Nardi Steering Wheel on eBay

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
I paid half of that 4 months ago for an identical one new..Mine was 390mm (same size). Be patient and keep looking.
Look on ebay under seller gevans333....he has one for sale 390mm with bmw logo for $339. Thats who I bought mine from and I am very pleased. Also do not get anything less 380mm...go for the 390mm not 360mm.
abe

Attachments

• nardi390bmw1.jpg
    nardi390bmw1.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

drewbaker

Reaction score
Thanks Abe, good advice. I must have missed gevans333's 390mm wheel as it's not there now (just one with a porsche logo on it). I've emailed him and asked if he has another.

What gear stick do you have? I have a 4speed manual and want to get a gear stick to match the Nardi wheel. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Are you sure...there is one for sale BMW NARDI WOOD 390mm CLASSIC by gevans333 time left March 28th. I have a five speed and has the black leather?rubberized one. I thought about the wood one...but have not bought one. There is guy customwoodshiftknobs.com who makes them...but I have no experience with him.

abe

abe3.0CSi

Reaction score
Chuck,
What wood best matches with our dash from customwoodshiftknob? I have always wanted to buy one but not sure which one matches.
Also, it does look like original and has a hub...so we are comparing apples and oranges and it may be the
right price as mentioned below by jmackro.
abe

Last edited:

jmackro

Reaction score
Wow, if you take the ebay seller's description literally, that wheel is 15.3', or 4,663mm. Oh, you think he meant 15.3"? Well, never mind.

Not that I have $750 to drop on a steering wheel, even if it might be 15 feet in diameter, but... the description claims it dates from the 1980's. My understanding is that the older Nardi wheels have a smaller rim diameter, so to a purist they would be more period correct than the current, fatter-rimmed models. As Abe3.0CSi writes, new Nardi wheels are available for under half that $750 price, but if absolute originality is your thing, $750 might seem reasonable.

Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK...what cost originality???

I have been looking for a Nardi wheel and have seen quite a bit of variation in price.

Not that I am up for spending a small fortune on a steering wheel, but the link that was shown here does have a product that is perhaps a bit rarer than the Crowder's Custom option.

The wheels here were obtained from a warehouse in Italy and are NOS and time dated to the 70s and 80s.

So horn buttons?...as would have been supplied in the day. Note the 1970 Ferrari Daytona'esque shape of the one for $1350??? This is the what would have been supplied had you purchased a Nardi in 1970. Steering wheels and hubs are similarily period stamped NOS as well.

OK... 3X the cost of the Crowder option? Yea...but you have to say pretty cool.

Is it worth it???

tmason

Reaction score
To my Wife

With these prices Honey 1050.00 Nardi+3000.00 Alpinas=4050.00 more then we paid for the whole car!I told you it was a good deal!Now can I get it painted.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey guys, customwoodshiftknob's looks like what I want. Thanks so much for the help.

But what was the original wood gear shift option? Was there even one? I'm just after the knob that's on this car:
http://sandiegobmw.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/bmw-of-the-week-1973-bmw-30cs-barn-find/

@jmacko I hear what your saying about the OG Nardi's, but I think the cost/gain is just not high enough.

The 2800 CS i was parting out had a wood steering wheel and a plain wood shift knob. Small with the head about as big as a 50 cent piece in diameter

execmalibu

Reaction score
Those are Repros... NOT NOS!

Those are not NOS period Nardi steering wheels...

They are reproductions that the seller has an unlimited supply of for every car and they are not even correct...

The first wheel is a 1950s-60s Nardi (large hub/horn button + blind riveted) notice that the wheel is large (15 1/2 inches)and the wood is very thin... The second is a 1970s-modern (3) piece bolt together with the small hub and small horn button... The second wheel is what should be on most E9s and should be around $500 complete with horn button and hub... The third wheel is the Nardi that are currently offered on ebay as NOS has a rounded hub which is wrong!...

Attachments

• $T2eC16VHJGkE9no8hZ6tBQbeeD,cpg~~60_57.JPG.jpg
    $T2eC16VHJGkE9no8hZ6tBQbeeD,cpg~~60_57.JPG.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 309
  • !C!7SS-gCGk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEzJV!tFsrBNFPVy(mDQ~~_1.JPG.jpg
    !C!7SS-gCGk~$(KGrHqYOKjoEzJV!tFsrBNFPVy(mDQ~~_1.JPG.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 295
  • $(KGrHqR,!i4FB,q2pM2EBQZhYWM)0w~~60_57.JPG.jpg
    $(KGrHqR,!i4FB,q2pM2EBQZhYWM)0w~~60_57.JPG.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those are not NOS period Nardi steering wheels...

They are reproductions that the seller has an unlimited supply of for every car and they are not even correct...

The first wheel is a 1950s-60s Nardi (large + hub blind riveted) notice that the wheel is large (15 1/2 inches)and the wood is very thin... The second is a 1970s-modern (3) piece bolt together with the small hub and small horn button... The second wheel is what should be on most E9s and should be around $500 complete with horn button and hub... The third wheel is the Nardi that are currently offered on ebay as NOS has a rounded hub which is wrong!...

Sure about the rounded hub? If I look at almost all early 1970s Nardis they all have the rounded hub. Datonas / Dinos / Mercs. The flat ribbed trim and horn button seem to be a 1980s iteration.

execmalibu

Reaction score
I have a Dino and had a Daytona... They have leather wheels...

I have a Dino Spyder that I have owned for 30 years... It came with the very small leather Dino wheel... The Dino and Daytona wheel is flat with concentric holes in the spokes and is a Momo not a Nardi...

I liked the larger wheel that was on my Daytona so I ordered a Daytona wheel for my Dino... That Daytona wheel is still on my Dino today

At that time I also owned a 330GTS... The 330 had a wooden wheel with the stamped pattern on the spokes... Many Ferraris of the period used the exact same wheel including 275GTB/4, 330GT 2+2, California Spyders etc... Those wheels did have the round Horn Button surround which is wider and is NOT the SAME as what they are offering today. Also that was a Ferrari designed Wheel possibly made for Ferrari by Nardi...

The Nardi Wooden Wheels introduced around 1970 +/- were different... The wood was much thicker and they ALL were (3) piece bolt together wheels. The hub had a squared off cover over the bolts... Those 1970s and later wheels ALL used the exact SAME smaller Horn Button with either a Nardi logo or the cars logo on the horn button...

Here are also what a Dino/Daytona leather wheel looks like... Note that the hub is the same from Ferraris all the way back to the early 1960s except it is polished aluminum...

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!hsE8T5+cqr(BPizyY!dHQ~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    $(KGrHqF,!hsE8T5+cqr(BPizyY!dHQ~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 230
  • $(KGrHqNHJCMFBrb1MUwEBQh0Ueklzw~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    $(KGrHqNHJCMFBrb1MUwEBQh0Ueklzw~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 256
  • $(KGrHqV,!q0FBgMUBoKuBQicwzYVjw~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    $(KGrHqV,!q0FBgMUBoKuBQicwzYVjw~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 212
  • $(KGrHqN,!oUFB0MWZ7NYBQic)E35H!~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!oUFB0MWZ7NYBQic)E35H!~~60_1.JPG.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a Dino Spyder that I have owned for 30 years... It came with the very small leather Dino wheel... The Dino and Daytona wheel is flat with concentric holes in the spokes and is a Momo not a Nardi...

I liked the larger wheel that was on my Daytona so I ordered a Daytona wheel for my Dino... That Daytona wheel is still on my Dino today

At that time I also owned a 330GTS... The 330 had a wooden wheel with the stamped pattern on the spokes... Many Ferraris of the period used the exact same wheel including 275GTB/4, 330GT 2+2, California Spyders etc... Those wheels did have the round Horn Button surround which is wider and is NOT the SAME as what they are offering today. Also that was a Ferrari designed Wheel possibly made for Ferrari by Nardi...

The Nardi Wooden Wheels introduced around 1970 +/- were different... The wood was much thicker and they ALL were (3) piece bolt together wheels. The hub had a squared off cover over the bolts... Those 1970s and later wheels ALL used the exact SAME smaller Horn Button with either a Nardi logo or the cars logo on the horn button...

Have to say I visually prefer what is now clear to be the correct wheel / horn button but was captivated with having possibly located a rare piece. Glad I dropped a note here. Money saved can be applied elsewhere.

Thanks!!!