My Alpina B2 powered 3.0CS

shanon

Reaction score
Hello, any details on the motor build?
Which carbs, cam and pistons?

Stated somewhere earlier in this 13pg thread possibly?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This photo is so quintessentially German right down to the tile workshop floor and the jumpsuit. Very few BMW tuners are running engine dynos, which is the biggest giveaway.

I am enamored with your motor. I want the same setup, just with my 3.5 as a start. You have me convinced that I need those headers. I’m curious to know if they clear the washer tank without melting it. I will need the washer tank in my car.

Did you get the matching exhaust?

Long time no real updates, but there will be some progress soon!

Almost one year after finishing the complete engine rebuild, there was time to have it tuned and started for the first time!

I’m pleased to say that so far everything went perfectly and the engine is running great!

The tuner (Uli from Ital Auto) said the carbs are very sensitive but he has them dialed in now and sounding great! The engine has about 2 hours of running in time so far and will remain at these settings until its completed its run in time in the car. Final tuning will be done on the rolling road.

Super happy to see and hear it, and very pleased that everything went so well! :p

View attachment 116855View attachment 116854View attachment 116857View attachment 116856View attachment 116858

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello, any details on the motor build?
Which carbs, cam and pistons?

Stated somewhere earlier in this 13pg thread possibly?

The B2 put out about 250hp which is quite impressive IMO. Curious to know where this lands, and if that number was a pre-197X hp calculation. I’ll be leaning on @JamesE30 and @m5bb in a few years for spec info. I won’t get ahead of myself or the competing priorities however. :D

shanon

Reaction score
Hi, It's an Alpina B2 rebuilt to original spec.
Pinao top pistons
300* Alpina camshaft
Solex 40DDHT carburettors

Our motors are very similar with the piano top pistons and 300* Alpina cam. I am running the 45DCOES and just had to do the funky single trumpet/velocity stack as per the 1970 SPA car.
Keep us posted on the project. I am sure you will be very pleased ;)

JamesE30

Reaction score
The B2 put out about 250hp which is quite impressive IMO. Curious to know where this lands, and if that number was a pre-197X hp calculation. I’ll be leaning on @JamesE30 and @m5bb in a few years for spec info. I won’t get ahead of myself or the competing priorities however. :D

I think that might be the B2S spec, everywhere I read that B2 makes about 230hp. I’m really curious and a little anxious how much power it will make. Mentally preparing myself that it might have lost a few horses after 45 years.. I guess we’ll see!

I did buy the exhaust as a complete system, it’s made by classicexhaust.de in south of Germany. I had just the manifold ceramic coated which helped a lot with the heat but I guess we’ll see how the plastic tank survives.

Our motors are very similar with the piano top pistons and 300* Alpina cam. I am running the 45DCOES and just had to do the funky single trumpet/velocity stack as per the 1970 SPA car.
Keep us posted on the project. I am sure you will be very pleased ;)

Sounds great, I’d love to see some pics!

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
230 HP seems possible... i don't believe 250 HP. My factory new ! 3.5l on triple webers was 210 HP... +10% with better cam and headers must be possible..... but + 20 % ????

shanon

Reaction score
A pic as requested James.

I also ceramic coated my headers (Jet-Hot) many years ago. Very pleased i did. My 50 year old wiper fluid container has fared well and heat in bay is definetely reduced.

The container's issues have not been heat, it has been where it mounts to fender well. I has developed a hair line fissure crack at mount point. It weeps to a certain point then stops. So it runs around a 1/3 full until I put some more goo/sealant on it.

(Sounds great, I’d love to see some pics!

20210409_121936.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that might be the B2S spec, everywhere I read that B2 makes about 230hp. I’m really curious and a little anxious how much power it will make. Mentally preparing myself that it might have lost a few horses after 45 years.. I guess we’ll see!

Ahh yes I read that also. I’m still trying to figure out how they got 250hp out of the B2S. I have a few articles but the HP isn’t listed. It makes me question the early 70’s calcs.

230 HP seems possible... i don't believe 250 HP. My factory new ! 3.5l on triple webers was 210 HP... +10% with better cam and headers must be possible..... but + 20 % ????

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth. I do have an article on the CSL tuner shootout. The red & blue alpina is running mechanical injection and ITB’s with the Alpina airbox as seen from @JamesE30. The stated HP is 250. This car was owned by Burchard B, godfather of Alpina. It seems unreasonable to think that the carbureted B2S was pulling 250 when his special edition was producing the same.

6E217B0B-8E96-4AC3-A225-AD978D3C3719.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Other relevant info, numbers seem realistic but lower than the anecdotal stuff in the ether. Absent is the B2 3.0CS but it seems safe to presume that the HP output was the same as the 3.0S

For those that don’t speak German, the last column is race spec.
2FBB8169-4854-4DB7-BD34-19D14B831516.jpeg

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
The B2s or B3 engines are more race than street engines...

That was the reason why these engines were not really street legal in Germany.

Same for the butterfly injection engine.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They get 240HP from racing M10’s (120HP per liter). So I could see 250HP from a 1/2 race spec 3 liter (only 83hp per liter).

John

Good point, and more importantly I finally made sense of the french article below. The B2S is indeed documented as 250hp, by way of the 83hp per liter calc. Why they didn’t state overall HP anywhere in the article - I don’t know. I was translating as 83 per cylinder which had me totally confused.

HP Reference on the bottom of page 2. @JamesE30 I hope you don’t find this too noisy.

3E018359-8AF6-45C3-AF8D-8EF39E8EA564.jpeg
BC15A574-8650-43A2-A854-64405ACB9D87.jpeg
the

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Yes, we keep it at 6000 rpm..... they go to 7.200 rpm. That will give of course some extra horses..... race engine mods , but for how long ?

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
I have one of these 250 HP ALPINA engines in my car. Engine is original matching number. Terrible starter, but very nice to drive above 2,000 rpm.

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
The engine HP also depending on the brochure. The export brochure have the 250 HP engine listed.

Attachments

• DSC_4994.JPG
    DSC_4994.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 147

JamesE30

Reaction score
What a pain in the ass...

In December I bought a replacement steering column from a forum member in the states and unfortunately it never arrived and is still lost in transit.

2 weeks ago I got lucky and found another one in Germany. It was complete and in good condition with all the bits I needed so I bought it.. well it just arrived and disappointingly it was not packed well. The soft metal housing was packed right up against the hard metal pedal box and pressed into it like a tin can :(

Anyone had luck welding or soldering this pot metal? Hoping I can bend out the dents and repair it.

I wish people would take more care packing things, it’s such needless destruction. Feeling very annoyed!

ECBA0E50-C034-458C-94CA-E7AB246D7810.jpeg
EBCDF4FE-9866-4B76-A165-B63E4A557D69.jpeg
0673B796-820F-43F8-8259-829A73B85533.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh Man! FWIW, I think it is cast aluminum. Should be able to tap it back into shape and TIG it. May be better off procuring another.

JamesE30

Reaction score
Oh Man! FWIW, I think it is cast aluminum. Should be able to tap it back into shape and TIG it. May be better off procuring another.

Hmm.. I have a feeling it’s not just aluminium, it seems so brittle..

My original one is cracked in several places (hence replacing it) maybe I will try TIGing that and see if it works..

Don’t really fancy buying another one. This is already the second replacement I’ve bought and it’s not easy (or cheap) to find telescopic columns in good condition :(