my new engine M30B30

DerSchwede

Reaction score
hi Steve, it was after searching ebay trying to find one like yours, and realizing it was almost imposible to get it shipped to me, then i went virtually round the corner to a old electric auto workshop that had been there forever, and suddenly found the thing covered by a big Green cover (that is the reason for it being so well preserved), i immediately recongised the shape, it was no need to ask for what it was, i knew at a glance !

the nice thing is that they brought it to my garage in their van (almost 2km away), and they told me to check for good operation condition before paying for it, so by now it costed me virtually a bottle of "chablis" french wine that i gave them when they reached my garage (as a thanking gift).

Price if good condition has been agreed too

IMHO amazingly cheap considering that it includes a stroboscopic lamp, and a pressure/vaccum tester too, so all the operations that are explained in the blue manuals can be performed

:lol::lol::lol:

Perfect, now I only have to drive to Bilbao to get my cars hooked up! ;-)

Cheers
A

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I need to start trolling the old foreign car shops around here...

hi Steve, it was after searching ebay trying to find one like yours, and realizing it was almost imposible to get it shipped to me, then i went virtually round the corner to a old electric auto workshop that had been there forever, and suddenly found the thing covered by a big Green cover (that is the reason for it being so well preserved), i immediately recongised the shape, it was no need to ask for what it was, i knew at a glance !

the nice thing is that they brought it to my garage in their van (almost 2km away), and they told me to check for good operation condition before paying for it, so by now it costed me virtually a bottle of "chablis" french wine that i gave them when they reached my garage (as a thanking gift).

Price if good condition has been agreed too

IMHO amazingly cheap considering that it includes a stroboscopic lamp, and a pressure/vaccum tester too, so all the operations that are explained in the blue manuals can be performed

:lol::lol::lol:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
it has been a while to clean the cables individually, the plugs, check continuity, and refit them in their places, one of the inductive clamps seems not in very good condition,

i added a lamp to the end of the support this way i can use it anytime

i rearranged the cables

nice arrangement to work in the engine, it provides me with a dedicated light

yes, i did not check the equipment yet, i need to replace two of the power clamps, but i am very happy with the result

i will change the wheels too, they are not in very nice condition, the rubber is warped

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
If you class yourself as a procrastinator then there is no hope for me.

well, do not consider it too bad, what i mean is that any other hman being would have immediately push the red buttons to switch the equipment on and try it immediately

i am unable to, i am going through a clean, repair, and reinstall of all the bits before doing that, and even now that is completed i need to find a good moment to hook it up and try it, i tend to concentrate in the details, there might be a reason for it, i fear a shortcircuit that might fry the old electronics, or to broke something that can not be replaced,...

Stefan

Reaction score
well, do not consider it too bad, what i mean is that any other hman being would have immediately push the red buttons to switch the equipment on and try it immediately

i am unable to, i am going through a clean, repair, and reinstall of all the bits before doing that, and even now that is completed i need to find a good moment to hook it up and try it, i tend to concentrate in the details, there might be a reason for it, i fear a shortcircuit that might fry the old electronics, or to broke something that can not be replaced,...

Remands me when powering up my car after over 30 years of sleeping.
Putting in fuse by fuse in a slow sequence to have control. When putting in fuse for D-jet I remember this could totally ruin my positive atmosphere for continuing the work.
(To secure any miss failures by D-Jet I got a pair of carburators)

Well, even today if I'm having a plane to catch or similar urgent and need to get there with my daily car, I know the lady in the garage will ALWAYS start the engine with the D-Jet after cranking.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
the suspense is killing me!

just thinking of you Steve, close to a nervous breakdown, i speeded up a bit, and finally hooked it up:

the six cylinder view

primary curve:

secondary curve:

theoretical curves:

http://s999.photobucket.com/user/dequincey/media/neu engine/curvasecteorica_zpsedc25ee0.jpg.html

the induction Little clamp is not working so i can not check some of the characteristics, like dwell, and stroboscopic light, and cylinder check, but i will try to solve it asap,...

Last edited:

Tierfreund

Reaction score
DQ, mind if I come by with my Jag? I have a rough idle problem that I just can´t figure out. Looks like you´ve got just the right tools...

Carefull with iinvitations, soon you´ll find you´ve given up your dayjob and are now running a classic car garage...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ, mind if I come by with my Jag? I have a rough idle problem that I just can´t figure out. Looks like you´ve got just the right tools...

Carefull with iinvitations, soon you´ll find you´ve given up your dayjob and are now running a classic car garage...

tierfreund, you will be absolutely welcome !
but bring some alt beer in the trunk ;-)

i assume that no other one will be interested but i am about to be in contact with a recently closed bosch car service, who knows what we will find there !
i am trying to find a replacement for my broken inductive clamp that does not allow me to make cylinder by cylinder comparison, and to use the strobo lamp
...more will follow,...

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Having just repaired my strobe clamp have you considered grafting another clamp in place of the old one? Or take an existing working clamp with it's wire and hook it into the cabinet back so you don't see the wound. It's just a shielded cable around a central wire (2 connections) so maybe that would solve your problem.

!
i am trying to find a replacement for my broken inductive clamp that does not allow me to make cylinder by cylinder comparison, and to use the strobo lamp

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Having just repaired my strobe clamp have you considered grafting another clamp in place of the old one? Or take an existing working clamp with it's wire and hook it into the cabinet back so you don't see the wound. It's just a shielded cable around a central wire (2 connections) so maybe that would solve your problem.

yes steve that is my last bullet !
if possible i will go through the search of an exact clamp, but yes, i assume that an inductive clamp is a simple thing, i even have one in my strobo gun, but it is already connected and i can not try it without cutting the cable, it comes to my thinking that i do not know if all the clamps are equivalent either

the closed bosch service was found because this was the shop that sold my actual motortester back in the eighties, and they used to be dealers of bosch products, repair shop of the mentioned equipment, and car service too, so i can think that they might have spares, but i might be too optimistic ! ?

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonderful devotion to your craft deQ. A testament to how things used to made. I doubt that similar equipment built today would last and function 40 years from now.
Does it have an electric hum and make beep sounds? If it doesn't then I think you should add them for effect .

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wonderful devotion to your craft deQ. A testament to how things used to made. I doubt that similar equipment built today would last and function 40 years from now.
Does it have an electric hum and make beep sounds? If it doesn't then I think you should add them for effect .

thank you Gazz, yes it is not only cool, but functional, and it provides you with interesting information almost in ten minutes you can make a diagnosis of your engine, so the same as i check the oil every few trips i might be able to hook it up and "take a look inside"

i have to say that this particular one has been very well preserved, kept the boxes covered in a green thick plastic bag; that has not been the case of the support wardrobe, that is a bit corroded, and with some faulty elements as the wheels that i have already replaced by new ones, you can see new additional aluminium bars too, i am using them to compensate the fatigue of the supporting shelves, BTW the two big boxes are VERY heavy !

as to the tests i have tried by now, i dont recall any beep or other noises, but when it is switched on there is an almost imperceptible buzzz as what good vintage electronics use to do, :-D

...a friend that came to my garage to see it in person, and that was before bringing it back to life, told me: " no matter if it does not work, it is SO COOL, you can keep it there as others have posters or other memorabilia,...", ha, ha, ha

Last edited: