My Malaga S54 E9

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
@Candia4441 - I wanted to know, why you went out and bought all these project e9s that you dumped lots of money into with what appears to be no intention of ever owning them long term? Seems like a great way to waste money to just get project car headaches and big bills without the pleasure of actualy owning or driving them? And you are doing it with multiple cars not just one? I'm not trying to be difficult, I honestly want to know what you were hoping to get out of it?

Did you think you were going to make a profit without doing any of the work yourself or having the deep e9 knowledge required to at a minimum manage one of these special builds yourself? Again, I'm just super curious why you wouldn't just spend your money and time and effort getting a single car to a high level and using it as intended.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Candia4441 - I wanted to know, why you went out and bought all these project e9s that you dumped lots of money into with what appears to be no intention of ever owning them long term? Seems like a great way to waste money to just get project car headaches and big bills without the pleasure of actualy owning or driving them? And you are doing it with multiple cars not just one? I'm not trying to be difficult, I honestly want to know what you were hoping to get out of it?

Did you think you were going to make a profit without doing any of the work yourself or having the deep e9 knowledge required to at a minimum manage one of these special builds yourself? Again, I'm just super curious why you wouldn't just spend your money and time and effort getting a single car to a high level and using it as intended.
IMHO understanding why people do what they do is a really hard thing, and I suspect directly asking them is of little help.
Sometimes I cannot even answer that about myself...
The "journey is the reward" is one of the slogans I hope I never get again :)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMHO understanding why people do what they do is a really hard thing, and I suspect directly asking them is of little help.
So true. Especially when it comes to automobiles...and double that when it comes to collectable automobiles. There is no right or wrong way to enjoy the hobby. If you are having fun doing it the way you are doing it...you are doing it correctly. :)

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Hello, it is a good questions, I didn't do for a profit that's for sure, I wanted a E9 like one I use to have back in 1980 I got the first one that was Malaga engine was working very rough and everything needed attention like under the car was all the joint was to very old, I took it to mechanic and I told him what to do, and now that fast car is not for me and in meantime I have a friend he got two E9 one was blue look like my old one without thinking I took the car, without knowing that's 2800cs that is that blue one next on sale, that have complete paint job brand new engine and under the car all the joints are new, interior is original and it is very solid and dash is original there is no crack, But I do not like it, engine is not a fuel injector I have 3 new Weber deco 40 and that have lots of noise, and finally I got 2 E9 along with 2002tii all together with the reasonable price I sold one E9 without touching and I kept the Inka Orange my body shop guy told me that's a solid car with no rust and no accident, when you put on the front grill you know that car is as original as first day, it fits right in there is no gap around it and all wiring is there and there is no wire hanging around and I learn a lot from this forum how to take care of wiring and all the widows and glass seals, that's the one I will keep for me, that car can be like brand new car, when I completed I can drive for years without touching the car in daily base and to be honest I didn't know the parts is to hard to fine and are price, and was fun at first but it gets out of hand and I got lots of money on it.
I am in Construction business with the same amount of time that I spend in my business I can make 4 time more why do I get in to the car bossiness that was just for fun but it is not fun any more like I said it is out of my hand with this S54, only thing I do give more business to this mechanic shop and body shop, it has to stop. now do you believe now or you think I am crazy
and I forgot the Alfa Romeo

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230620-223907.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230620-223907.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20230620_184352.jpg
    20230620_184352.jpg
    819 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230615_163207.jpg
    20230615_163207.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230615_163301.jpg
    20230615_163301.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
If your 2002 were ever for sale, I'd be happy to connect you to a buyer who's been searching for a roundie in Malaga for several years.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If your 2002 were ever for sale, I'd be happy to connect you to a buyer who's been searching for a roundie in Malaga for several years.
I am saling after my 2800cs this 2002tii will be on BAT if your buyer wants I can save time and have him come my home and check it out it is fully restored new paint new engine and interior is redone and more impotent under the car is all new new brake and brand new wheels and tire how much he want to spend.

Attachments

• 20230615_162953.jpg
    20230615_162953.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 70

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Curious why are you selling this e9 and keeping your others?

Sounds like this Malaga is the funnest to drive
now check my car this how I test the car it is very good drifting car with 400HP and 1400 pound lighter than M3 car is flying all it needs 2wing to fly and deferential is very good one I thing it is for raising, it came from all the E9 parts that I win from BAT at first I had LSD from my friend and didn't really match but this one just maid for this car.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
now check my car this how I test the car it is very good drifting car with 400HP and 1400 pound lighter than M3 car is flying all it needs 2wing to fly and deferential is very good one I thing it is for raising, it came from all the E9 parts that I win from BAT at first I had LSD from my friend and didn't really match but this one just maid for this car.

