My Malaga S54 E9

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
S38 would have been probably easier.

I love the car! Hope it gets top dollar and new owner can take the reins and get it 100% sorted (e.g. the AC).

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’d like to add my .02 here.

I‘ve been to Alberts house, seen his cars, done business with him.
Absolutely amazing person- great experience.
Wouldn't hesitate to do business again.

All that said- the “I’m going to stuff a badass engine in a 50 year old car”
idea is a poor idea for many people. There are few fabrication shops that have the ability to take on the complete project and finish it. Coupe King in SoCal is doing one, John Ward at Bespoke in Oz just finished one and now doing another and they are capable. John’s last car is on Top Gear and he figures it was 700 hours of labor - and then add in the parts, interior, paint. Figure $225K plus,plus.

Our shop has one of these Dream cars parked right outside my office window.
Six years so far in a Los Angeles shop never getting finished. Previous shop never discussed the total cost of a complete restoration with the owner. That shop lured the owner in with an initial offer of work for $25K. Now the owner has handed it to us.
There is going to be a tough Come to Jesus conversation next week that involves managing expectations.
Look before you leap.
Hi Don, thank you for comment about me I also think you are amazing person, however I spend most of the money on this car but I am nut expecting to recover the money, to be honest I got tired of working on it, and I am cutting time from my business and spending time on this specials car, the next person buying this car can take it to the next level with spending sume, you are in car business for you will be easy to spend time on car but my business is construction it is very hard to cut time from my business and spend time on this type of project, it was big mistake from beginning to start this swap, and that wasn't my idea, this project was very good for the guy that he work on it, he makes very good money on this, and I don't want to take it back to him and pay him more and have him to work on it I rather sale less than spend on mechanic, I really do not want to make money on this car, I have set my mined for how much I want if it bids less I will let it go. and now I will sale all the cars I have I will only keep one like everyone else. thank you all
one thing that I don't know why every one are interested to talk about my car it is kind of good that I learn a lot from all this guys, next time I will not make such a mistake, on my Inka Orange I am setting simple engine that will work easy on the 50 plus years old car and enjoy cruising around no need to attract people.

Last edited:

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Candia - nobody likes losing money, nobody...I have been around BMW's since I was a baby (parents always had one, starting with a '72 Bavaria). I bought an '02 as one of my first cars ('76 Golf 2002) and have had many, many over the years that I buy, work on them a bit (mainly have mechanics work on them to be very honest) but do what I can on my own and keep learning with friends. I am now 52 years old. The car "hobby" is where I have met most of my lifelong friends (BMW aficionados like everyone on this site).

Looking back at all the cars I have "fixed up" to my standards (meaning mainly presentable "drivers," cars focused on suspension and handling first and foremost), I can honestly say I broke even at BEST on ALL of them, with the exception of my 911 Porsche (and that was just dumb luck and timing). Backing out the commision etc. I still didn't "kill it" on the sale.

Point being was what I mentioned above, for most of us this should be looked at as a "hobby." Your business is in construction. Make your money there, win some, lose some on the cars, look at it as a "hobby." Learn and enjoy the experiences you have along the way (good and bad) and keep enjoying the hobby. Don't let one car get to you.

You are at the point where you realize you are in over your head and basically would be throwing good money after bad. My advice is take whatever the high bid is, you can lower your reserve at anytime, speak with BaT and let this bird fly away. Widdle down the collection to one car (very smart) and go nuts on that one and I think you will have a much better time in the "hobby" we all truly enjoy (most of the time...LOL).

Good luck, clock is ticking, time to make some hard decisions. If this goes RNM, good luck finding a private buyer that would pay more or another site where you would get more for it. As you know, listing on BaT is a lot of work, why throw all that away too? And my 2 cents, the market is softening again unless it is a highly desirable car, rare, low production, etc. But hot rodded coupe, I think you won't find a better place to sell than BaT at the moment.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Candia - nobody likes losing money, nobody...I have been around BMW's since I was a baby (parents always had one, starting with a '72 Bavaria). I bought an '02 as one of my first cars ('76 Golf 2002) and have had many, many over the years that I buy, work on them a bit (mainly have mechanics work on them to be very honest) but do what I can on my own and keep learning with friends. I am now 52 years old. The car "hobby" is where I have met most of my lifelong friends (BMW aficionados like everyone on this site).

Looking back at all the cars I have "fixed up" to my standards (meaning mainly presentable "drivers," cars focused on suspension and handling first and foremost), I can honestly say I broke even at BEST on ALL of them, with the exception of my 911 Porsche (and that was just dumb luck and timing). Backing out the commision etc. I still didn't "kill it" on the sale.

Point being was what I mentioned above, for most of us this should be looked at as a "hobby." Your business is in construction. Make your money there, win some, lose some on the cars, look at it as a "hobby." Learn and enjoy the experiences you have along the way (good and bad) and keep enjoying the hobby. Don't let one car get to you.

You are at the point where you realize you are in over your head and basically would be throwing good money after bad. My advice is take whatever the high bid is, you can lower your reserve at anytime, speak with BaT and let this bird fly away. Widdle down the collection to one car (very smart) and go nuts on that one and I think you will have a much better time in the "hobby" we all truly enjoy (most of the time...LOL).

Good luck, clock is ticking, time to make some hard decisions. If this goes RNM, good luck finding a private buyer that would pay more or another site where you would get more for it. As you know, listing on BaT is a lot of work, why throw all that away too? And my 2 cents, the market is softening again unless it is a highly desirable car, rare, low production, etc. But hot rodded coupe, I think you won't find a better place to sell than BaT at the moment.
Hello, you are right no one likes to loos money, now at this point that is look like it is not going to sale, I have to change my decision I will keep this one and sale other 2 E9, and believe me this is more fun to drive than standard E9 and with fellow coup members help I will take this car to the next level to be more fun and safe to drive, I hope that I can get help from you since you know all about this cars, and I am enjoying to work on this cars but when I take tings apart and I don't know what to do to make it work that's the time I get frustrated and mad to my self, I hope always I can make good money on construction to spend on this cars, since my age is not smart to save money, my kids all are highly educated and don't need my help and all have a very good life, it is the best for a guy like me spend the money on things that makes you happy, and thank you for your good advise.
now next car for sale will be my blue E9 that is all standard E9 and my 2002tii will be after blue E9 2002tii is very nice restored and all is standard tii the only one that will takes time it is the Inka orange that I complete the paint and upholstery guy is working on interior that will be black full leather next will be the dash that have a crack need to be radon and my friend is rebuilding 3.5L fuel injector engine for it with 5 speed gear box, but the car is 2800cs not a 3.0cs but for me it is same there is no deference if it is I don't know the deference.

Last edited:

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s the last hour, you never know what can happen. Auctions usually don’t get going until the very end.