New Fender liners (Lokari)

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, I may be interested. I need at least the left hand side (as mine is starting to crack at the upper part). Would you take $75 for the pair + shipping?

I do not see an option for PM's in this new format.

Bwana

Reaction score
Zombie thread revival

jcat/anybody,

I'm considering buying a set of the Lokari fender liners. Any update on their performance?

Bwana

Reaction score
Come on you guys, several hundred hits and no comments?? WTF???

I've sent jcat a PM so maybe we'll get a review

Stefan

Reaction score
Performance?

jcat/anybody,

I'm considering buying a set of the Lokari fender liners. Any update on their performance?

Well, since E9 probably got one of the worst designs in car history to prevent corrosion on the inside of the front wings and towards A-pillar, this after market product must been like a gift from heaven back in the days :)

But, I guessed not that many installed similar fender liners though. At least not until they exchanged the first pair of front wings after approx. 5 years of daily driving? This depends of course what weather conditions the car was accessed to.

End of storytelling!

If you are going to keep your car for several years to come and you will not feel like a "front wing murderer" every time you drive on wet roads. Then I think this is the perfect after market product, even today.

Easy installed, fits perfect and complete with black underbody paint when aluminium. Done!

More arguments needed to install fender liners, Bwana? :)

Bwana

Reaction score
Fender murderer

Great experssion! Here in Houston it's easy to get trapped in a huge downpour on a moments notice. Had that happen a couple of weeks ago. All I could think of as I drove along was how the existing rust was getting wet and getting so much worse! Clear and dry when I left the house

Yes, fender liners are now on the list. I'm going to try and stop a lot of the existing rust before I install them with something like POR-15

Thanks for the motivation

Tyler

Reaction score
I've had the Lokari's on for over three years now. Got stuck in the rain several times during this period, and drove through quite a bit of mud on a rally in Wales last year. Opened them up recently to inspect and the inside of the wings were as clean as when I installed the liners. Great protection at a cost of drilling 4 holes each side (2 in the subfame, 2 in the body) for the mounting screws. I get a small amount of tire rub on one side at full lock, probably solvable with a few whacks of a rubber mallet as the liner alloy is quite malleable.

jcat

Reaction score
Lokaris

Havent been on the site for a while but I see their is a renewed interested in fender liners.
My experience with the lokaris is great. I dont put many miles on my coupe but last fall I removed them for a bit of an inspection and the area behind the liners was clean as a whistle.
not even a spec of anything behind them.
they are reasonably priced (at least when I bought them they were)
they are super easy to install and they work to perfection. Cant loose.

Bwana

Reaction score
Installed mine!

They came in the USPS via DHL with no issues!

I think my wife didn't complain about them staying in the entry for a couple of days because they looked like art :lol:

P9240034.jpg

Turns out the instructions said (yes, I actually read them!) the lower part number is on the passenger side. Well, the sticker was either reversed or the folks at Lokari thought this was an English car. Once I studied the photos at the beginning of the thread, I figured it out. They literally jumped into position. A dead blow rubber hammer is a lot of help too!

Front (thanks jcat, I never would have figured out where to put this bracket)

P9290053.jpg

P9290055.jpg

Rear

P9290054.jpg

No brainer installation once you figure it out. Not many screws either, almost fits via friction

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i will go for them too
really nice, and by the experiences, fuctional too !
well seldom can I be trapped in the rain as i am carefully reading (not reading, studying!) the forecast before deciding which car is going to be out that day
but some days are less predictable than others, and an occasional thunderstorm can unexpectedly happen and ruin your perfect couping day

any experience in prior or after-assembly painting the alu skin ? which would be better ? product ?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
these look really nice - anybody know if you can use them with rolled fenders?

so where do we get them? i suppose they come from Europe. if anybody contacts them ... i would be interested in getting a set, and if there are others (as i suspect), i would be curious if there is interest in a group buy to either get a better price or to combine shipping across the ocean.

Bwana

Reaction score
I forgot to show some additional info WRT what I did before I installed these liners. I cleaned out the upper fenders, the "hell hole" at the upper rear of the fender well. I was able to clean it out with high pressure air plus some judicious scraping.

Cool air nozzle I made so I could get into all the small spaces

P7140064.jpg

Stuff I found in the hole

P7140063.jpg

Results from the scraping/blowing (don't forget your safety glasses!)

P7140061.jpg

After cleaning it out as best I could, I went back with a rust reformer to stabilize what rust was left. I found this at Eastwood, it's nothing short of brilliant! I was able to get into all the nooks and crannies you normally can't see.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-encapsulator-w-ext-nozzle-black.html

It's used in conjunction with the "prep" stuff which I think is just thinner. You use it to clean the nozzel when you're done.

Cleaning the nozzle

P7140066.jpg

Before

P7130021.jpg

After

P7140041.jpg

Maybe not the full restoration method but should keep us on the road for a number of years to come

Bwana

Reaction score
any experience in prior or after-assembly painting the alu skin ? which would be better ? product ?

No idea about painting them. You really can't see them when they are installed so I didn't worry about it. The only concern I can think of is that the paint may flex and flake while you are installing them

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
No idea about painting them. You really can't see them when they are installed so I didn't worry about it. The only concern I can think of is that the paint may flex and flake while you are installing them

thanks
i just looked at your pics of the preparation work, nice!, yes i used an air compressor to blow air inside the nasty holes, and i took out a very similar stuff and lots of dust

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I have some fibreglass inner fenders that are made of a sheet material. They fit quite well. I could take them off and make some measurements (Trace on paper) then send them to someone like Scott (rsporsche) who could probably enter the coordinates in a computer.
I am tempted by these Lokari fender liners too though. I do not intend on driving in wet weather with my car. As for rust, my plan is a yearly application of this;

http://www.krown.com

Very popular in Canada, and Canadians take rusting more seriously than most. I come from a place where E9's were reduced to dust in just a few years.

Last edited: