And ??

From closest to furthest,
Hartge Type A 16x7.5 Toyo R888
Azev Type A 16x7.5 Michelin PS
Compomotive TH2 16x7 Snow tires
OEM BBS 15x7 Toyo R888

JamesE30

Reaction score
Last weekend I started to pull apart my steering column to refurbish it.

took me a little while to figure out what those “shear bolts” or “fracture bolts” are but was easy enough to get them out after. A few tangential taps of a centre punch rotated them free.

3278BD49-BCBA-4EF6-A890-468454A0DBDC.jpeg

It is clear that the lock barrel has been removed and probably replaced at some point in the cars life. Presumably a lost key amd someone who doesn’t really know what they’re doing as they have forced quite hard to get the steering lock out and bent the opening of the tube for the steering shaft. There are also some small pieces broken on the housing by the lock barrel.

B18ECD65-E06A-492E-8B8C-73641D6B7608.jpeg
EEED904B-9975-464D-ABAB-17F0D4CF6192.jpeg
E2BB5634-3528-4B04-B47A-E023E6298775.jpeg

the tube and the housing are easy enough to repair, but the key situation really bothered me so I checked out my other locks to se what matches my two keys.

Out of four locks total (ignition, left door, right door, trunk), NONE of them have matching key codes on them.
I have two keys (oem with different codes stamped on them) and the only code match is one of the keys to the trunk lock.

B4B9308B-7368-4F56-A2D0-DB6F72244CFA.jpeg

Key 1 opens ignition and left door.
Key 2 opens right door, left door and trunk. ???
I guess the locks have been repinned or at least attempted to be. It feels like pretty much anything would unlock the left door.. screwdriver toothpick.. etc and aside from the ignition not of the locks feel great..

What are my options for replacing my key/lock set. Is it possible to buy new (late model) lock set?

I see Wallothnesch offers a 4 lock set for 500+€ but with the early model ignition.
I’ve emailed them to ask if they can do a late model set though.

If I buy the early model set is it possible to repin a late model ignition to match the early key?

Happy to hear people’s thoughts on this, thanks!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last weekend I started to pull apart my steering column to refurbish it.

took me a little while to figure out what those “shear bolts” or “fracture bolts” are but was easy enough to get them out after. A few tangential taps of a centre punch rotated them free.

View attachment 106230

It is clear that the lock barrel has been removed and probably replaced at some point in the cars life. Presumably a lost key amd someone who doesn’t really know what they’re doing as they have forced quite hard to get the steering lock out and bent the opening of the tube for the steering shaft. There are also some small pieces broken on the housing by the lock barrel.

View attachment 106255View attachment 106256View attachment 106257

the tube and the housing are easy enough to repair, but the key situation really bothered me so I checked out my other locks to se what matches my two keys.

Out of four locks total (ignition, left door, right door, trunk), NONE of them have matching key codes on them.
I have two keys (oem with different codes stamped on them) and the only code match is one of the keys to the trunk lock.

View attachment 106258

Key 1 opens ignition and left door.
Key 2 opens right door, left door and trunk. ???
I guess the locks have been repinned or at least attempted to be. It feels like pretty much anything would unlock the left door.. screwdriver toothpick.. etc and aside from the ignition not of the locks feel great..

What are my options for replacing my key/lock set. Is it possible to buy new (late model) lock set?

I see Wallothnesch offers a 4 lock set for 500+€ but with the early model ignition.
I’ve emailed them to ask if they can do a late model set though.

If I buy the early model set is it possible to repin a late model ignition to match the early key?

Happy to hear people’s thoughts on this, thanks!

I'm in the middle of this exercise now. After much research , I ended up removing and sending all my locks to Santa Monica Lock & Safe. They will re-index the ignition the doors and the glove box to match the trunk. Apparently the trunk lock mechanism does not take to re indexing as well as the other locks. This approach is way less expensive. You do NOT need to buy new lock sets.

As my car had original pebra keys, I wanted to replicate those so was also able to order the blanks directly from the dealer. I sent those keys off to Santa Monica to have them made to match and tested. I should be getting everything back this week. DM me if you have any specific questions. Happy to help

JamesE30

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of this exercise now. After much research , I ended up removing and sending all my locks to Santa Monica Lock & Safe. They will re-index the ignition the doors and the glove box to match the trunk. Apparently the trunk lock mechanism does not take to re indexing as well as the other locks. This approach is way less expensive. You do NOT need to buy new lock sets.

