My Alpina B2 powered 3.0CS

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have one of these 250 HP ALPINA engines in my car. Engine is original matching number. Terrible starter, but very nice to drive above 2,000 rpm.
Is your aluminum Alpina air box still original finish? I made the mistake of refinishing mine many years ago and went with a spray on Krinkle paint after taking it down to bare aluminum. I would like to redo this. Wish I had just touched up the blemishes on mine rather than try too make it new.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is your aluminum Alpina airbag still original finish? I made the mistake of refinishing mine many years ago and went with a spray on Krinkle paint after taking it down to bare aluminum. I would like to redo this. Wish I had just touched up the blemishes on mine rather than try too make it new.

@mark99 recently refinished his repro box. He didn’t like the original finish on his.

On a somewhat related note, there is a B2 motor for 12,000 € on ebay. Too pricey for me, but it is just another example of a red Alpina motor. There are too many of these for it to be a coincidence.

A2C6D86B-0AB5-4995-8CFE-8E1C4C156D90.jpeg
D41C085F-1E25-42DC-8C15-0ECEAC87E00D.jpeg
4E99628C-188E-4402-9DD4-382B3A489BC7.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have an allegedly original Alpina triple Weber setup sans linkage (from Mario), and the plenum and air filter box are black. Maybe red was reserved for B2’s and the aftermarket got boring black ?

John

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I much prefer Black. Mine was original finish when I purchased it. John, is the Purolator script bare metal or painted on yours?

JamesE30

Reaction score
@mark99 recently refinished his repro box. He didn’t like the original finish on his.

On a somewhat related note, there is a B2 motor for 12,000 € on ebay. Too pricey for me, but it is just another example of a red Alpina motor. There are too many of these for it to be a coincidence.

View attachment 119902View attachment 119903View attachment 119904

Wow, that’s really interesting. It’s again a slightly pinkish hue of red...

It’s possible it was just a trend at the time though.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I much prefer Black. Mine was original finish when I purchased it. John, is the Purolator script bare metal or painted on yours?
The Purolator script is bare aluminum in my airbox. Do you think that’s original?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The Purolator script is bare aluminum in my airbox. Do you think that’s original?
This grainy shot is how mine looked when I bought it. (Cell phone shot taken off my old photo bucket account)

Attachments

• tempImagexpNlSX.png
    tempImagexpNlSX.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 137

JamesE30

Reaction score
This grainy shot is how mine looked when I bought it. (Cell phone shot taken off my old photo bucket account)
Is that an original B2 conversion? I see the bracket for the csi airbox is bolted on, presumably a carb car originally. I wonder if thats how Alpina mounted the brackets or if they welded them on?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is that an original B2 conversion? I see the bracket for the csi airbox is bolted on, presumably a carb car originally. I wonder if thats how Alpina mounted the brackets or if they welded them on?
It was originally a 71' Belgian 2800 CS. My hunch is that Kormann put this together as the engine block is Blue.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Photo evidence suggests that they bolted them on.

was8001967

Reaction score
Good point, and more importantly I finally made sense of the french article below. The B2S is indeed documented as 250hp, by way of the 83hp per liter calc. Why they didn’t state overall HP anywhere in the article - I don’t know. I was translating as 83 per cylinder which had me totally confused.

HP Reference on the bottom of page 2. @JamesE30 I hope you don’t find this too noisy.

View attachment 116957View attachment 116958the
My understanding export B2’s had Webber’s? Could this account for any extra HP over the Solex?

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
I spoke to the former head of ALPINA test bench earlier this year regarding the Weber carburetors on my original ALPINA B3 engine.

According to him, the Solex is the better carburetor, which allows better combustion of the gasoline fuel ratio.

A better and cleaner combustion also indicates more power.

The Weber have just prevailed because the spare parts supply is better.

I would not change my Weber carburetors because they run very well. Never change a winning team.

Best regards
Andreas

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think Webers were used for emissions reasons, not HP.

I believed that they used both, and not necessarily tied to B2 vs B2S. I know of at least one B2S with solex carbs. My assumption was that B2S got Solex but I read otherwise (on the forum).