No Reserve: BMW E9 Parts Collection on BaT located in FL

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The fact that they didn't bother to catalogue/photograph the items or didn't anticipate someone wanting to visit for a look tells me they don't think the parts are all that good and they just want them out of there. Kind of like what I do when I want something large/broken gone from the house - I put it on Craigslist for low/free and 15 minutes later it's gone. Perhaps I'm wrong and I am missing a holy grail in there somewhere but it sure quacks like a duck.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The wheels look cool.

Epsilon Southern Ways:

IMG_0730-1-scaled.jpg

IMG_0731-3-scaled.jpg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
After corresponding with the seller and thinking about this, I believe it is an honest effort on the part of the owner and the seller, and that their stated motives are the actual motives. That is, to sell the lot of unneeded parts collected over the years with the least amount of effort in order to get them into the hands of an enthusiast who will use them and/or get them back into circulation. Maximizing the selling price is not a goal.

The owner, David, is in England. He owns 2 CSLs. The "crew" has a couple of weeks off after spending a month in Monterey. Craig is the seller representing the lot for David.

I'm pretty sure David, Craig, and "the crew" know E9s (probably vintage BMWs in general). I doubt if there are any super valuable parts that got in the lot by accident.

I tend to agree with Paul, however, that the lot will go for "stupid money".

Redrumm3

Reaction score
Steve has reached out to the seller to take his accomodation temperature. Unfortunately the stuff is now back in boxes on shelves and the owner of the goods is overseas, further complicating things. I would need a helper to move boxes down etc which I could arrange. Seeing how all this evolves.
Steve, I might be able to help you with going through the items. Located in Tampa and work in St. Pete.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
The wheels look cool.

Epsilon Southern Ways:

IMG_0730-1-scaled.jpg

IMG_0731-3-scaled.jpg

I agree! These Southern Ways wheels are some of my all time favorites. I got pretty excited when I first saw them and the Alpinas but I don't know how you could pencil this out and be ahead - even if you got it for the current bid price. Unless you lived in the area, the logistics would be a nightmare.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Kind of like what I do when I want something large/broken gone from the house - I put it on Craigslist for low/free and 15 minutes later it's gone.
You're doing it wrong. Here in central Portland you would just put it on the curb or in the parking strip. 35 year old sofa covered in cigarette burns? Put it on the curb. Surely somebody is going to want it after it's sat in the rain for several days.

I do love Portland, but this does drive me a bit crazy. Most people don't do it, but enough do that taking pictures of weird and useless crap left on the street has become a minor hobby of mine. Barber chair anyone?

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Group edit on this list to figure out true value of this auction. Actual cash value on each item
I'll go first:
Edit away until we have consensus. I am oh so happy to be wrong on these prices.

$1500 M90 mystery core
$3000 Alpina set of four (cores)
$2000 All aluminum trim
$800 Weber Carbs
$400 worn out Bilsteins (many)
$500 aggressively chopped struts suitable for race cars or any new 18 yr old 2002 owner
$600 cylinder heads
$500 Dash wood pieces all (including that Cessna 172 wanna be cluster)
$400 E9 Gauges
$700 Turbo motor stored in salt water
$1500 all other misc.
$1500 Japanese BBS's
$400 E9 gas tank

About $14k acquisition cost + 5% to BaT ($700) call it $15k.

Now the reality:
Shipping $1800
Storage for six months $1800, because Steve Hose doesn't want these in his new back yard.

Ask Chris Macha and Mike Pelly how many hours it took us to liquidate the last batch of E9 parts. Chris had the burden of posting and shipping.

Rough guestimate: it would take 200 hours to photograph, post, package and ship this stuff. It would take 6 months. About 33 hours a month.
We all value our time, and at $100 / hr. @ 200 hours
That's $20,000.00, with the storage and shipping its $23,600.00.

This BaT project is only negative by ($8,600.00)

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dreamers dream and Paul pencils out Reality.

Seller is getting rid of $10,000.00 worth of “Stuff” (my admittedly harsher wholesale valuation)

Cost to travel to site, throw away junk at site, transport “Stuff“back home and
store and sell that stuff- I’m going with 15,000.00

I would like to nominate Steve Hose to purchase this Lot and pack and send the parts out to members. He needs something to do with his retirement time and his wonderful wife is sure to support his new found mission.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Group edit on this list to figure out true value of this auction. Actual cash value on each item
I'll go first:
Edit away until we have consensus. I am oh so happy to be wrong on these prices.

$1500 M90 mystery core
$3000 Alpina set of four (cores)
$2000 All aluminum trim
$800 Weber Carbs
$400 worn out Bilsteins (many)
$500 aggressively chopped struts suitable for race cars or any new 18 yr old 2002 owner
$600 cylinder heads
$500 Dash wood pieces all (including that Cessna 172 wanna be cluster)
$400 E9 Gauges
$700 Turbo motor stored in salt water
$1500 all other misc.
$1500 Japanese BBS's
$400 E9 gas tank

About $14k acquisition cost + 5% to BaT ($700) call it $15k.

Now the reality:
Shipping $1800
Storage for six months $1800, because Steve Hose doesn't want these in his new back yard.

Ask Chris Macha and Mike Pelly how many hours it took us to liquidate the last batch of E9 parts. Chris had the burden of posting and shipping.

Rough guestimate: it would take 200 hours to photograph, post, package and ship this stuff. It would take 6 months. About 33 hours a month.
We all value our time, and at $100 / hr. @ 200 hours
That's $20,000.00, with the storage and shipping its $23,600.00.

This BaT project is only negative by ($8,600.00)

Not in total disagreement but I think you are being a little too generous on most of these items. That being said, if I could have the Alpinas and the Epsilons (if they are staggered) show up at my door for $5K, I might do it.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Seller is getting rid of $10,000.00 worth of “Stuff” (my admittedly harsher wholesale valuation)

I would like to nominate Steve Hose to purchase this Lot and pack and send the parts out to members. He needs something to do with his retirement time and his wonderful wife is sure to support his new found mission.
@Stevehose where else can you find friends like thiso_O

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

So, to refine Don's analysis, if the stuff is worth $10,000, and we assume further that this stash goes for its present bid of $2,400, plus the 5% to BAT, and we also employ Don's $5,000 in travel, handling and storage costs, this leaves a potential profit on the deal of almost $2,500. If we then apply Paul's estimate of 200 hours to realize this profit, we arrive at an hourly rate of $12.50.

And even though the buyers pay shipping costs, the dollar estimates ignore the costs of packing materials for sold items.

And the time estimates do not iclude time spent on determining whether to bid, watching the auction, arranging payment, arranging transportation to acquire the stuff, time to dispose of junk mixed in with the saleable goods, time spent waiting for the truck to arrive with the stuff and arranging the stuff upon arrival, clean up at the end, etc., etc.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is there really an m90 in there?
So, to refine Don's analysis, if the stuff is worth $10,000, and we assume further that this stash goes for its present bid of $2,400, plus the 5% to BAT, and we also employ Don's $5,000 in travel, handling and storage costs, this leaves a potential profit on the deal of almost $2,500. If we then apply Paul's estimate of 200 hours to realize this profit, we arrive at an hourly rate of $12.50.

And even though the buyers pay shipping costs, the dollar estimates ignore the costs of packing materials for sold items.

And the time estimates do not include time spent explaining to one's spouse why a 12th pallet is arriving in the driveway.......