Greetings from Mexico - Polarissilber 2800 CS with Schnitzer engine

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
343853CD-0F01-4DF7-8BE3-05E73AAAF564.jpeg

I think I have read in previous posts that the thickness of the foam grip might vary. Mine is 3” which to me feels a little thin and might have a leather wrap in its future.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My CSL wheel is not round, it is about 29.5mm thickest by 22mm thinnest. A string around the circumference measures 86mm or 3 3/8”

ABCB36D1-F8EA-4892-8682-5FD83276E9AF.jpeg

CC0490FD-D969-49D8-AD05-215B5D91D6B8.jpeg

I think I have read in previous posts that the thickness of the foam grip might vary. Mine is 3” which to me feels a little thin and might have a leather wrap in its future.

Last edited:

Motorsport

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. The car is now being checked for the electronic glitches and other details. In anticipation of those things I am trying to decide which wheels will look the best? I am thinking 14" (Mahle-BBS or Alpina) or changing the stance with a 16" Alpina or BBS RS. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Mahle-BBS.jpg
    Mahle-BBS.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 166

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. The car is now being checked for the electronic glitches and other details. In anticipation of those things I am trying to decide which wheels will look the best? I am thinking 14" (Mahle-BBS or Alpina) or changing the stance with a 16" Alpina or BBS RS. Any thoughts?

Three comments in favor of smaller wheels (I have 15" wheels on my car):

-- I think cars from our era look better with a larger sidewall in the wheel well;
-- A larger sidewall will absorb more road harshness and vibration, which both provides a more comfortable ride and reduces the potential for metal fatigue in the body structure; and
-- Driving a vehicle with a more sidewall flex require a different style of driving, one more closely aligned with the style originally required to drive our cars swiftly.

Motorsport

Site Donor
Reaction score
My project is close to come to an end and I would like to take the experts' opinion for the paint for the lower part of the spare tire well.

I have seen black, primer and the body color as well.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-173912_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-173912_Chrome.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20220817-173824_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-173824_Chrome.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot_20220817-173711_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-173711_Chrome.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot_20220817-173442_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-173442_Chrome.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 121

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
That was discussed. If I remember correctly @HB Chris was mentioning about grey color protection being used in factory, protected over the year with black body protector.

Look in the forum.

"The truth is out there" ;)

Motorsport

Site Donor
Reaction score
The paint shop has finished the car, the preparation work included scraping all the old paint and the removal of the the windshield and back window and replaced the rubber including that for the engine bay and doors. The engine bay was not touched, nor the under carriage.
E9 2800 resto.png

Attachments

• E9 2800 resto.png
    E9 2800 resto.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 89

Motorsport

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazingly, the metal is untouched and no signs of rust were found. The weather down here and the fact that the previous owner had a large collection of cars means this one was not used very often.

The paint work starting..
E9 2800 resto1.jpg

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
14" Mahle wheels were sourced in Germany but needed to be blasted and painted
I have the same wheels on my car. They could use some cleaning up also. I love how they look - the deep lips are really nice.

What tires did you end up going with? Limited tire choice is the real difficulty with 14" wheels these days.

Your car is looking great, by the way.

Motorsport

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many parts were replaced or refreshed beforehand. Luckily, a good friend of mine who is extremely knowledgeable and patient helped me with the sourcing and his mechanic with the installation. Very excited about the project!

E9 parts 3.jpg
E9 parts.jpg
E9 parts2.jpg

Motorsport

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have the same wheels on my car. They could use some cleaning up also. I love how they look - the deep lips are really nice.

What tires did you end up going with? Limited tire choice is the real difficulty with 14" wheels these days.

Your car is looking great, by the way.
Thank you. My choice was given the looks of the deep lips. The tires are Toyo, 195/70-14 if I am not mistaken. I need to check on the age of the same though.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you. My choice was given the looks of the deep lips. The tires are Toyo, 195/70-14 if I am not mistaken. I need to check on the age of the same though.
The tires that came on my car looked almost brand new, I think they were Sumitomo HRX (or something like that). I checked the date codes though and discovered that they'd been manufactured in 2005! The tread compound had gotten really hard and pretty unsafe.