Installed the Mega Squirt today...

johanaxelson

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies David, you do have an interested group of possible customers here. Very attentive audience :)

A few more small questions if you don't mind? The whole things sounds pretty interesting to me. Could be a fun winter project.

When does one need to re-tune it?
Change of cam shaft is pretty clear.
But for things like new exhaust and headers?
New air filter?

Since I have a M30B35 with a light Shrick cam I guess I have a fairly standard setup, how many tuning hours on a dyno would I expect to need?

Oh, and do you have a list of resellers in Europe? Did not see one on the homepage but maybe I missed it?

And it would be nice to see some before and after dynos.

/Johan

pamp

Reaction score
MS

Indeed,
I do not mean to be critical, but a few years ago the MS seemed pretty "Radio Shack" and not for the feint of heart. I am happy for all the info and that, as well, that the tuning of the product seems to be approaching maturity (thanks to the many who saw this through) For sure the Electromotive system is impressive...yet expensive, as well as the other alternatives out there. The e9 market is pretty small. It is cool to see the effort put forth. I will be watching this thread for sure...

draleu

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies David, you do have an interested group of possible customers here. Very attentive audience :)

:? Not sure if that is good as building a MS box takes about 4-6 hours.

When does one need to re-tune it?
Change of cam shaft is pretty clear.
But for things like new exhaust and headers?
New air filter?

Since I have a M30B35 with a light Shrick cam I guess I have a fairly standard setup, how many tuning hours on a dyno would I expect to need?

Well, you can retune the car as often as you like. It is a very simple process with Autotune and VE Analyzer. Just start the car with Tuner Studio opened, start logging, start Autotune and start driving. For exhaust I would definitely run both on retune. For air filter I would probably just log the drive and see what VE Analyzer says.

Dyno time is not really needed unless you have a heavily modified engine and have an expert dyno guy who knows what he is doing. For an average engine our conservative map would work well for 87 octane gas.

Oh, and do you have a list of resellers in Europe? Did not see one on the homepage but maybe I missed it?

And it would be nice to see some before and after dynos.

/Johan

We don't list resellers because most of the shops out in Europe are reselling our stuff under their own names. It is mostly on our upgraded Turbos. We also sell direct to individuals in Europe through eBay.

As for before and after dyno, I am sure Wayne is going to do that shortly.
:-D

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 13 year old daughter can do it!

Hey guys, my full report and video is a few days off, but I was in the car today with my 13 year old daughter tuning the idle mixture and other fuel/air maps via the laptop with David coaching to dial this thing in -- real time, no dyno needed. Don't overthink this, it's really not that complicated and I am no electronics wizard for sure. You plug the MS box in place of Motronic, junk your AFM (saving 5.6 pounds by the way) and plug the straight aluminum tube with air temperature sensor in its place, rewire your TPS for 0 - 100% feedback, insert the MAP sensor tube into your plenum, and install a wide band 02 sensor, that is basically it. You then hook up your laptop with the included USB cable for the Megasquirt and get full visibility into what your car is doing at all rpms -- mixture, spark advance, etc. Autotune mode will tune your car above idle automatically and lock in better fuel/air mixture and ignition, with your laptop. For idle and cold start, given there are no maps out there right now for my engine, there's a little more work involved but nothing my 13 year old and I can't solve. You fiddle with numbers, with MS maps guiding you, burn a new update to the ECU and your car runs better right away. If you mess up, you just go back to the old numbers again. This is fun! All that remains now is getting cold start right and letting autotune do its magic while I drive the car. I don't want to oversell this thing, but I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. Wayne

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
System Requirements

Folks have done an excellent job of describing the system requirements. I am still a little uncertain as to whether or not the 60-2 toothed balancer and VR sensor (what is that?) are required for all conversions (i.e., CS, CSi, or motronic 1.3).

Could somebody please give a definitive answer on that as well.

Thanks
Drew

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
60-2 balancer

Which models have the 60-2 balancer (i.e. Where can we get them?)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fun thing about that balancer- every junkyard in the country is getting more and more of them. The e32 735i was sold in huge numbers in the US and are worthless now. Only 8 very low torque bolts and it comes off. Pick and pull inventory shows 10 within 50 miles of me on e32's.
http://www.picknpull.com/check_inve...g=-122.237027&Make=BMW&Model=735i&Distance=50
4 more on the e34...
http://www.picknpull.com/check_inve...122.237027&Make=BMW&Model=535i/is&Distance=50

Make sure you get the bolts- the pick-up and the pullies- all were upgrades from earlier models.

pamp

Reaction score
Balancer

The balancer in the photo I took of came off a junk 3.5 I have kicking around my shop...source car is unknown. The block #41064314. The number on the balancer is 1 710 764. I saw nothing on the Penske site to match this, (it has a v-belt pulley integral) The donor motor was an automatic...would this matter for a manual application? Seems to me to be a pricey item. Thanks ahead to any information on this. Visually, it looks like a good match for my D-jet motor. Is the crank adapter doweled the same? Can I re-use my old pulleys (pulleys on the junk motor are damaged)

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
764 didn't show up on realoem up for- it shows 763.
Bet you have a newer one.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GB43&mospid=47359&btnr=11_0303&hg=11&fg=20&hl=1

14 available within 50 miles of my house- mind you I call it a "Pulley" when I get to the window to pay. about 50 bucks + tax+ enviornmental fee + core.

You can always call Marshall or Dean at Double 02 Salvage and pay your 125 bucks for a pretty clean one with no tramping around the boneyard.

:]

pamp

Reaction score
Balancer

OK...so no worries about the donor being an auto car. I suppose it wouldn't kill me to do the damper install ahead of the game just to see what will work...nice for someone else who has already jumped through the hoops to give advise...Don, did you install the damper yourself? Did it go right on indexed to the dowel in the proper location for the pulse generator? It would suck if the hubs were different.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Same hub- indexed like all the others. Don't lose the bolts and washers they are special...

M8X16-Z1 bolts

A8,4 washers

About this time BMW started to ask more from it's ac unit, water pump and altenator.
Usually done by "Clocking" everything.

Keep an eye on pulley size and fan belts..
Pulley on the e32 is 142mm

Earlier cars came with 124.

144mm for the water pump- new is 130mm.

I change everything at once and upgrade.

pamp

Reaction score
Pulley

So,
I cannot go with my original outer pulley hub? Save quite a bit of belt resize if I could, as for sure my donor hub is trashed, obvious differences in OD compared to the old hub, as well my remote location makes parts procurement difficult to say the least... "Barge on Wednesday" is the motto. Hence my hobby shop is a squirrel den to say the least...

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Can't you pick up a fresh part at the dealer in Port Alberni?

Hehehehehe.

Funny- "eh"???

You should have no problems with the original.

pamp

Reaction score
"eh"

Yeah,
I checked with my Alberni guy, but he was out fishing. When he got back to me he said "Barge on Wednesday"...
Thanks Don! How many beer to pull a radiator?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pamp,

Here is a photo of the toothed wheel, VR sensor, and the old 124 mm double pulley. It should all fit. The water pump and alternator are driven off the the larger pulley that is integral with the toothed wheel. The AC and PS off of the separate double pulley.

Attachments

• EnginePulley.jpg
    EnginePulley.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 255

pamp

Reaction score
Damn

Sven,
That would be exactly how it would look, in my mind, with the engine place.
Unfortunately, my time in Seattle is so limited with meetings, seminars, training. It is all I can do to climb into the hotel rack at night and ready for the next day. I want to to thank you for your gracious invitation to your shop, and apologize for my lack of time to do so.
You are for sure a pioneer on this project. As I know your day job is as not a full on mechanic, myself as a dinosaur diesel guy, your efforts are impressive. My hope would be that the Mega guy would interface with you and learn from these efforts. Indeed, there would be different components required for.. a) An original carb CS, b)An original D-jet (Csi) c) A car with Motronic or( L-jet for that matter) Would be nice to see a component list for the different apps. I for certain know what might be needed, for mine, but for me, I would need more complete input, information, and commitment from the supplier before I proceed. This not a Ford. Thanks to sfdon

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
'How many beer to pull a radiator? "

Sadly- zero...

I can't afford to drink and work on my clients cars with their new paint jobs.

How many beers to talk about pulling a radiator afterwards?

How big are the beers? :p