My Baby is done... Thanks for all your help!!!!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've typed out a response to this thread and the prior 75 page debacle and deleted it 10 times. Stay away I say. I should just walk away but this quote irks me.

The original poster clearly likes (and seeks) attention given the level of detail and length in each and every post along with the videos. Its a personal style thing I guess. Bottom line, and despite suggestions to the contrary, the OP went with a shop that was clearly going to be over their heads. Hard lesson learned.

I'm for free speech and all, but dear God, there's a limit sometimes and that 75 page post hit that limit. The thread and some of the responses certainly were starting to get testy and becoming unproductive. Cheers to Dan for locking it and providing some fatherly advice to the OP. It had run its course. To my (failing) memory, this was the first thread that was locked on this site and I think it was the correct decision. It was time for the board to move on. Hardly a trend.

I thought we were out of the woods when the OP said he was going to take a break. Perhaps, upon reflection, he was going to step back and take a breath. Shocker when he turns up only hours later and started another thread. Lesson not learned. See personal style thing above.

This board was founded after the E9 Roadfly admins continued their shenanigans (they did the same on the E28 board) and were deleting posts amongst other things. For the most part, members here are very welcoming and helpful to each other especially new members. I've met some terrific people on this board and even car vacationed with some of you. I have no doubt it will continue that way.

All my opinion of course. I mean no ill will towards Scott. I'm hoping his car will turn out OK and to his expectation. He clearly adores his car as we all do ours. Black paint is tough!

Good evening.
With all due respect, please do not hijack my thread. The topic you are discussing has nothing to do with my vehicle but has to do with my personality and the forum rules. If you would like to discuss that topic, please either private message me if it has to do with my personality which you do not understand or start a new thread on forum rules. This thread is about my car and my restoration project not your judgment of who I am and why I post. Thank you very much.

Goodbye and do not bother reading this thread if it disturbs you or if you are going to be judgemental. Thank you

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
For whatever it is worth, I remain very optimistic that Benny will deliver an incredibly beautiful vehicle worth every penny that I have paid him and worthy of drool from any car guy including picky BMW E9 fans. Unlike others who have concluded that Benny is way over his head on this project, I do not subscribe to that opinion at all. I think Benny is capable of incredible work and will deliver same next Friday when I pick up the car.

Time will tell but that is what I believe. Personally, I have not seen anything that special about these cars that a skilled restoration person cannot handle with the help of knowledgeable people like all of you. Just saying… Pictures and video will follow.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Goodbye and do not bother reading this thread if it disturbs you or if you are going to be judgemental. Thank you

giphy.gif

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a tough conversation. Where to start is really the biggest challenge. I own a repair shop and have dealt with all sorts of egos, customers and employees. I can tell you from firsthand experience that cameras and improptue videos are typically not welcomed. Also manic micromanagement leaves a lot to be desired.

I’ve dealt with Scott’s personality. This is not really about the car, it’s more about him and the attention he craves. Pedestal stuff which is why he continues even though he has chosen to seek hiatus. He’s back and still talking about himself. Now it’s gone negative and he wants to blame everyone but himself. He takes pride in the 75 pages and makes a point of telling us how much attention his thread has received. He fails to recognize that his follies are what keeps us coming back. Case in point, he had to start this thread. More needed attention. This is all fun but where does that leave scott and his enthusiasm for the e9.

Scott, drop the camera, abandon the keyboard. If you truely are a car enthusiast then try to make this all work without trying to spin the playground out of control. Vendors are tired of you. People are exhausted. The great Carl Nelson doesn’t seem to want to deal with you. Slow down, regroup, and make this about the car and the passion of owning an e9. Leave the poodles to the professionals.

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding brevity in posting. I 'm reminded of some fairly famous people - who are referenced as writing something like the following phrase:

"I'd have written you a short letter, but I didn't have time".

Meaning, of course, that I'll write a long letter quickly, so it will consume your time in reading it rather than spend my time writing a brief but informative letter which will save your time. But I'd have needed to spend more of my time writing/editing it.

Gary--

PS: Writing reports for management in the employment of a major corporation required me to learn brevity. That guidance could never be attributed to any of my teachers/professors in academia.

Last edited:

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
With all due respect, please do not hijack my thread. The topic you are discussing has nothing to do with my vehicle but has to do with my personality and the forum rules. If you would like to discuss that topic, please either private message me if it has to do with my personality which you do not understand or start a new thread on forum rules. This thread is about my car and my restoration project not your judgment of who I am and why I post. Thank you very much.

images

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Scott, I recommend starting a new thread under Projects and Restoration of any updates on your E9 that Benny and/or ??? is doing on your lovely E9!

This thread also has run its course me thinks.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I learned alot from Scott's experience and the thread. He's generally a positive fellow, and it probably takes his type of uninhibited energy to document this in a way schlubs, like me, can see what to do. Having the forum members dissect his questions (large and small) with video brought forth a wealth of valuable information.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I learned alot from Scott's experience and the thread. He's generally a positive fellow, and it probably takes his type of uninhibited energy to document this in a way schlubs, like me, can see what to do. Having the forum members dissect his questions (large and small) with video brought forth a wealth of valuable information.

I consider myself a technical guy and I learned quite a bit also. Just off the top of my head:

Sunroof drain routing
Fisheyes in paint
Bumper Conversion
Rubber seal availability
Windshield install tools and issues

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Benny is doing a great job bringing things to completion, but hit a snag and asked me specifically to reach out to the forum for help. The clips on the door trim shown below was rusted and unusable. I understand it NLA, and told him as such. He was going to try to fabricate some pieces but is hoping that someone can advise us on where we can get something to hold these in place. Any thoughts are appreciated. I will post this on Parts section too.

Screenshot 2018-07-26 09.34.06.png

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Benny is doing a great job bringing things to completion, but hit a snag and asked me specifically to reach out to the forum for help. The clips on the door trim shown below was rusted and unusable. I understand it NLA, and told him as such. He was going to try to fabricate some pieces but is hoping that someone can advise us on where we can get something to hold these in place. Any thoughts are appreciated. I will post this on Parts section too.

View attachment 49688

I just talked to Carl Nelson. He's got these and sending them out. Thanks.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by a moderator:

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think the chrome trim is slightly bowed up on the right end from not being removed carefully. The other end near the vent window tends to be a tighter fit and if they just yanked the chrome trim off the door by pulling up mostly on the right side it can bend the trim piece.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think the chrome trim is slightly bowed up on the right end from not being removed carefully. The other end near the vent window tends to be a tighter fit and if they just yanked the chrome trim off the door by pulling up mostly on the right side it can bend the trim piece.
Thanks. I passed this on to Benny for his information. Are these trim pieces available if I need to replace?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
No, you will need to find used ones and have them rechromed. I have a set if it comes to that.
Thank you. Based upon what you seen in my pictures do you think that mine are salvageable or should I buy replacements? How much for yours? Thanks for all your help. You have been very supportive throughout the entire process

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you. Based upon what you seen in my pictures do you think that mine are salvageable or should I buy replacements? How much for yours? Thanks for all your help. You have been very supportive throughout the entire process

Thanks! Honestly I don’t think it is bent. However, if it is bent, I see no reason why one couldn’t bend it straight again. It is made of steel. I’d have to research pricing. I wasn’t intending on selling them so I haven’t looked into it.

If you remove the trim and set it on a flat table you should be able to tell pretty quickly if it is bent.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
However, if it is bent, I see no reason why one couldn’t bend it straight again.

This is what I was thinking also. Hard to tell in the photo but if it's bent it isn't bent much. Probably straighter than the one on my car! ;)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Based upon what you seen in my pictures do you think that mine are salvageable or should I buy replacements?
My guess is they have a slight bend/splay in them from the removal process. No kinks or twists appear to be visible in the pics - it is pretty gentle. If bent slightly, they should be easily worked back to straight. I am sure Benny and crew have a set of plastic trim pry tools to gently re-remove, and presume the finesse to straighten.