New Member: Long time E9 fan

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
Pics look good. You can also post them full sized. When you click insert, you will then get a thumbnail of your picture, with two insertion options on the left and a trash can option on the right. Obviously, the trash can option is to delete the picture before you post. If you just click enter, a thumbnail will show in the thread which is what you have done here. Under the thumbnail option, however is an alternative. If you click "full image", your picture will post in the body of your thread. Your picture have more visual impact that way.
Yep it was giving me error message trying it that way. I’ve done it before that way as shown in this thread. Thank you though.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can always resize the photo when inserting. Once photo is selected at the bottom click Show Selected and then Actual Size and you can then select small, medium and large. Click Done and then Add, I always select large to save a bit of bandwidth.

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
You can always resize the photo when inserting. Once photo is selected at the bottom click Show Selected and then Actual Size and you can then select small, medium and large. Click Done and then Add, I always select large to save a bit of bandwidth.
It was just acting up this way so I did it differently. I’ve posted photos as a file and thumbnail. I don’t mind either way. It gets the job done regardless lol.

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
My E9 has been out of my possession for a year getting worked on when it could. Within that year I was getting really antsy and kept having an itch on buying another car. So, I ended up buying an E34 M5 and another E39 M5. These cars kind of scratched the itch but nothing can compare to the E9. After one year of sourcing parts, having the car worked on when time allowed and other hiccups along the way…I finally have my E9 back. All suspension bushings have been replaced, new water pump, thermostat, coolant hoses, radiator, instrument cluster with fully functional odometer gears and light bulbs and adjusted Fritz Bitz exhaust. I originally had plans on rebuilding the Weber carbs to keep it decently original so I sourced a lot of items and purchased most of them via this forum. Long story short, I decided to go fuel injected and the donor car was a 1981 528i. Wiring harness, cylinder head, intake manifold, all sensors, etc was pulled from that e12. Everything that was pulled off to make room for the EFI has been saved and tucked away. Fuel injected made the car so much more enjoyable to drive! Turn key for a quick start, no stumbling, constant and smooth power delivery. It’s a fantastic machine. I’m sure I’m missing more details about what was replaced. I’ll just need to look through the large stack of receipts I’ve collected over the past year.

IMG_7956.jpeg
IMG_2166.jpeg

WALTER

Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s a nice stable. I have an e34; a lowly 525i manual, but I love the chassis. What do you think of the e39 vs e34 exponential or incremental difference?

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
That’s a nice stable. I have an e34; a lowly 525i manual, but I love the chassis. What do you think of the e39 vs e34 exponential or incremental difference?
Thank you.

I think the jump from the E34 to the E39 was exponential. It’s a day and night driving experience from the motor, steering feel and more. It handles much more flatter and confidently. It weighs less than the E34. Interior build quality wasn’t a big jump but the lay out and materials certainly was. Personally I prefer the E39 over the E34 but whenever you’re revving the E34 out, it is a really special experience. They’re both unique in their own way.

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
I had an eventful weekend. Many years ago, somebody repainted the car, and they filled in the holes for the “2800” emblem. Thankfully, they were still visible when you open the trunk which was used as a template. Driving home I heard some severe clunking, and when I got to my house, I realize that the rear strut unscrewed itself from the base. A very old Bilstein but with excellent rebound. I took everything apart, cleaned the threads, applied red Loctite and screwed the strut back into place as a temporary fix while I order new rear struts. I was about to take it on a test drive, I depressed the clutch pedal and realize there was no more clutch engagement. I check the brake fluid reservoir and it is bone dry. I fill it back up, hop inside the car, depress the clutch and notice brake fluid squirting out of the clutch master cylinder on my shoe. A new one will arrive early this week and I hope to get it installed before the weekend. I also got new tires installed on the E39 M5. All in all, it was a good weekend.
IMG_8142.jpeg
IMG_8167.jpeg
IMG_8195.jpeg
IMG_8193.jpeg

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the booster full of fluid? How does the fluid get from the master to inside the car?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is the booster full of fluid? How does the fluid get from the master to inside the car?
Had this happen to me. Fluid gets past the seal and follows along the pedal linkage and drips onto floor. Sometimes not obvious as to where the disappearing fluid from the reservoir is going until a large puddle forms under the carpet.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Master is still available but it is the later e12, e23, e24 design so the metal pipe will need to be bent or replaced with brake hose and a plastic elbow/nipple.

