New BAT 1973 3.0 cs - Guess Price?

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I don’t know the car, the mechanic doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

There is nothing to “align” at the rear...no toe adjustment no camber adjustment, you get what you get.

I’m saying while those numbers are not perfect they’re in the ballpark of a normal car and don’t necessarily indicate damage.

Now, if this were something newer like an E39 those cars are adjustable at the rear. If you work on one of those and still are .25 off in toe then that’s not right.

I suppose it could be semantics. “I can’t align the car”...well, no one can, other than toe at the front.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Ok, I’m going to amend my post here...the mechanic may be great and simply stating the obvious. The seller perhaps doesn’t understand and is being diligent in disclosing what he thinks is an issue.

But it’s not an issue, IMO.

restart

Reaction score
That thing is pretty crusty underneath.
Wouldn’t a bent trailing arm or even bad bushings back there could make alignment impossible. Or perhaps the trailing arm mounting points are deteriorated . Or all three.
It looks a bit wonky to me in this photo. Could just be photo angle or it could juts be me...
CC777850-6EAD-4021-A252-4447D88FF4A3.png

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m uping my guesstimate to 34k
I don't know. There seems to be a lot of mis-information being shared in the BaT comments (but I guess that is not unusual). I would be willing to classify this car as a driver in short need of a restoration, or perhaps a rolling restoration. I am thinking of lowering my guestimate to $31K

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think it will go up at least 10k in the next 14 hours. which would put it right at Stephen's revised number. don't think it will get to my number

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Replacing old fuel lines that were factory under coated should be a required part of recommissioning these old cars. I’ve had fuel leaks from these metal lines on multiple 70’s vintage BMWs (albeit all rust belt cars). Some of these were when the cars were only 20 years old. If you remove them before they crumble it’s not too hard to bend new ones to match in stainless or some other corrosion and ethanol friendly material.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just hope someone inflates the front left tire to the proper pressure before driving this away. It is shocking to see that on the cover photo - I can't get past it.
And it took three pages of discussion for someone to comment on it! Far more observant than the "crusty" comment on an underside shot! Thank goodness there's a few of us still around who've seen real caked up nastiness that was probably older than half of the active commenters in "our" little forum!

my opinion: for "this market" ---it is a 10-12 thousand dollar car, ALL systems need attention to be "excellent" and while it may "pass the 20-foot test" it is apparent it will need a lot of work. A solid condition 4 car. Remember, that Hagerty will call (at least they used to) most show cars a "three" ...

Shiny paint on 80% good sheetmetal does not a show car make, no more than cars and coffee is "really" a car show.

291cfa02e0e08112e18da578ee828bc9.jpg

If this car sells for only 20 k, heck if 10 cars like it sell for "only 20k", what do you think those 10 cars after being turned over for checkbook/credit card restorations will do to your parts source market? And you really think ten of them are "worth" one member's golf CSL? And if you spent 20-30k on it do you really honestly know whether or not you were upside down on the project or not?

restart

Reaction score
23,250 with one half hr left
Always fun to watch the last few minutes..

Ok,dp so, I resemble that remark so....
you were probly being humorous but do you think commenting on a
low tire is a more important sophisticated comment than pointing out the
frame rails are collapsing from being lifted
Serial number plate terrible repop
interesting seam sealer, and that the
rear ended may be misaligned due to bushing fatigue, bent trailing arm, and a body so crusty it can’t hold onto it’s rear axle anymore...
...the seats are nice tho.
Of course we have seen worse but that doesn’t make this car solid...I can’t beleive people on BaT are saying this car is solid.
funny...
3B3E99B2-0AEB-482D-86AA-5782BF79155E.png
ECE80D6F-DCC2-41F2-AFE2-BBC116295992.png
914C6B93-8FA9-4552-800C-A609344E134E.png
1DCE96C5-060E-46D6-BB69-BA0251D12DE6.png
2E4E3DAF-EE74-4C23-8A51-A5698891EF8B.png

restart

Reaction score
32,000 and still bidding.
Interesting defence of this car by the experts....

It wasn’t that long ago that overspray was enough to draw negative comments.
Describing this car as solid is quite a bit of a stretch.
But I think free speech is still allowed.
I’d pay 6k all day long.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At $39k, maybe not over yet. I am surprised that a shiny spray of Fjord Blue over just about any level of crust, despite the callousness of crushing rockers, fuel lines, and deflated tires in the photos, will provide a likely shocked new owner of their new "project".

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Perhaps the fact that Rob Siegel showed up in the BaT comments gave the car a pseudo celebrity status.?. :confused: