Lowering the e9

p.smitty

Reaction score
I just put BBS RS 16's on my car, and it still looks about 2" to tall in the front. It has brand new Bilstein struts and spacers have been removed. I know that Carl sells a lowering kit. How much will it lower the car and how does it affect the ride/steering quality? Also, how much does installation usually cost?

Thank You For Any Input,

Pat

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
The photos a little dark around the wheel arch, but I'd 2nd the comment that it looks great as is. Looks just like mine, in fact. :grin:

duane_sword

Reaction score
I went a little lower.... Alpina B2 competition spring package, and here I am on track at Lime Rock CT testing the grip and suspension travel ;-)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368131280.923232.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368131308.374285.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368131368.351338.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368131492.388366.jpg

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I lowered the front with CN springs left the rear stock. Reveal from the tire to the fender lips are the same

Attachments

• Stock Alloys.jpg
    Stock Alloys.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Basket Weave.jpg
    Basket Weave.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 310
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

ccmguy8

Reaction score
Pat,

My coupe is lowered on Carl Nelson springs all around with front spacers removed and HD Bilstein struts. Front fenders are rolled. The ride is very comfortable and steering is great. I was afraid that the springs wouldn't lower the car enough but I'm very happy with the stance now. The cost for spring installation should be $300-500 I think.

F789A3F1-A5B1-4AE1-B29C-5EFBD85E7DB7-4106-000005C5A9F7180E_zps3ccd3fbd.jpg

Martin

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Duane

Cheers to you for driving in the rain, I just got home and I was going to drive her for her 3rd mini-maiden-voyage from work to the house but it was raining-just a little- I left her in the warehouse at work... Now I wish I drove it. Lime Rock is great, I used to live in Sharon CT and my dad was the race doctor at the track in 1969 :)

Many fond memories and it always seemed to rain!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ditto here, CN springs and Bilstein HD's all around and no spacers in front. A little rough on the potholes here but great at speed with the handling. I did it all myself so anyone with the right tools can do same. Must be careful turning into an inclined driveway, have had tire hit the fender lip, other than that no problems on my stock wheels.

IMG_1368.jpg

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a question about the Carl Nelson springs. From many of the threads I'm getting there are different ride heights based on new or old CN springs. I saw a coupe a couple of weeks ago on the new CN springs and it looked very close to stock height. Owner was a bit disappointed to say the least.

As a result I have been talking with Hardy and Beck about a suspension package.

I understand there are different set ups but is there consensus on whether the new springs are as low as the older version?

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Springs

Just installed Carl's springs and Bilsteins all the way around, lowered car about2.5"

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow. That is a lot. Guessing spacers etc must have had a part in getting that drop. Did you go with the shorter stoke Bilstein Sports?

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I had a spare set of springs, so I cut a coil off the front and rears, paired with HDs. The fronts were perfect. The rears were too low, so I put the original springs back in the rear and went down a spacer size. The pic that was shot on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way to The Vintage in 2010 (which is the one on the back cover of my book), with the trunk full of crap, so the car looks just a skosh tail-heavy. With the trunk empty it's about right.

--Rob

Attachments

• IMG_0953r.jpg
    IMG_0953r.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 310

DerSchwede

Reaction score
I had a spare set of springs, so I cut a coil off the front and rears, paired with HDs. The fronts were perfect. The rears were too low, so I put the original springs back in the rear and went down a spacer size. The pic that was shot on the Blue Ridge Parkway on the way to The Vintage in 2010 (which is the one on the back cover of my book), with the trunk full of crap, so the car looks just a skosh tail-heavy. With the trunk empty it's about right.

--Rob

I think the rear ride height shouldn't be higher than that with the current lowering up front. A basic difference between front and rear end of the rocker panel height is about 0.5" (higher at the rear end)

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's another to look, mine is a 1972 I have Bilstiens 16" Alpinas with Miller & Norburn springs.

Attachments

• Coupe @ Biltmore Edited .jpg
    Coupe @ Biltmore Edited .jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 321

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
another nice set up... I prefer the rear end tucked (low or no rake) like this one and Stan's