400hp? Dyno sheet?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
... with 400HP and 1400 pound lighter than M3 car is flying...
Albert, I think I'd advertise it as stock 333hp and a lighter car. Even at 333hp (262 torque) the chassis should probably be re-enforced because of the pillar-less design. Even the E46 chassis had stress crack issues in the rear subframe area. Like Mark said, you'll need a dyno report to prove 400hp.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
400hp? Dyno sheet?
BMW manufactory said 343 HP figure out with no catalytic converter that is 50HP and there is no cooling fan and exhaust header and there is no restriction on computer setup, and car is about 12 to 1400 pound is lighter than M3, with close ratio gear box and LSD rear end the car is really quick, I couldn't red line this baby is to powerful for me, you know car and engine you are a car guy put it together, maybe it is not exactly 400 little less or more it is around that range, even 350 believe me it is to much for this car or maybe it is to much for me.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Albert, I think I'd advertise it as stock 333hp and a lighter car. Even at 333hp (262 torque) the chassis should probably be re-enforced because of the pillar-less design. Even the E46 chassis had stress crack issues in the rear subframe area. Like Mark said, you'll need a dyno report to prove 400hp.
Hello, I am not trying to prove anything, I you know maybe I take it to dyno it is even better BAT bidder are asking for I see if I will have time tomorrow I will take it and 333 is for US paperwork but German know this engine is 343HP checck this magazine that the right about my car I ask the guy why it is 343 that's not right, he told me that's for US not for us. just check this well known Bimmertoday magazine.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello, I am not trying to prove anything, I you know maybe I take it to dyno it is even better BAT bidder are asking for I see if I will have time tomorrow I will take it and 333 is for US paperwork but German know this engine is 343HP check this magazine that the right about my car I ask the guy why it is 343 that's not right, he told me that's for US not for us. just check this well known Bimmertoday magazine.

Hi again, defiantly need to be reinforce, and has to be a good car guy to know what to do, need to be reinforce and keep the original way if next guy try to put back all original engine and other thing, that's for new owner I got tired of spending money on this baby, but it is really fun to drive, you don't feel that is 50 plus years old car you are driving.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

NICE on the driving VID. I hope you scared the Cr$p out of the "homeless" guy sleeping in his RV there...MOAR driving VIDS like that! Light it up!

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
NICE on the driving VID. I hope you scared the Cr$p out of the "homeless" guy sleeping in his RV there...MOAR driving VIDS like that! Light it up!
after my auction if I post more video like that no one will buy my car they will say I abuse the car, am I right?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A dyno run would be very useful because the profile of power vs. RPM matters to drivability.
Fun car.

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think everyone wants you to succeed. I certainly am not hoping to see you fail. I don't think excuses about how difficult an engine swap is or that you're not a mechanic are legitimate. Fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people that bid on cars because they look cool but when it comes to the details, they don't know what they're looking at. I'm sorry to say that when it comes to builds like this, it's all in the details. Having a plan is critical and even then, things will come up, but how you deal with the details is critical. It is good that despite the deficiencies, you were very forthcoming with the photographs and that's great, but it's also important that potential buyers are aware of the issues with a car like this, as I'm sure you would prefer the (hopefully) winning bidder to know what he or she is buying and not to have to deal with the fallout of disappointment on the other end of the deal. I understand there are questions you can't answer or didn't realize would be questions.

There are lots of little issues that can certainly be addressed by the next owner, but the best path forward in keeping an S54 in this car is to really start over. The motor can certainly sit further back, the motor mounts are upside down and crooked, poorly supported, the M30 motor mount brackets aren't ideal, just as using the stock subframe engine mount locations (really, where the locating pin goes). The tabs that shift the anti-roll bar forward are now the anti-roll bar. You can hook up a 30mm bar and it will have no greater effect than those tabs can allow. The steering linkage with the bent drag link. I have nothing for that. The transmission is a Getrag G250, which fails regularly behind the 2.5L M5x-powered cars they were supplied with. I can't imagine how long that will last behind an S54. It's certainly cute and can fit in your pocket, but its not a strong one. On top of that you're limited with small clutches. The crossmember is putting a lot of weird pressure on the transmission mounts. Add to that the small guibo, that's a fuse that will keep blowing. Also, crucially, the diff mount - a known weak point in these chassis - hasn't been reinforced. I don't know why so much trouble was had with the fuel filter/regulator placement. The white S54 car had it above the right rear axle. Much safer there, much less vulnerable. Surely, it's more plumbing. With some noodling and a complete rethink of the exhaust, the car will make a good deal more power than it does currently. Right now, it's being strangled just looking at how the header "collectors" are routed and the pipe sizes and the multiple 90º bends. I don't think you'll like the results on a dyno.

I think there are some positive aspects definitely. Lots of custom touches like with the gauges, the interior is quite nicely done. Its a huge improvement over the previous listing. The seatbelts seem incredibly dangerous with those bolts (are the belts from an E24?), but other than that, it's probably the best part of the car.

