Installed the Mega Squirt today...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm in Utah this week tuning a mega squirt and some CSL's. let me know if you have MS questions- I've installed about 10 of them.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wayne is back, but not at 100% yet

Hi e9 colleagues, Don is right. I was in a serious accident in a 2006 Viper and I have no memory of the experience. Burn recovery is a tedious, painful and slow process and the exit from the hospital is only the start of real recovery. I have grafts to my neck, 75% of my skull behind the face as well as my left arm and leg. And I lost my left ear also due to burns. Well, maybe I have something in common with Niki Lauda.

I am back at work and driving the E9 once a week to keep her in shape.

Don is right about the MS install and I am so happy not to be a carb or motronic guy anymore. The car starts every time, idles smoothly and delivers much more power across the rev range. I need to do another dyno because the last time I did one included a very aggressive ignition timing curve from someone else so Don has backed that down -- meaning 216 horsepower at the wheels is probably not there now.

Don is a master with Megasquirt, not to mention all things related to E9s. I cannot say enough good things about his attention to detail and follow through...great guy to work with and he has become a good friend also.

Wayne

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wayne,

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery, we had no idea you had such a horrible accident. Sounds like you have the positive attitude that will get you back to 100%, hopefully soon. And keep driving your beautiful coupe for therapy, maybe you can bill your insurance company for the gas!

Chris

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Glad to see you back Wayne. Sounds like a pretty bad accident.

Maybe by May 2014 you can drive the coupe down to The Vintage meet in Winston-Salem NC.
We usually have about 300 BMW's.
Had about 8-9 Coupes this year.
Want to see your MS setup.

Gary

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I look forward to hearing more about your continued improving health and E9 development.
Best Wishes.

Henrik

Reaction score
Megasquirt seem to be be the medicine for a lot of problems but I need some support!!
Right now I have to decide what to do with my (CSL project) engine.
-All original D-jetronic but with one big difference, block is 3.5 liter (don´t know where the original block went). According to the expertise this is not optional.
Options (in my view):
-Get a 3.0 liter CSI block and use as a substitute for the 3003cc block.
-Get a 3.0 liter CSI block and prepare it for overbore Mahle pistons (3003cc) to gain some sort of originality (very expensive)
-Use the 3,5 liter block and cylinder head with original cam and convert it to mega squirt.

A lot of power is not an issue, but fun driving with a well balanced engine with enough torque to give me a proper push through corners.

Any suggestions or ideas gentlemen?

Henrik

Reaction score
I´ll get in contact with him when the engine is getting ready. The Mega Squirt first seemed to be a very foggy thing for me, but after reading this thread
it seems more understandable.

A new cam could also be a part of the scope.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Be prepared to adjust your idle air and WOT fuel map yourself. The auto tune function will bring you only 80% of your map.
Ms2PNP is a snap but it helps to smooth the maps by hand.
BMW's love a 12.8 idle and a 12 .8 WOT
Let me know if I can help!

Henrik

Reaction score
Be prepared to adjust your idle air and WOT fuel map yourself. The auto tune function will bring you only 80% of your map.
Ms2PNP is a snap but it helps to smooth the maps by hand.
BMW's love a 12.8 idle and a 12 .8 WOT
Let me know if I can help!

The engine and body will not be ready before next summer, but I'll save this in my book of tips and tricks. Thanks!

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
E9Wayne back in action

Thanks to Gary and all my other well wishers. The e9 is the best therapy outside of theraputic yoga I'm going through now to get my skin back in order. Anyway, the Salem event sounds great for 2014 and my car will be ready once I sort some final AC and turn signal wiring issues out. Are there any caravans planned from the Northeast or Virginia area that I could join? I will try to get my wife to go as well.