OMG it's sooo cold, it cracked my paint!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I left my car at the shop to fix the seats over the weekend. I asked them to keep inside, but they didn't. It was -15 degrees last night. You can imagine how upset I was when I picked the car up this am and noticed this....
IMG_5566.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
OUCH ... so sorry to see that Scott. so inquiring minds want to know what they are going to do about it?
Honestly, I don't think it is fair to ask them to pay for it, do you? They said they are going to "look into it," but this falls under "shit happens."

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, you must be a better man than I, especially since you ask them to keep it inside and they did not. If I am correct, it is the sunroof so at least the panel can be removed and redone. Hopefully, you have the paint code or some paint left since black can be a PIA to match.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, i think it is fair to ask them to fix it. they may not, but since it is the sunroof panel it is a contained piece that is removable - you won't be asking them to repaint the whole car. this is why businesses have insurance. if they couldn't have kept in inside, they should have told you they couldn't.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is behind the sunroof. While I asked them to keep it inside the prior time I was there and they agreed, I didn't specify again, as I thought it was obvious. You can imagine how pissed I was to see it outside yesterday when I drove by. I was just glad it didn't rain/snow. Need to think on best resolution here. Curious what everyone else thinks. I don't think it is fair to have expected this to happen, but this will not be cheap.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
I left my car at the shop to fix the seats over the weekend. I asked them to keep inside, but they didn't. It was -15 degrees last night. You can imagine how upset I was when I picked the car up this am and noticed this....
View attachment 156023
Looks like a thick layer of filler there!

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
crazy thick; must be over 100 lbs on entire car at that rate
Ouch! Why so much? I can't imagine troweling that much on, did the car have hail damage?

There's a big thermal stability difference between steel and polyester, especially at temperature extremes. Sorry to say but that's probably why the finish cracked.

Hopefully they'll be honorable about their mistake. Good luck.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure it's Bennyz fault.

When they did the re-paint, they probably scuffed the paint that was on there and painted over it.

Apparently the existing paint was applied over a lot (A LOT!) and filler. I wonder if it had hail damage back in the day.

Sorry to see man; ya, won't be cheap to strip the roof down to the metal and re-paint. Probably close to $5k at least.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Really bummed for you. Sadly, their insurance probably doesn't cover "act of god", i.e., the weather. Hope they will at least cover half. Don't know that you may have to have a new roof skin, otherwise not sure how body guys will match the curve of the sunroof with the affected panel, since it was "built up" to match it previously. Sold my project e9 to a paint/body friend in town...I'll discuss pictures with him. Sorry this happened to you...

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seeing this amount of filler is a sign of poor condition of the metal below. I'd check the rest of the car over with a digital thickness gauge, just to know what you have on the rest of the car, and to know if other places start popping up as well.

A good body guy wouldn't be proud of this, but it is a solution that gives a pretty good look for a smaller investment. I'm equally hesitant to call this good work.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When paint fails like this my thought is that it has to do with the preperation of the surface. I think that it is worth having a discussion with the shop about how they can help you with the repairs.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to see this happen. I don’t think any business is required to keep your car inside and you regularly use it on very cold days from the pics you post. I would ask Benny how this could happen because that is way too much filler.
Benny didn't do a bare metal restore. This was only a $7500 paint job if memory serves me, that ended up being much more than that but never intended to be a "proper" restoration. I agree that no shop should be required to store inside necessarily, and I do drive it in the cold, but not -15 degrees. I think this is just one of those things....

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When paint fails like this my thought is that it has to do with the preperation of the surface. I think that it is worth having a discussion with the shop about how they can help you with the repairs.
I agree. It appears that you can see the metal below, which suggests the bond between the metal and the next layer (primer or filler) delaminated. I wouldn't think that the cold alone would do this. Maybe the cold and then an impact? For example, shut the door which would pressurize the cabin and balloon the roof panel, causing the "pop".

Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm sure it's cheaper in Utah vs the bay area but $7500 won't get you very far anywhere. The E9 is one car that it doesn't pay in the log run to skimp on chassis work and paint... I'm with Russ and a few others. There must have been some significant hail (or other?) damage on that roof.

To do it right you'll need to pull the glass and minimum headliner out and find someone very good with working metal and let them get it close to as straight as possible. It won't be cheap but as a buddy of mine is very fond of saying - Pay once, cry once...

wkohler

Site Donor
Reaction score
That really sucks to see. Unfortunately this is one of those components of 50-year-old car and not knowing what’s under the paint. You never know how many times something was done quickly to sell. Hopefully the filler isn’t in a Wile E. Coyote shape.