I could nitpick on a lot of things, but guess what? You can nitpick every car. Nothing is perfect. You know the car isn't perfect. That's fine. There are some fundamental issues with the engine swap and they're not easily corrected. I am not trying to be mean or piling on, this is just what I and others are seeing. I'm putting this here on the forum and not on BaT. I certainly wouldn't go around saying the car has 400hp. I don't see that ending well. I wish you and the car luck in finding an owner that is willing to make the commitment to improving what you started.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’d like to add my .02 here.

I‘ve been to Alberts house, seen his cars, done business with him.
Absolutely amazing person- great experience.
Wouldn't hesitate to do business again.

All that said- the “I’m going to stuff a badass engine in a 50 year old car”
idea is a poor idea for many people. There are few fabrication shops that have the ability to take on the complete project and finish it. Coupe King in SoCal is doing one, John Ward at Bespoke in Oz just finished one and now doing another and they are capable. John’s last car is on Top Gear and he figures it was 700 hours of labor - and then add in the parts, interior, paint. Figure $225K plus,plus.

Our shop has one of these Dream cars parked right outside my office window.
Six years so far in a Los Angeles shop never getting finished. Previous shop never discussed the total cost of a complete restoration with the owner. That shop lured the owner in with an initial offer of work for $25K. Now the owner has handed it to us.
There is going to be a tough Come to Jesus conversation next week that involves managing expectations.
Look before you leap.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think everyone wants you to succeed. I certainly am not hoping to see you fail. I don't think excuses about how difficult an engine swap is or that you're not a mechanic are legitimate. Fact of the matter is that there are a lot of people that bid on cars because they look cool but when it comes to the details, they don't know what they're looking at. I'm sorry to say that when it comes to builds like this, it's all in the details. Having a plan is critical and even then, things will come up, but how you deal with the details is critical. It is good that despite the deficiencies, you were very forthcoming with the photographs and that's great, but it's also important that potential buyers are aware of the issues with a car like this, as I'm sure you would prefer the (hopefully) winning bidder to know what he or she is buying and not to have to deal with the fallout of disappointment on the other end of the deal. I understand there are questions you can't answer or didn't realize would be questions.

There are lots of little issues that can certainly be addressed by the next owner, but the best path forward in keeping an S54 in this car is to really start over. The motor can certainly sit further back, the motor mounts are upside down and crooked, poorly supported, the M30 motor mount brackets aren't ideal, just as using the stock subframe engine mount locations (really, where the locating pin goes). The tabs that shift the anti-roll bar forward are now the anti-roll bar. You can hook up a 30mm bar and it will have no greater effect than those tabs can allow. The steering linkage with the bent drag link. I have nothing for that. The transmission is a Getrag G250, which fails regularly behind the 2.5L M5x-powered cars they were supplied with. I can't imagine how long that will last behind an S54. It's certainly cute and can fit in your pocket, but its not a strong one. On top of that you're limited with small clutches. The crossmember is putting a lot of weird pressure on the transmission mounts. Add to that the small guibo, that's a fuse that will keep blowing. Also, crucially, the diff mount - a known weak point in these chassis - hasn't been reinforced. I don't know why so much trouble was had with the fuel filter/regulator placement. The white S54 car had it above the right rear axle. Much safer there, much less vulnerable. Surely, it's more plumbing. With some noodling and a complete rethink of the exhaust, the car will make a good deal more power than it does currently. Right now, it's being strangled just looking at how the header "collectors" are routed and the pipe sizes and the multiple 90º bends. I don't think you'll like the results on a dyno.

I think there are some positive aspects definitely. Lots of custom touches like with the gauges, the interior is quite nicely done. Its a huge improvement over the previous listing. The seatbelts seem incredibly dangerous with those bolts (are the belts from an E24?), but other than that, it's probably the best part of the car.

I could nitpick on a lot of things, but guess what? You can nitpick every car. Nothing is perfect. You know the car isn't perfect. That's fine. There are some fundamental issues with the engine swap and they're not easily corrected. I am not trying to be mean or piling on, this is just what I and others are seeing. I'm putting this here on the forum and not on BaT. I certainly wouldn't go around saying the car has 400hp. I don't see that ending well. I wish you and the car luck in finding an owner that is willing to make the commitment to improving what you started.
Hello My friend, Probably you are right I am not denying that this car is not perfect but if I knew as much as you know I never would do this swap with this work up to this point it was hell for me since I don't know about car much, however at this point when I drive this car it drives nice and it is fun to drive I don't see or feel any funny thing when I drive this car I don't know what I should expect from it, I am not planning to race with it, I drive this car up to 110 mile and it was nice and smoot with no problem, but I wish I had your knowledge things would go much smoother and would be much better if you live in Los Angeles any time you work on your car I like to come and help you with it maybe I can learn from you.