As my car had original pebra keys, I wanted to replicate those so was also able to order the blanks directly from the dealer. I sent those keys off to Santa Monica to have them made to match and tested. I should be getting everything back this week. DM me if you have any specific questions. Happy to help

Thank you I will certainly shoot you a PM.
My problem is that none of my locks are really in good condition. Both door locks are noticeably damaged externally, show signs of forced entry, and do not operate smoothly any more (or "too" smoothly haha). The trunk and ignition locks are not in great condition either. For this reason I would like to replace with new unless I can find an excellent used set which seems near impossible.
I will definitely look at the locks repinned if I can put a set together.

Cheers!

I have a complete column with key if someone needs it

Telescopic by any chance?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
My problem is that none of my locks are really in good condition. Both door locks are noticeably damaged externally, show signs of forced entry, and do not operate smoothly any more (or "too" smoothly haha). The trunk and ignition locks are not in great condition either

If that's the case and as rare and desirable as your car is, it may just be time to bite the proverbial bullet and get a new set. Someone provided the links to the full set on my post regarding the Pebra keys. I think it was a little over $600. As someone JUST told me yesterday. It's only money... Lol

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Nice project! I think that a car like yours deserves the original color. If it wasn’t an Alpina, I’d say paint it what ever you like. Great work,

Andy the aussie

Reaction score
So far no real bad surprises, most things we found we were already expecting and have already sourced replacement sheet metal for.

View attachment 60020 View attachment 60021

Some nasty repairs uncovered. New sheet metal is awaiting :D

View attachment 60024 View attachment 60023

Right rear sill is toast

View attachment 60022

Left sil has been poorly repaired before

View attachment 60026

Read for sand blasting!
View attachment 60025
I've just done some stalking on your french mate Louis....

there are some tasty cars that go through his place !!!

JamesE30

Reaction score
Another piece of the puzzle at last! Still missing a headrest and have to sort out the rails etc, but at least I have two matching scheel seats now!

It took a little longer than I expected to find a pair but I’m pretty happy with these and think they will look great after a proper restoration.

D53D6174-7FB1-4576-B6E9-D6EFDA2D5893.jpeg

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Long time no update.. car is still in the body shop. Rear metal work is more or less done, currently working on the doors, decided to go for aluminium door skins. last to finish will be the driver side front end. Quite a bit to do still..
The adjustable suspension techniques sway bars finally arrived from ie Motorsport after almost 4 months waiting... they look great though. Looking forward to installing those one day..

View attachment 102276View attachment 102274View attachment 102275
Do those rose joined ARB links come with the ST ARBs, or did you have to order them separately?

JamesE30

Reaction score
Long time no real updates, but there will be some progress soon!

Almost one year after finishing the complete engine rebuild, there was time to have it tuned and started for the first time!

I’m pleased to say that so far everything went perfectly and the engine is running great!

The tuner (Uli from Ital Auto) said the carbs are very sensitive but he has them dialed in now and sounding great! The engine has about 2 hours of running in time so far and will remain at these settings until its completed its run in time in the car. Final tuning will be done on the rolling road.

Super happy to see and hear it, and very pleased that everything went so well! :p

83C5766B-360D-49EE-8133-AF31812B2A6D.jpeg
0381CC16-89AC-40F1-9D71-C2BEB011F110.jpeg
15330F42-42AB-45C1-AD99-6EAE9500C3D8.jpeg
A2E24C0F-957E-43DA-A086-EDE4E9284527.jpeg
AB7DDE40-6004-443C-9D13-AB5B741B47AA.jpeg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Long time no real updates, but there will be some progress soon!

Almost one year after finishing the complete engine rebuild, there was time to have it tuned and started for the first time!

I’m pleased to say that so far everything went perfectly and the engine is running great!

The tuner (Uli from Ital Auto) said the carbs are very sensitive but he has them dialed in now and sounding great! The engine has about 2 hours of running in time so far and will remain at these settings until its completed its run in time in the car. Final tuning will be done on the rolling road.

Super happy to see and hear it, and very pleased that everything went so well! :p

View attachment 116855View attachment 116854View attachment 116857View attachment 116856View attachment 116858

What kind of performance did you achieve?