I just bought a 1972 E9 for $600.

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new owner of a '72 E9 3.0 CS. Not in great shape but I got it for $600.

When I was 15 I first laid eyes on a BMW 3.0 CS and new I had to have one. 11 years later, I saw a white one for the first in time in person driving past me in downtown Toronto. I didn't think much of it other than realizing it was even better in person than I thought. Little did I know I'd stumble upon a pretty beaten up one in the West end of Toronto in a mechanics parking lot. I had to go in and ask about it.

$600 later, bought my very first E9, a 1972 BMW 3.0 CS. Engine in running order out of the car. Body in decent shape other than the floor panels and the rockers. and a whole lot of work ahead of me.

I haven't found many restoration videos on the car or much about euro classic tuning, restoration, outlawing etc. Obviously I'm for sure missing some channels but since I'm a cinematographer and director by trade, I figured I'd make a youtube channel about the restoration. If you guys are interested feel free to tune in every (hopefully) Thursday. I'm just getting ready to walnut blast the body to reveal what's left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGyyN19was4&list=PLKzum1n9AlX5_KbpjsjrAKlI2E87qGpWR

If you have any feedback, things you'd like to see featured or anything, I'll be working with some amazing experts as I'm not qualified in any sense to restore a classic like this. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Thanks!

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice find!!

You just beat my record. Five or Six years ago, I bought a '72 csi that was advertised on Craigslist as a '2 Door Bavaria'.

Good luck with your project!

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome to the board, that is quite a project, I subscribed so looking forward to the progress. Nice to see it is being saved!

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You came to the right place

Welcome George! You are in for the ride of your life:) there are people here who have re-built every conceivable part of the e9, modified them, enhanced them, dare I say even "pimped" them, so you'll find more restoration knowledge here than at the BMW factory and a bunch of very unique folks too! So keep drinking those beers and enjoy the ride. I'm not sure if you are starting another post in the "projects & restorations" section, but it may be easier to track your progress under a single thread. Also, if you have the VIN I'm sure we'll want it in the registry. Loved the videos, I don't know if anyone has done a full video documentation yet (on Youtube) with a full on restoration. If you do be sure to categorize it under "horror" :)

georgebriggs

Reaction score
Thanks Peter! I've been reading as a visitor the forum for a while so I believe you on that. I'm happy to be a member, I know there are a lot of people on here far more knowledgable than I am that have built e9's which I'm thankful for! VIN registered here too!

I've got a projects thread here - http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19791

That's what I was so surprised about given how iconic the e9 is. I plan on changing that :) I've got big plans for the channel! It may very well have to go under horror :p

Thanks for the support!