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had an eventful weekend... I also got new tires installed on the E39 M5. All in all, it was a good weekend.
Exciting weekend... A strut came loose and the clutch fluid leaked out? Are you in good terms with your neighbors? Any unpaid loans to shady people?
Tires for my E39 M5 is always a pain, front and rears never wear out at the same time, rotation not possible as the rears are wider, and no spare tire at all makes me nervous. Tried Michelin run flats but they are worse and more expensive, then getting out of them had to be done all 4 at the same time, but they do not wear out at the same time!!

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Fantastic car. My E9 at one time had similar wheels. Owner gave them to me and at one point I considered putting new tires on them and putting them back on my car, but decided instead to go with Alpina wheels. I ended up selling them for $2500 I think on e-bay. They look cool on your car and with your color paint make your E-9 very unique and will get you a ton of attention and conversation at cars and coffee events Here is a picture of what my car looked like with them.

Attachments

• old2.JPG
    old2.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 85
  • FullSizeRender.JPG
    FullSizeRender.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 86

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
Exciting weekend... A strut came loose and the clutch fluid leaked out? Are you in good terms with your neighbors? Any unpaid loans to shady people?
Tires for my E39 M5 is always a pain, front and rears never wear out at the same time, rotation not possible as the rears are wider, and no spare tire at all makes me nervous. Tried Michelin run flats but they are worse and more expensive, then getting out of them had to be done all 4 at the same time, but they do not wear out at the same time!!
You're telling me. If it's not one thing, it's another. One day the cars will be happy and content! I feel you on that. This E39 M5 definitely needs an alignment. I haven't had this one for long and I can already tell it needs it. With that being said, it's well worth the hassle of burning through rear tires. I like Conti DWS as I use the car year round in all weather types including snow. I had 4s on my previous one years ago and they were great in the summer.

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
Yesterday I got around to installing new Bilstein HD shocks in the rear to get rid of the old style (and tired) Bilsteins. Ride quality has drastically improved. Next will be the fronts when I have time and now I’m thinking about different lowering springs as I feel the springs (not sure the brand) are a bit tired as the rear sits a bit lower than the front. I also need to take a look at the odometer/trip as they’ve both stopped working. New gears were installed about 200 miles ago.

IMG_8685.jpeg
IMG_8687.jpeg
IMG_8689.jpeg

thedazeofrain

Reaction score
My sister is getting married and wanted to use the e9 as the getaway car. I’ve been tinkering with it, installing new to me CN rear springs (thank you @Stan ), cleaning the car and wheels which I coated with a quick “ceramic” spray. I couldn’t find my actual ceramic coating in the garage. Next time. I ran into a weird electrical issue including no start/no power and long story short, a lot of positive wires were all twisted to one connector and they had very little contact. It wiggled loose after all these years causing the dash to dim, RPM bounce all over, odd misfiring and more. I mended it with a temporary fix by stripping as far down as I could until I got to soft rubber/wiring then fitting eye/ring terminals. My goal is to trace and replace all of those red wires this winter. I also fixed my turn signal issue with using the NAPA EL-13 electronic flasher. The hazard relay is in good shape as I’ve gone though fixing that in the past. The electronic flasher was a legit 5 minute fix. It’s nice having functional turn signals again. I installed a new gas cap holder from @x_atlas0 and it works tremendously. Lastly, I had my garage door tracks raised so I can fully open the door with my other cars on the lift. Photo dump time.

71010536735__7AE0EC05-FAD3-468E-8AE7-F9DD7A4C8B64.jpeg
IMG_9844.jpeg
71010706808__7D022F87-F582-4046-86B9-7C6BF2765289.jpeg
IMG_9856.jpeg
IMG_9872.jpeg
IMG_9936.jpeg
IMG_0106.jpeg
IMG_0108.jpeg
IMG_9641.jpeg
IMG_9642.jpeg
IMG_9646.jpeg

Last edited: