My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not aware of went on but am happy it is resolved.

May I take umbrage at settling for a 635.........I prefer to look at my E9 and E24 as different children with the same parent, I love them equally for each of their unique traits.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am more than happy to refrain from posting or for that matter not post all together if that is what is preferred. I did not realize that there was any sort of guidelines on this.
no worries Scott ... i didn't keep up with all of your thread, that was my choice ... but having there is a great thing for many people. no need to apologize or refrain from posting. really glad that you + Benny sorted things out and all is good. i do share your disappointment that somebody got in your business with him ... not terribly cool.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am more than happy to refrain from posting or for that matter not post all together if that is what is preferred. I did not realize that there was any sort of guidelines on this.

Another way for me to say it is that if you try not to be so wordy I think more people would read what you have to say. It's just a personal thing that some people write a lot, others do it too on forums all over the internet, but my personal experience tells me that when a post gets past a certain length you lose the audience. IE: If someone saw your mega thread with 75 pages they might, at best, skim through 25% of it trying to pick out something interesting to them. You will also get a small percentage that read every word and watch every video. Just bringing up something you probably already know...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Another way for me to say it is that if you try not to be so wordy I think more people would read what you have to say. It's just a personal thing that some people write a lot, others do it too on forums all over the internet, but my personal experience tells me that when a post gets past a certain length you lose the audience. IE: If someone saw your mega thread with 75 pages they might, at best, skim through 25% of it trying to pick out something interesting to them. You will also get a small percentage that read every word and watch every video. Just bringing up something you probably already know...

Thanks for the advice. Most of my posts, not all, are fairly short accompanied by a LONG mostly boring video. The initial post here was long as I felt I had a lot to say in light of the way the last thread ended abruptly. I will do my best to avoid lengthy posts, or long threads, although it appears based upon the views on my last thread, it was quite popular, but agreed that upon reflection it could have been much shorter. I felt compelled to respond to everyone who offered advice etc. even if just to thank them.

If people don't want to follow, or find my posts too wordy, I recommend that they simply don't subscribe. In any event, I will do my best to improve my writing style and frequency. I am a wordy guy. I get it.

My car won't be "done" until Friday, so not sure there will be many posts between now and then from me. Once the car is "Done," should I use this thread to continue it even if the "restoration" is done, or find other threads, e.g. what did you do with your coupe today, etc.? Otherwise, I can bore my Facebook friends with my e9 content and invite you guys to come over there.

Thanks again for your input.

Scott

PS on the e9 vs. e24 "debate," i love them both but love the e9 much more

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very few old cars are ever done. I predict yours will continue to evolve. Best that way.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Most of my posts, not all, are fairly short accompanied by a LONG mostly boring video. The initial post here was long as I felt I had a lot to say in light of the way the last thread ended abruptly. I will do my best to avoid lengthy posts, or long threads, although it appears based upon the views on my last thread, it was quite popular, but agreed that upon reflection it could have been much shorter. I felt compelled to respond to everyone who offered advice etc. even if just to thank them.

If people don't want to follow, or find my posts too wordy, I recommend that they simply don't subscribe. In any event, I will do my best to improve my writing style and frequency. I am a wordy guy. I get it.

My car won't be "done" until Friday, so not sure there will be many posts between now and then from me. Once the car is "Done," should I use this thread to continue it even if the "restoration" is done, or find other threads, e.g. what did you do with your coupe today, etc.? Otherwise, I can bore my Facebook friends with my e9 content and invite you guys to come over there.

Thanks again for your input.

Scott

PS on the e9 vs. e24 "debate," i love them both but love the e9 much more

As to wordiness, when my son was in high school I recall his distress at being assigned to write a 500 word essay. He thought that was way too much to have to write. I replied "it takes me 500 words to say hello."

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very few old cars are ever done. I predict yours will continue to evolve. Best that way.
I am learning.... I like everything "done," but learning that with classic cars that is not the case. In my case, I was hoping for exterior to be DONE subject only to getting clear coat once Benny finishes, then at a later date, I can focus on interior bits/pieces, etc., then look a bit at the engine and trunk, but not anytime soon. I like to finish things if possible and do so quickly if they can be done quickly. In business and life, it seems often that the more time it takes to do something the less efficient it is to do. I'd rather put a man or two or more on a job until it is done full time, instead of touching it a few hours daily with many interruptions. This process has served me well in business, but with car restorations, especially when not in my control, seems that it is not feasible always. But I get it.

