New BAT 1973 3.0 cs - Guess Price?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh my, Does this look right?
I have never seen unevenly spaced and crooked numbers on an early BMW VIN plate. VIN plates can be replaced, so one could have tried to replicate the stamped numbers (maybe after a few cocktails).
I was wondering when I saw it. It matches the body though.
And although the body stamp seems to be a match, it is curious that it is nicely visible. I usually have to rub at it, then hold a light just a certain way to get such a clear picture of it.

Despite these things, I don't have a reason to suspect the VIN is incorrect for this car. Probably just evidence of previous/old work.?.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my guess is that somebody bought a plate a long time ago and hand stamped it with individual numbers ... not ganged together.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
poor-ass stamping. YOu can get repro-tags for cheap and have a pro if you can't do it yourself, stamp it correctly w/the correct font and spacing.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
THIS IS A TOUGH CROWD.... LOL. I am tempted to upload a shitload of hi-res images here before and after painting to have you all pick apart my Coupe, but I am scared that you might determine it is a fake.... :) Joking, sort of. Love to know where all the imperfections are. Going to visit the coupe next week at the painter to see progress.

restart

Reaction score
Yes, I don’t question the numbers, it was just done so poorly.
And I shudder to think what would have happened on BaT if it was mentioned.
It’s amazing how an errant comment can derail a perfectly good auction.

jmackro

Reaction score
...my spidey sense tells me that the leaking rust, bubbles, and other visual clues in the photos suggest that this car isn't "too spectacular".

Yes, all that would concern me too, though if the price is right, they aren't unusual problems for an e9. What jumped out at me in the BaT description was the sentence: "According to the seller, the rear suspension is tweaked on the left side and could not be properly aligned." Hmm, it would take some severe accident damage to misalign the rear suspension. Not that this too can't be fixed, but it goes beyond the bounds of typical e9 issues.

Just for the sake of the online poll and my thrill of a sporting chance, I'll say $33k.

Yes, that number would seem fair. But in an auction, anything can happen!

milwaukeesk

Member.
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I give BAT e9 buyers too much credit As it would seem most actual ‘buyers’ probably make their way here over the course of an auction to see what experts are chatting about regarding the car in question.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I give BAT e9 buyers too much credit As it would seem most actual ‘buyers’ probably make their way here over the course of an auction to see what experts are chatting about regarding the car in question.

Unless one of us inserts ourselves into the bring a trailer discussion I don’t think there’s any chance he will find their way here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
62c6e9f1feb546bf7e3f96107b0661d1.gif

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with the alignment, at least nothing you wouldn't find on most coupes.

Camber varies a little side to side but not by much. Toe is about .25" on one side and close to zero on the other. That could be better but with old rubber bushings and no adjustment at all that's kind of expected.

IMO this car has fewer obvious issues than that wonky door fit car a few weeks ago but the cracking and bubbling suggest serious issues underneath.

jmackro

Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with the alignment, at least nothing you wouldn't find on most coupes. Camber varies a little side to side but not by much. Toe is about .25" on one side and close to zero on the other.

"I don't think there is anything wrong with the alignment" and "could not be properly aligned" sound like two different things to me. But you seem to have direct knowledge of this car; admittedly I do not.

Last edited: