnitzer engine

Motorsport

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I just secured the purchase of an unmolested 1969 2800 CS which was originally bought in Houston by a Mexican diplomat who, through a special waiver, was able to import it into Mexico short after that and, subsequently sold to a collector staying in a single family also in Mexico since 1977.

A very interesting part of the car's story is that in 1970, a complete new engine was sourced through Schnitzer, Bendix electric pumps added and three Weber carburators installed. The copy of the 1970 invoice from "ING. J. u. H Schnitzer" shows 7,900 DM which would be equivalent to roughly US$17K today for the modified engine with 248 SAE-PS (approximately the same equivalent to horsepower). I am yet to pick up the car so I won't be able to tell if indeed, the power is there

At the time, Schnitzer and Alpina had started their racing programs with the E9 both in the ETCC and the German Championship with modified 340 HP and 325 HP engines respectively, before the BMW Motorsport division was created so I believe there were little options to go to in order to source a reliable race bred engine.

The car is in very good shape and as it has spent all of its life in a warm weather, no signs of rust are there in the typical areas although a complete paint job may be in order as it does present some superficial blemishes.

Anyone has further information about the Schnitzer engine program?

Thank you!
Polarisilber E9 2800.jpg

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Greetings!

So interesting! Have you been able to visit and see the car?
which antenna will you keep?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very cool! Thanks for the introduction and pictures.

Most of us on here are gear heads so please send more pictures if you get a chance!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very nice, please post the VIN. It looks like it had A/C at one time and the front valance below the bumper is from a 74 era coupe so it was repainted at some point I’m guessing. It also helps to add you location to your profile.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Intersting manifold vacuum setup, is all that plumbing going to the distributor advance AND the brake booster?