Scott

PS: i am stressed about answering every post for fear of this thread getting too long, but don't want to be rude by not responding to comments when a response is appropriate or courteous. I am 24 hours in on this thread, and on same pace as before. I am an over-communicator.... sorry

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd rather put a man or two or more on a job until it is done full time, instead of touching it a few hours daily with many interruptions. This process has served me well in business, but with car restorations, especially when not in my control, seems that it is not feasible always.

In IT project work where subject matter expertise and historical context is often critical, this comes up often. Throwing heads at a problem rarely fixes things. I like to tell my customers who don't understand this concept that "You can't have a baby in one month with nine mothers."

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
PS: i am stressed about answering every post for fear of this thread getting too long

Sorry Scott, I shouldn't have said anything. This forum is suppose to be a place that people want to spend time on and literally make new friends. Don't worry about posting...

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
In IT project work where subject matter expertise and historical context is often critical, this comes up often. Throwing heads at a problem rarely fixes things. I like to tell my customers who don't understand this concept that "You can't have a baby in one month with nine mothers."

I get it but.... when we implemented an ERP system for www.scottevest.com, we were told it would take 6-8 months to do it. So, we allocated that much time to do it, but the bonehead in our company that was responsible for doing it, wouldn't engage consultants to do and instead waited until month 6 to start doing it himself, and made a complete mess of things. Funny aside: the only reason we thought we needed to move to a new system was it was operating slowly. We spent over $700k on new Netsuite system, only to later discover the problem with speed related to not having enough RAM. We bought a $125 chip, and all was fine. Ultimately, we reverted back to our original system. We were told it would take MONTHS to revert back as it encompasses the same amount of work as a new install, but we did it within 3 weeks by putting smart people with knowledge on it. See https://www.miva.com/pdf/Miva%20Case%20Study_SCOTTEVEST_Netsuite.pdf

Same for our house. We were told it needed to take at least 2 years to build our house, but with focus and the right team it was DONE in 11 months, start to finish. But your point is well taken.

Personally, I know that I can do things better/faster if I focus on getting it done and moving on to the next thing.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I get it but.... when we implemented an ERP system for www.scottevest.com, we were told it would take 6-8 months to do it. So, we allocated that much time to do it, but the bonehead in our company that was responsible for doing it, wouldn't engage consultants to do and instead waited until month 6 to start doing it himself, and made a complete mess of things. Funny aside: the only reason we thought we needed to move to a new system was it was operating slowly. We spent over $700k on new Netsuite system, only to later discover the problem with speed related to not having enough RAM. We bought a $125 chip, and all was fine. Ultimately, we reverted back to our original system. We were told it would take MONTHS to revert back as it encompasses the same amount of work as a new install, but we did it within 3 weeks by putting smart people with knowledge on it. See https://www.miva.com/pdf/Miva Case Study_SCOTTEVEST_Netsuite.pdf

Too much to be said about this one in a car thread. Something something poor project managment, poor triage and alysis of existing system...

Same for our house. We were told it needed to take at least 2 years to build our house, but with focus and the right team it was DONE in 11 months, start to finish. But your point is well taken.

Personally, I know that I can do things better/faster if I focus on getting it done and moving on to the next thing.

My quote doesn't apply to new construction. The quote is really geared towards throwing heads at an existing problem/project. Obviously it doesn't apply to all projects. I have successfully added resources countless projects.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Too much to be said about this one in a car thread. Something something poor project managment, poor triage and alysis of existing system...

My quote doesn't apply to new construction. The quote is really geared towards throwing heads at an existing problem/project. Obviously it doesn't apply to all projects. I have successfully added resources countless projects.
Arguing by analogy usually does not work. The only thing to compare the restoration of a rusty coupe to is a rusty Porsche. And even that analogy has flaws.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm not sure classic car restoration is particularly conducive to efficient project management. Then again, I do my own work so managing my customer's expectations is relatively easy.

While I try to set milestones, I am painfully aware of the multitude of things that can demolish my schedule. Parts acquisition cannot be precisely timed, particularly with used parts. Some projects require special tools that must either be purchased or fabricated. And things often do not go as planned -- you find a prior mechanic has installed a non-standard part or you break something unexpectedly. I am careful too about how much to push myself. And sometimes the weather comes into play -- last month I lost a week of carburetor tuning tests because it rained for a week.

And you end up redoing things that have already been done. By way of example, last night I installed a Coupe King 5 speed tranny bracket. I had already installed a BMW bracket, but the aluminum bracket was not designed for our cars and had to be bolted in place very close to the opening in the track under the car for the nuts to be installed. Without going into too much detail, I believe the newer part to be so superior to what I had that I redid work that had been done three years ago. Unfortunately, if you continue to look at parts that become available, you often find parts that are superior to what you have on your car and this cycle continues. You end up buying these and selling the parts you take off.

Moreover, as you look at other cars you find ideas that others have implemented.

It never ends, but my customer is happy.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've tried to simplify my own project management the same as when I deal with vendors I'm working with. You can talk about a schedule, the scope, due dates and all, but all I really look for is continued progress. I go into personal projects knowing that they might take "X" amount of hours to complete, but instead of trying to figure out when I'll be done I push myself to chip away at the total number of hours, no matter how little the chip is. With vendors I feel it's more important to keep in contact and ask for updates (that can be verified) than it does to ask if they're on schedule. This keeps everyone thinking about it and has a much better chance of getting finished.

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry Scott, I shouldn't have said anything. This forum is suppose to be a place that people want to spend time on and literally make new friends. Don't worry about posting...

Seriously, if it’s too long for you, don’t read it. Why call somebody out for trying to share their experience with a car we’re all supposed to love?

Peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seriously, if it’s too long for you, don’t read it. Why call somebody out for trying to share their experience with a car we’re all supposed to love?

Because the thread got out of hand and I moderate the threads. If I have to do any kind of reprimanding, editing or even banning from the site I need to know the whole story and take an unbiased view. Anything less would be an uninformed snap decision which in the end would make things worse. We've had long long threads from day one, most just live their life for a while and fade away, some stay alive for a long time, most are not a problem. I've been administrating/moderating this forum for 15 years and have seen it all so all I can do is suggest what works and what doesn't. In 15 years I think we've banned two users. That's a pretty good group if you ask me, I'm very appreciative of who uses this forum and how seldom we have problems.

dpdapper

Site Donor
Reaction score
Because the thread got out of hand

Well, while I certainly appreciate your efforts (I get it: it’s a thankless job), I didn’t realize oversharing, or making mistakes during a resto project, were against the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, while I certainly appreciate your efforts (I get it: it’s a thankless job), I didn’t realize oversharing, or making mistakes during a resto project, were against the rules.

I typically start a private conversation at this point but I'll end my comments with... this had nothing to do with making mistakes during a resto project or oversharing and I'm not going to explain why it wasn't. You can go back and read the last 10% of the thread while understanding that that's not the only information shared or talked about at the time. There's a lot more to every story. In this case it was a simple fix... lock a thread and most of the tension dies down, especially since all of those involved are good people and will figure it out.

TodB

Reaction score
I've typed out a response to this thread and the prior 75 page debacle and deleted it 10 times. Stay away I say. I should just walk away but this quote irks me.

The original poster clearly likes (and seeks) attention given the level of detail and length in each and every post along with the videos. Its a personal style thing I guess. Bottom line, and despite suggestions to the contrary, the OP went with a shop that was clearly going to be over their heads. Hard lesson learned.

I'm for free speech and all, but dear God, there's a limit sometimes and that 75 page post hit that limit. The thread and some of the responses certainly were starting to get testy and becoming unproductive. Cheers to Dan for locking it and providing some fatherly advice to the OP. It had run its course. To my (failing) memory, this was the first thread that was locked on this site and I think it was the correct decision. It was time for the board to move on. Hardly a trend.

I thought we were out of the woods when the OP said he was going to take a break. Perhaps, upon reflection, he was going to step back and take a breath. Shocker when he turns up only hours later and started another thread. Lesson not learned. See personal style thing above.

This board was founded after the E9 Roadfly admins continued their shenanigans (they did the same on the E28 board) and were deleting posts amongst other things. For the most part, members here are very welcoming and helpful to each other especially new members. I've met some terrific people on this board and even car vacationed with some of you. I have no doubt it will continue that way.

All my opinion of course. I mean no ill will towards Scott. I'm hoping his car will turn out OK and to his expectation. He clearly adores his car as we all do ours. Black paint is tough!

Good evening.

Last edited: