Murray

execmalibu

Reaction score
An E9 expert and a GREAT guy!

Murray was an absolute authority on everything E9 and he was always great to talk to and learn from...

Murray sold me what I understand is the Original Steering Wheel from the Blumax and it is hanging on my wall. When I look at the wheel I know it is from of a special person and part of E9 history...

RIP....

Last edited:

nealf

Reaction score
RIP Murray

I did have the pleasure of meeting Murray when he attended the Vintage at the Vineyards a few years back in NC. He was riveting and captivating when it came to telling life and automobile stories...

nf
'70 2800CS
'72 Tii

Ed G

Site Donor
Reaction score
An amazing man with inspirational character. I'm sure he will be missed by more than we will ever know.

God bless Murray.

DaSurfa

Reaction score
My heart is deeply saddened by this news of the loss of a great gentleman to our community. You will be dearly missed by all of us.

"Keep on couping" up in the heavens Murray!

David D

dbower

Reaction score
I'd like to add my Murray story to this record of his many kindnesses. About 6 months ago, I began searching for an outstanding coupe to replace my very good coupe. Not long into my search, Murray posted in this forum that his health was declining and he was considering selling the Blumax. I enjoyed several long - long - phone chats with him, not only about Blumax but our coupe experiences in general and the folks we had met along the journey.

At one point in our discussions, having never seen the car in the flesh, I asked Murray about any rust on the Blumax. I could hear the indignation rise in his voice as he lectured me about his care for her, how he learned rust prevention in the Navy, etc etc. It remains incredible to me that a coupe could have been driven 400K miles in all parts of the country, year round, and not show some rust -- but Murray soon disabused me of that notion.

He called me about a month ago to ask if I was still interested, saying that his time was short. I shared with him that I had found another coupe in the meantime, but I did share the names of a couple of folks whom I knew were looking and would probably be in a better position to afford what the Blumax should command. I also encouraged him to contact BMWNA, as did several of you. I closed by thanking him for being an inspiration to more of us than he would ever know and hoping that we'd meet "in person" sometime.

And I also told him that if anyone ever turned the Blumax into a trailer queen, I would help Murray's spirit haunt them.

Don Bower

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Services for Murray

This is from his son Dave: (revised)

The service / celebration of life will be at OC Church
7 th day Adventist
77 Post, Irvine 92618
Near Sand Canyon @ the 133 tollroad
At 12:30pm on Sat the 16th, there will be a meet and greet
potluck supplied by the congregation followed by services which begin promptly at 2:00.

Everyone is welcome, PM me with any questions.

Chris

Last edited:

corsachili

Reaction score
The last time I saw Murray was less than a year ago at the San Diego Clean Car show. He was still the same guy we all knew and loved. I'm happy to remember him that way, but touched that so many of you spent time with him over the past few months.

RIP Murray.

-tj in los gatos

bwalvoord

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was never fortunate enough to meet Murray in person, but I will never forget the Sunday afternoon about a year ago when he called me out of the blue. I had just purchased a few switches and a headliner from him, and like any good patriarch, was calling to inquire whether I was serious (worthy) of the coupe and membership into this family. He spent about 2 hours on the phone giving me pointers and advice on everything from who in my region to meet and source parts from, to the top 100 places to search for rust. I wish I had taken better notes, but either way it left me with the indelible impression that I had a lot of work to do and a lot more to give back.

gwittman

Reaction score
Murray was always willing to help anyone in need. He also did not hesitate to ask for help when needed. Many remember him for loving cars but I also remember him for loving car people and most people in general. I am going to miss being able to drive across town to have a chat with him.

I was reassembling my Coupe with some much needed maintenance on the day he passed. I ended up doing more than I had planned. Maybe Murray was looking over my shoulder and was pointing out things that I should also do. I know he had more important things to do but knowing him he would not mind stopping off along the way to greater things to help out.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Orangener

Reaction score
My condolensces.
I never had the pleasure to meet Murray personally, but we had contact over this board several times, and it seems to me that he had a great life.
He will still be present to me as one of the persons that kept his BMW-E9-passion alive and I will take him as an example !

Ruhe in Frieden und mein herzliches Beileid an die Hinterbliebenen !

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Murray - from the Roundel weekly

Please see a jpg of the piece on Murray from the Roundel Weekly

Attachments

• murray.jpg
    murray.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 174

coupelady

Reaction score
I had been thinking about Murray over the weekend heavily, I just learned why - his passing. I will be celebrating 30 years with my beloved coupe March 9th. I thought I really had something there but not so as Murray had me beat. It is always great to have others to look up to, apparently his coupe meant so much to him as mine is to me. I did read the story and documentation he put together of his life with his coupe. I just sat there and sobbed as I could feel what he was saying. What a celebration of man and machine.

Amy Lester

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a chance to interact with Murray late last year via emails and what a gentleman he was to communicate with. A very fond farewell Murray!

pmansson

Reaction score
Thanks to the Internet

Without it, 90% of the board members would not have had the chance to know him, either in person or through high level e-mail communications. When I discovered the Forum about 7 years ago, I quickly realized that this was a remarkable man. I live in Sweden and Switzerland, and on the two most recent trips to the West Coast, I planned my travel in order to meet him. December 2009 and June 2011. We drove to La Jolla, where I noticed that the guys at Carl Nelson´s garage (Carl was absent that day) deeply respected Murray for his incredibly knowledge. On another occasion I drove my rental car and Murray drove Mehrdad´s Colorado car, which I had bought through him. I had a hard time keeping up as he was going fast and changing lanes all the time. We were on our way to Peter Sliskovich/Coupe King. Murray also helped me with the Sienna car. (I name my cars by their colours).
We further discussed business projects, which showed his mental alertness outside the world of old cars. A most remarkable gentleman has finally signed out.
I would have travelled far to participate in the funeral service, but cannot make it this time.
Kind regards to Chris for his assistance during this last phase in Murray´s life.
Peder

RonP

Reaction score
I just returned home from Murray's service. What a great celebration of his life. I am blessed to have known him all of these years, and look forward to seeing him again. He was a great influence on my life, and nudged me quite often many years ago to start restoring coupes, and for that I am grateful. I grew up with his two youngest kids, Jeff and Missy and got to know his eldest son, Dave later on as he would drive Murray to all of the club events. What a great Ambassador and he will be sadly missed.

pamp

Reaction score
Thank you Ron....a sad day indeed. You too have been a gracious ambassador to this cult of ours. I hope you carry on with the tradition and passion of the late Captain Fowler.