Made a couple small parts: seat belt channel and gas cap holder

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
in case it is not possible to copy it better, I would like to draw attention to the perception of the size of the imaginary circle that the grids frame; this circle is much closer to the edges on the original grid than on the reproduction, so the reproduction appears to have less air gap

In my opinion, you should make the circle bigger in the reproduced piece by getting closer to the edges to keep the image of the original piece a bit.

1672730745821.png

the green circle is same size of the original part, the blue is a smidge larger, probably worth it as you get a similar perceived sizes

IMHO

thank you

x_atlas0

Reaction score
one last little change I would suggest,

the title of this thread does not do justice to the actual part, so maybe ?

I figured I would make a 'for sale' thread like I did for the gas caps when the time comes.

Although, I'm surprised nobody's interested in the seat belt spacers, since they worked well for me. Perhaps everyone else's seat belts have more tension and slide easily between the rear armrest and the door card?

What other parts / problems do people want me to work on? I was considering the intermediate housing between the AC box and the heater box, the AC faceplate, or building a double-DIN enclosure encompassing the center speaker via extending the instrument cowling.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
So @Wobdog asked in the fuel cap holder thread for a cup holder. I've been thinking on the idea and I have a couple concepts I could try out. Does anyone have other ideas for upgrades/parts they would like to see remade or improved?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At one time, BMW, a sold retrofit dual cup holder which fit snuggly to the emergency brake. @Stan may still have one of those in his parts bin.

Eric Anton, made center consoles which had a retractable cup holder made of plastic 'cintra board', which were OK. Mine broke

Roman Goldberg makes the black aluminum 'patina handle'. Which I have in my 4 older BMWs. They attach to the 10mm bolt on the front seat.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Latest version:
1680365393486.png

Please give feedback on what to change. Original on the left, mine on the right. This one was printed with ABS, so it's less 'shiny' than some of the previous versions. I verified the new print fits with the console side panels.

I know it takes a while to update this part, but that's because right now, to get that quality, it takes ~2 days to print. I'll optimize after I lock the design.

Reactions: Dlc

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Had a little time this weekend for something else, working off an example part I bought last year:
1680489327667.png

I am modifying the number of vertical spars due to the reduced strength of whatever I decide to print this out of vs cast aluminum.

In terms of a cupholder, how would people feel if I replaced the vents in the piece above with my cupholder design? The AC system output isn't through there, and the system ingests enough air from the side vents, so I don't think it would impact performance much.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Not a great first attempt with the supports:
1680752521424.png

It does give me some interesting ideas though for modified radio setups. Would people be interested in a double-DIN with the AC controls pushed over?

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Per some feedback from the forum, I took a stab at making a completely reversible phone mount. (no screws or adhesive plates)

1685200388437.png

I have printed one of them and I'm making some adjustments, but it seems to work. Any suggestions with the design? It fits behind the speaker grille for location and adhesion. Alternatively, I can also just replace the speaker grille entirely if I change the design. Based on the forum's feedback, I could make it a cupholder too.