New owner 1976 3.0Si Arctic Blue

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
The car is going to form part of the BMWCC display at this Sunday's annual Classic Car Show and Intermarque Concours event here in Auckland.
The aim of our display is to celebrate 100 years of BMW with a good cross section of BMW models, both past and present.

Here are a few pics of our Club display at this event yesterday.

Attachments

• BMWCC display 2016_1.jpg
    BMWCC display 2016_1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 170
  • BMWCC display 2016_2.jpg
    BMWCC display 2016_2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 176
  • BMWCC display 2016_3.jpg
    BMWCC display 2016_3.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 177
  • BMWCC display 2016_4.jpg
    BMWCC display 2016_4.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 164

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
W&N quote is 10 euros for 50 ea grommets (5 packs of 10), and a whopping 45 euros for shipping!!
That works out at around $NZ1.50 (or $US.97 cents) for each grommet/bush.
None found on the 'Bay of e' at present.

Shipment of grommets/bushings arrived from W&N today.
I upped my order to 60 ea and they reduced shipping cost to an affordable price, so all good.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Looking for horn relay

The horn is not working on my car.
So far I've searched online and within this forum, but haven't yet been able to identify just which relay is the horn relay. The owners manual does not identify these components.
The attached picture shows the left side layout in my engine compartment, with four relay positions, and three of them filled.
Is the horn relay the forward-most of the three installed relays?
What are the other relays and also what is the unused relay position for?
Cheers

Attachments

• E3 engine LH side relays.jpg
    E3 engine LH side relays.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Horn is closest to driver but turn on high beam headlights and see which one clicks, that is the high beam, the other is horn. You may have a low beam relay too, earlier coupes and e3s don't have one. Also, high beam wire is white, low beam is yellow, horn is I think brown/green? A fourth slot could be for a fog light relay.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Horns now working - loud & clear!

Last evening I removed and dismantled the horn relay (closest to driver) and found it heavily oxidized inside, but after cleaning the mechanism and winding, etc. with an old toothbrush and some solvent, it looked pretty good. A light spray of WD40 before reassembly & installation, and the horns 'kind of' worked - emitting only a short 'blip' when the horn buttons were pressed.
I then proceeded to remove and dismantle both horns for inspection and cleaning. In each case, once the plastic horn acoustic part was removed, the armature and diaphragm were stuck fast to the horn housing. To separate them I applied 12V across the two terminals, and off they popped!
Again, a good solvent clean of the horn contacts and housing windings, etc, then a little more WD-40 applied before reassembly with a smear of blue 'Hylomar' compound at the gasket joint, and hey presto! They both now emit that very sweet-sounding, twin-horn blast!
All BMW's should have horns like these.
I also dismantled, cleaned and treated the other two relays, in the same manner as the horn relay, and now the fog light works, with the switch tell-tale green lamp lit up, and high beams switch on immediately - they were a little sluggish before.
All in all, a pleasing result after an hour or so's work.
I believe the unused relay position in my car may be for the low beams - as previously mentioned by HB Chris.
Thanks again for the assistance, Chris.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Said my goodbyes to the Si last week :sad: - she is off to meet her new owner in the UK, who is keen to continue the restoration work and get the car back to original spec, so I have no doubt she will be well cared for.
Last time I checked, there were only a dozen or so 3.0 Si's still licensed over there, so this car will bolster their numbers somewhat!
Thanks for all the friendly advice and hospitality provided on this forum...it is very much appreciated, and I'll continue to look in occasionally.
Cheers.

E3_kiwi

Reaction score
Wow - a big call made there mate. What triggered the decision?
Yeah, tough decision, and one I'll no doubt regret in the future.
It was somewhat of an impulse-buy and I couldn't resist it at the time, but the realities of my busy life, on top of looking after four BMW's, eventually caught up with me. Practicality won out, over emotion (again).
I knew I would lose money trying to sell the E3 locally, or even back to Australia, so the decision was made to find a buyer/collector in the UK, where RHD prices are higher, allowing me to at least recover my costs.
A sad and reluctant parting, but in the end I'm happy in the knowledge that she will be pampered by her new keeper, and will lack for nothing.

zambo

Reaction score
Good luck with the other BMW's you have. You are right though - in the UK they are way more interested in the E3's than in our part of the world. If I decide to sell one day, I would go the same route.