New owner 1976 3.0Si Arctic Blue

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Brief update:
Have now completed cleaning/detailing all four wheel wells, tidied up brake discs and treated surface rust on the rear axle carrier subframes.
Now waiting for some new suspension bushings and brake pads, etc to arrive from Pelican Parts in the US (early Christmas present for the old girl!).
Need to order new handbrake cables, handbrake shoes and some other parts as well.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Early Christmas present

This arrived in the mail yesterday.
Found it in Australia, on the bay of e.
I particularly wanted an Australia-spec book, as the car was sold new there.
Not the 1976 edition, but close enough not to matter.
Also it had to be a used, original handbook, which this clearly is!
So now I have an authentic handbook, plus the car's original Service Booklet.

Attachments

• E3 owners handbook_1.jpg
    E3 owners handbook_1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 147
  • E3 owners handbook_2.jpg
    E3 owners handbook_2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 160
  • E3 owners handbook_3.jpg
    E3 owners handbook_3.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 169

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Although these pics are of a 3.3Li, they confirm to me that I should attempt to restore the belt trims on my Si.
Adding the chrome trims will just complete the look of the car, IMHO.

Attachments

• E3 with belt trim_1.jpg
    E3 with belt trim_1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 205
  • E3 with belt trim_2.jpg
    E3 with belt trim_2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 204

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Parts shipment has arrived

Some new brake and suspension parts arrived last week, but I only opened the box this morning.
Hopefully she will be ready for the road once I'm done installing these.

Attachments

• E3 parts pic.jpg
    E3 parts pic.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 176

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Door trim panel attaching grommets

Upon removal of my right side door trim panel, for access to the window mechanism, all of the door-mounted plastic grommets were found to be either missing or broken, and some of the mating clamps on the trim panel are also damaged/missing.

Have ordered some of the latter parts, but the plastic grommet is a problem:
RealOEM calls this part a 'bush' with P/N 51411802258, but is stated as 'ended' (or NLA).

Have searched parts listings for other BMW models, to no avail.
Has anyone else found suitable replacements for these plastic door grommets?

Attachments

• E3 door trim panel grommets.jpg
    E3 door trim panel grommets.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 202

zambo

Reaction score
Upon removal of my right side door trim panel, for access to the window mechanism, all of the door-mounted plastic grommets were found to be either missing or broken, and some of the mating clamps on the trim panel are also damaged/missing.

Have ordered some of the latter parts, but the plastic grommet is a problem:
RealOEM calls this part a 'bush' with P/N 51411802258, but is stated as 'ended' (or NLA).

Have searched parts listings for other BMW models, to no avail.
Has anyone else found suitable replacements for these plastic door grommets?

Peter

W&N have heaps as far as I know. I brought a few bags off them last year. See here - they are approx NZD4-5 for 10 of them.

http://www.wallothnesch.com/karosse...3-li-e3/katalogbild-51-38.html#category-image

They have fixed 2-tier freight from memory, so you need to buy a few other E3 items you need to make it work. They are super helpful so email them and they will work something out. And you will have them in 4-5 days.

Jim at Mesa may have access to the grommets and freight might be better because he will charge just on what he sends and these things weight nothing.

Regards

Richard

zambo

Reaction score
They are really helpful at W&N and may be able to send them to you in a padded bag. Their super fast DHL (I think) is ideal when I have bought a good sized box of stuff because it was like 65 euro as I recall. As bavbob suggests, ebay might be a better option. Though they do sometimes "cane" you with freight as well coming from the US.

As am alternative, I have bought heaps off ebay.de for the E3 - for example, if you wanted a RHD woodgrain dash section where the heater control sliders go, you will find it on ebay.de today (I purchased this and a heap of other stuff there and the guy was excellent). Let me know if you want details.

Good luck with it.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
W&N quote is 10 euros for 50 ea grommets (5 packs of 10), and a whopping 45 euros for shipping!!
That works out at around $NZ1.50 (or $US.97 cents) for each grommet/bush.
None found on the 'Bay of e' at present.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Help requested please - 3.0 si trunk lid badge placement

So far I haven't been able to find any info on locating the "3.0 si" trunk lid badges for installation on my car.
I have the two badges, which presumably were removed by the car's PO for paint prep and not refitted again.
BMW Classic have advised that there is no published procedure that they know of, for locating these badges (I approached them as I assumed the factory would have had these dimensions back in production days).
Therefore I'm asking a big favour of any 3.0Si owners on this forum, to provide some dimensions of their installed badges.
If you are able to help, the four dimensions shown in the attached picture would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• E3 3.0 si trunk badge location.jpg
    E3 3.0 si trunk badge location.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 210

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
So far no information is forthcoming for the trunk lid badge - I guess there aren't many Si owners using this forum.
Meanwhile I've been tidying up the heater plenum area behind the firewall, cleaning and treating some light surface corrosion, and touching up paintwork in and around this area. This included some minor rust treatment on the wiper motor bracket.
While in there, I had the heater fan inlet screen and the adjacent metal clip re-plated as these parts were quite rusty.
I've also replaced the original (and very badly cracked) brake fluid reservoir, with a new ATE part.
Finally the area received a good dose of Dinol before closing it up again.

The car is going to form part of the BMWCC display at this Sunday's annual Classic Car Show and Intermarque Concours event here in Auckland.
The aim of our display is to celebrate 100 years of BMW with a good cross section of BMW models, both past and present.

Attachments

• heater plenum refurb_1.jpg
    heater plenum refurb_1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 192
  • heater plenum refurb_2.jpg
    heater plenum refurb_2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 151
  • heater plenum refurb_3.jpg
    heater plenum refurb_3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 145
  • heater plenum refurb_4.jpg
    heater plenum refurb_4.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 169
  • heater plenum refurb_5.jpg
    heater plenum refurb_5.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 147
  • heater plenum refurb_6.jpg
    heater plenum refurb_6.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 153

rbmacp

Reaction score
The trunk badges are more of a distraction for me now. Mine was formerly an automatic, and I elected to keep the badging the same after the manual conversion...a good stop light conversation starter so far.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Si is currently in storage for the season and will be a few weeks until I get to it. I can post dimensions once I do, or is it too late?

So far I haven't been able to find any info on locating the "3.0 si" trunk lid badges for installation on my car.
I have the two badges, which presumably were removed by the car's PO for paint prep and not refitted again.
BMW Classic have advised that there is no published procedure that they know of, for locating these badges (I approached them as I assumed the factory would have had these dimensions back in production days).
Therefore I'm asking a big favour of any 3.0Si owners on this forum, to provide some dimensions of their installed badges.
If you are able to help, the four dimensions shown in the attached picture would be much appreciated.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why not search Google images. They show the trunk along with the license plate. License plate sizes in the US are all the same so you can calculate a scale to use. Then measure badge location in the image using the scale. No???

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Why not search Google images. They show the trunk along with the license plate. License plate sizes in the US are all the same so you can calculate a scale to use. Then measure badge location in the image using the scale. No???
I had thought about doing this Bob, but it's somewhat less than an exact science, so before drilling holes in the trunk lid I would prefer to have some accurately measured dimensions - within plus or minus half a millimetre or so - to confirm any such calculations.
I had hoped for at least two lots of dimensions from a couple of different cars, as a useful comparison for getting the badge location just right.
Appreciate the input, as always.