Motronic 1.3 To MegaSquirt

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Hi All

Well i have had the 1.3 for some time now and I think it's time to move on. Back when it was the new/used system to go to, I went Head first and read as much info as was available which wasn’t much, just a few pics on the web. It worked and worked good but you all know it has its drawbacks - no adjustability for the most part.

On to Megasquirt
First thing is why would I take this on when you can have a Pro like Don just do it. Well I’m going to lean on the guys on the board to guide me along. I’m doing this with my son Michael who has been on me to swap over for some time. We want to learn all there is so we can fix, adjust, and tune in the future.

My Dirty m30 - 10:1 & a cam runs good but Something is missing , that extra HP / Torque.
I was at Dons place in the bay last week and noticed a block it was wrapped in plastic and I asked him what pistons are those... he smiled and said Custom. Yeah he planted the seed.
Let’s see what ... pics to come

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s an m90 block bored out with custom high compression pistons fitted for a b35 head. And more..... cam, rods....
not Terry Tinney class but still lots of fun.
Logan Saltsman‘s idea.

26674AE7-F071-4181-A239-A71A9C47C97B.jpeg

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey I didn’t give up there are just “ Days Between “ ⚡⚡
I have a few things to get right before I rip into the Coupe... in this order.

1. I have a dead spot in my ECU / Harness that needs to be found. The problem is that when I push it to around 4-5 grand it cut/backfires, not good.

2. With COVID-19 I haven’t driven it in months and when I did take it out last weekend it ran fine , but when I got home I left it on the driveway for 10 minutes and it would not restart. Checked everything, turned out to be the pulse sensor on the balancer. But still cuts ou t:-(
But hay I’m going Megasquirt.

3. Then there are all the engine changes.
Schrick cam - Head work.
Clean and coat the intake bits.
Get my Stahl headers coated - new exhaust behind the headers.

So it’s like cooking a good meal... it all has to come together at the same time.

I’m not sure if I should install the Megasquirt first or after the mods. Going to go see

Last edited:
Reactions: Rek

TodB

Reaction score
Sure sounds like the ECU, I had the exact same issue in my E28 535i. Can you swap another known good ECU to test? There are also folks out there who will test and fix the ECU

Bearmw

Reaction score
As you say it may be the ECU or harness. Unfortunately many of the harnesses are also showing their age and can lead to similar issues. I remember a lengthy thread on R3Vlimited where jlevie discussed dealing with an intermittent cutout issue at higher revs during spec E30 racing that was caused by an old harness. He ended up buying some new harnesses if I recall. I have megasquirt on my m30 E30 and made my own harness to avoid such issues. I hope your issue is as simple as an old ECU since tracing a faulty harness can be time consuming.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I delivered my spare head to my Machine shop this week. Ordered a cam, dual springs .

Stahl Header ??? In this thread

Last edited:

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well things are coming together slowly and I have a question.
Firewall insulation, I haven’t had one on my car and I’m thinking maybe I will if there is a big improvement in sound n heat in the cabin.

What are your thought? Don’t Csl not have the padding...

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update

Finally got my head back , parts took more time that I like. Head gasket & other gaskets showed up also.

E21DE713-EA00-4212-BBDD-03324B2F3D37.jpeg

There was this deep rabbit hole I feel into, you know ... while your in there.

I had painted my engine bay some years ago but it didn’t come out the right color so I stripped everything out and repainted. This time it matched up great.

Old paint
D173A826-1782-44FA-9CA3-870CA9F31947.jpeg

New paint
0F254FB4-A3B4-487C-ABCC-83BC23B51E64.jpeg

Engine bits cleaned up nicely
7B0D90DC-B48C-4506-958A-748DAAA41F13.jpeg

More to come soon

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
33B0348F-3F11-438C-8470-76578F5410AE.jpeg

2C7D8659-1B76-4021-8CA6-06A62A8C7A6B.jpeg

In the beginning I wanted to do and learn as much as I could about MS by myself , I had no idea how the harness was going to be so different from the standard old bmw harness. there are things in the harness I had no idea about. So here I am ... helplessly waiting.

Last edited: