OMG it's sooo cold, it cracked my paint!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have been with State Farm for decades. They covered me when I took my coupe to High Performance Driver's Schools. The key word was "school."

We had a 100' tree fall across the front of our house, note, Not On. Took out the roof on our garage, no damage below where the coupe was parked. Tree fell Saturday, adjuster on Monday.
A shall we say "generous check" cut that day. One metal, hard wired walkway light that was damaged: he ordered it online, came in three days.

Only good things to say about SF.
I have been with SF since I was 16 years old; I'm 58 now. Longest relationship I have ever had, longer than my marriage, or my siblings, who I am not in communication with. AMEX since I was 21, but otherwise, been with SF forever. My agent for last 19 years with SF just got ALS. I drove to Twin Falls just to give him a hug. My mom had ALS. Horrible. SF is good.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
The way I view this there are two ways to go at this. One is to point fingers at everyone and one is to just say shit happens. Frankly, I could’ve gone either way. I figured the second wave was easier.

Looks like insurance will cover it under their comprehensive coverage. Apparently there is coverage for things like extreme weather.
I’ll second complimenting Scott‘s good attitude and not trying to point fingers. In situations like these I’m reminded of Hyman Roth pointing out to Micheal Corleone: “This is the business we’ve chosen”

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What insurance do you got?

Just curious as I may switch if they would pay for that kind of damage.
"Comprehensive insurance coverage is defined as an optional coverage that protects against damage to your vehicle caused by non-collision events that are outside of your control. This includes theft, vandalism, glass and windshield damage, fire, accidents with animals, weather, or other acts of nature"

Call your agent. My guess is that if you have comprehensive insurance with a reputable company, they would cover weather related damage (like abnormal cold).

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My coupe was AV at $50,000. Lilli is at $35.000, she is a 2002. They never even ask for photos after the first go around. I call, ask for an uptick. They approve.

With SF for decades. Chubb before that until they got way pricey and too picky.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let’s hope @adawil2002 doesn’t have Athena parked outside tonight in Maine.

Athena's safely inside with her friends, garage is 60° in Winter.

Friday the temperature went from 33° to -18° with a wind chill of -30ish overnight. Saturday as been warming up from -18° to 0 with temperatures continuing to warm overnight Sunday with a predicted high of 40-45 with wind tapering off through the day.

Leo the Husky, was out for quite a while Friday as the temperature was dropping. He's most comfortable between 10° & -12°. Our coldest walk was at -5° & he was panting after the first 1/4 mile of the 2 mile loop.

Leo-11 Feb 3:23.jpeg

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, got the estimates to repair, which requires repainting the roof (and sunroof) after stripping to bare metal. One estimate is ~$4500 and another is $3800. State Farm initial estimate is $2,300 and they supposed sent me a check for $1,800 already taking into account my $500 deductible. At this stage, State Farm would talk to the shop to negotiate a rate that is reasonable. Then State Farm would attempt to collect from the shop that caused all this through subrogation. BUT, after looking at my simple tapped solution, which is temporary, I'm thinking that if I just simply patch it up so it doesn't look horrible or allow water to leak in, that is fine for the next ~5-10 years provided I don't get it wet or leave outside in cold weather, which I never have done for extended periods of time. I plan some day to do a proper frame off restoration and get back to orig Sienna Brown, and spending this much money doesn't make much sense. I know you hate videos, but here it is.

Separately, had issues with the seats after reupolstry, and liking driving w/o the front seat with the poodles in the back with my wife. Its much more comfortable that way.