Grill Badge - E9Coupe.com

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Wahoo! This has been fun! This is truly an amazing group to work with and I'm impressed with all the great ideas and discussion put forth. I am also honor by all the kind words and offers of support. I only hope that the design, while not possible to satisfy all desired perfectly, captures the spirit of the group and, most of all, is not tacky.

If all goes well I'll place the order tomorrow. I expect it'll be a few days before they get back to us with sample art to approve. About three weeks total is what they say. I'll keep everyone up to date on status as we go. We'll figure out a formal ordering program next. Everyone who has contributed to this thread will be sure go get first crack at buying (this is an amazing thread with almost 150 replies and nearing 3000 views!)

If anyone wants any of my source files please send me a pm or email and I'll be happy to share - they are group property. The design was actually done in PowerPoint. I used MS Photo Editor (XP standard feature) to make tranparencies and I used an old photo editor to do color pours. Nothing special at all.

This is the final badge (colors will vary slightly - see notes and pantone colors for details)
558b7f0445811af0bd6bc99a7291876c.gif

These are the notes. I decided two small holes on centerline near perimeter and screws will be the best mounting option after discussion with board members and the badge company.
3e2b5eb61d687b9e42a290d89a037e1e.gif

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Great looking badge--as with the Coupe--

A surprise, stunning out come to adorne our Coupes--a committee effort that has yielded a fine end result--similar to our elegant Coupe design with input from several desogners including Bertone (some have suggested among young Giorgetto Giugiaro design efforts @ Bertone Design at 23 yoa), Paul Braq and Hoffmeister, perhaps others.

COUNT ME IN FOR ONE

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The badge purchase order and the artwork have been submitted to the badge company and they are beginning work!

I expect to see "proof" art soon which I will share promptly. Along with the proof will be a final invoice and, assuming it looks good, I'll give a green light to produce.

After a rough count I think we are well over 30 pledges. If this "I'm in" rate continues I'll need to increase the order quantity! :D Fortunately I will have a chance to do this at the time we pull the production trigger.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I've already got the first production art back from the badge vendor but there were some minor problems so I sent them back to make adjustments:

1. We lost the font (BankGothicMedium) if anyone is interested. I also found it free at: http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts/b/Bank Gothic Medium BT.ttf

2. They had an extra space before the hyphen in "1968 - 1975" which made it look funny.

3. They messed with the car position. The nerve!

Anyway, the people at www.qualitylapelpins.com have be great to deal with. I have pestered them with hundreds of novice questions and they been beyond patient. They can do lots of different things (small and large). I told the owner about the C-Pillar roundels and he feels confident he can replicate them perfectly. He says he currently does a lot of general badge product where NOS is gone.

The invoice shows shipment by the end of September. This puts them at my doorstep in early October. I travel a great deal for business but I will do my best to start shipping them out promptly.

The cost of the badge and mounting klit from the vendor will be exactly $21.05 each. The shipping weight is supposed to be about 3.5oz. but I am assuming 5 with a padded envelop; this makes domestic shipping about $1.48 and most international is $4.50. I still need to source padded envelops; I am assuming about $0.96 but I may do better. Total costs:
$23.49 US
$26.51 International.
In order to generate a modest surplus (assuming they all sell) I propose that we adopt a fixed price of $25 for CONUS and $28 OCONUS and non-US. This should generate about $90 surplus if we sell out. and provide a cushion of 4 badges for me to break even.

Anyone else have opinion of pricing? I don't mind selling at exact cost but it mingh be nice to generate a small surplus for the group.