New Member: Long time E9 fan

I wouldn't bother even cleaning that thing up. It is very inefficient, and if you want to put a/c in your car a modern Sanden compressor is the way to go. It weighs half what that thing does and places far less drag on the engine. Also, you can remove the vibration dampener under the hood that is only necessary with the stock compressor - see part number 1 here:
Noted! Thank you. I’ve also removed that vibration dampener.

I’ve recently bought spark plugs, valve cover gasket, hazard/turn signal relay, new hazard switch (running into no turn signals per usual), ....
By "hazard/turn signal relay", I assume you mean the flasher. Did you buy a "mechanical" flasher, as was originally supplied, or an electronic one? Honestly, the electronic flashers solve a lot of turn signal problems on these cars. The mechanical flashers have to handle exactly the right amount of current to a) flash and b) light the dash indicator. The electronic ones are indifferent to current. The issue is that with 50 years of oxidation on the bulb sockets and harness connectors, the resistance rises enough to reduce the current low enough to create problems with the mechanical flashers.

There are lots of threads here, as well as on 2002faq, about flashers and turn signals.

thedazeofrain said:
https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/flasher-relay.6507/I’ll roll through the fresh tires and search for new wheels at the same time.

Not quite sure I understood that. What size tires are on it now? If they're not 14", my instincts would be to run the tires that are on it for awhile while you are searching for period-correct, 14" wheels. I love the original, 5-spoke wheels, but others like the Alpina style. And yes, the choices in 195/70-14 tires are limited; such is the price of beauty.

Last edited:
By "hazard/turn signal relay", I assume you mean the flasher. Did you buy a "mechanical" flasher, as was originally supplied, or an electronic one? Honestly, the electronic flashers solve a lot of turn signal problems on these cars. The mechanical flashers have to handle exactly the right amount of current to a) flash and b) light the dash indicator. The electronic ones are indifferent to current. The issue is that with 50 years of oxidation on the bulb sockets and harness connectors, the resistance rises enough to reduce the current low enough to create problems with the mechanical flashers.

There are lots of threads here, as well as on 2002faq, about flashers and turn signals.

Not quite sure I understood that. What size tires are on it now? If they're not 14", my instincts would be to run the tires that are on it for awhile while you are searching for period-correct, 14" wheels. I love the original, 5-spoke wheels, but others like the Alpina style. And yes, the choices in 195/70-14 tires are limited; such is the price of beauty.
I fixed my turn signal issue with using the NAPA EL-13 electronic flasher. The hazard relay is in good shape as I’ve gone though fixing that in the past. The electronic flasher was a 5 minute fix and hasn't skipped a beat. It's funny how something so small and simple can cause so many things to go wonky! I used those threads on my E9 and back when I had the E10.

As for the second part, I was referencing the wheels that originally came on the car which came from an E32 with fresh tires. I wasn't the biggest fan of how they looked, so I drove them for a while and sourced Alpina replica wheels. Since then, I purchased a set of factory E9 wheels from @Dick Steinkamp and I've been using those for quite some time now. I love the original 5-spoke wheels as well!

Ok thanks. Did flush the bilge colored oil outta my diff and added new .
Appreciate the feedback as I’m diving into mine soon. Were gaskets easy to obtain?

Back