KHM Headliner

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alan, why don't you take a picture of the headliner (close up) so we can see the detail of the vinyl. we see pics of your installation but there is no definitive shot that shows that the fabric matches the original. if you look at Keshav's pic of the black CSL fabric, we get the detail. HBChris' pic of his headliner gives us perfect imagery of the original.

so closeup pics ... or it doesn't match

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Scott,
An email/ on line request to SMS Auto Fabrics requesting a sample will do the job. They’ll send you a sample directly within a couple of days. Specify ‘white’ headliner for BMW E9 since it’s not visible on their site. Alan doesn’t have his car near by.....
https://smsautofabrics.com/

Keshav

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
thanks Keshav, i'm actually not in need, my headliner is great. i was just wanting Alan, who has one installed, to take a pic of his that shows that it is correct so that other people who follow know they are getting an accurate fabric + not waste time or money.

tmason

Reaction score
I talked to SMS this morning and I'm sending them a sample to see if they have a match. They don't have our cars in their system.
Marco sent me a sample of KHM and I sent him a sample on mine original.

JamesE30

Reaction score
Im not that fussed about having 100% matching texture (actually its kind of funny the lengths people go to to replicate the exact oem specs of so,e things haha), Im just more concerned about fit and overall quality, BUT if the texture matches too then great! ;)

Having said that, is KHM offering the new material in black as well?

Thanks

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Im just more concerned about fit

Hi James,
What fit? They don’t come as ready to install (as far as I know) kit, rather just the material which has to be stitched together and cut to shape by the upholstery guys and then installed.

If the black material is the same as the white one from KHM which is far from original, the Csl crowd won’t touch it with a barge pole!

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the oem dot pattern is really gone as i had the last piece avail.
but the other match really well as linear pattern is exact from sms as
thats what i used

JamesE30

Reaction score
Hi James,
What fit? They don’t come as ready to install (as far as I know) kit, rather just the material which has to be stitched together and cut to shape by the upholstery guys and then installed.

If the black material is the same as the white one from KHM which is far from original, the Csl crowd won’t touch it with a barge pole!

Oh.. I was under the impression these were pre-cut and trimmed ready for installation. That’s a shame.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh.. I was under the impression these were pre-cut and trimmed ready for installation. That’s a shame.

This is a complete kit ready to install, but it isn't a great match to the original.
I have it in my car, and I'm totally okay with the look and quality.
https://www.lakewell.com/en/bmw/headlining-kit-bmw-2500/2800/3-0-cs-68-75-e9-models

DSC_0650.jpg DSC_0655.jpg

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i went into my storage and did find a piece of the linear pattern
headliner from oregons sms
so i can send 4" x 4" samples to anyone that needs one
also i do have the zenith carb oem repair manual if needed ok
alan im also at
[email protected] TO EXPEDITE REPLY
JUST EMAIL NAME AND ADDRESS

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i went into my storage and did find a piece of the linear pattern headliner from oregons sms
so i can send 4" x 4" samples to anyone that needs one

Good man Alan! I’ll shoot you an email with my address (same as always). I will snap some detailed pictures, take measurements of the perforations, and snap pics of the original found in my 2800CS. I can also send to SMS if needed. If you can get it or shortly the forum will benefit by early next week. Many thanks!

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
MY CAMERA DOESN'T SEEM TO WANT TO FOCUS ON A WHITE SURFACE
AS THERE'S NOTHING TO PICK UP FOR AUTO LENS TO FOCUS ON
THIS IS THE BEST I COULD DO

If you want to give it another try, take the piece to a well lit room and turn your flash off. The natural light will capture the texture. What you are experiencing is called “flash blowout”. Thanks for the first attempt!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many thanks to @aearch for sending a sample of fabric from SMS.

I just grabbed the mail on the way out the door, so no time to do a side by side comparison (yet).

My initial observation is that the fabric is heavy duty. It is a good 1mm thick and fabric backed. The perforations are present, but almost invisible to the naked eye. I suspect that in larger form, they are more visible in the cabin. With that said, I know that the perforations do not match factory specs. I’m not sure how close the texture is, but it looks convincing.

The fabric isn’t flat in this picture so note the waves.
168F03D0-DF36-410A-980A-34E17246F325.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW, I’m guessing that they run the fabric through a perforation machine, and this stuff is too thick to fully pucture the material. The result is divots instead of holes.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At first glance (of the pictures), it kind of looks like a candy-coated version of the original. A little thicker and maybe with slightly less crisp definition.?. But it is refreshing to see the line pattern. I don't know what it is about those lines, but I love the design.