Opinions request from members, particularly CSL owners

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dear all,
Depending on the outcome of this discussion, I would like to ask the Administrator whether he, based on the opinion of the forum members would merit a sub category for the CSLs, like for example the E3.
There is no better and wide reaching E9 forum worldwide, but if you search for specific CSL information, there is no easy/ direct way to find answers. They are spread all over the place and lost within the overwhelming number of Coupe discussions. I can well imagine that many CSL owners aren’t (active) members since there is no specific ‘page’ to access CSLs where they can ask specific questions on history, parts, restorations and directly access CSL specific info and discussions. As few CSLs as were produced and possibly 60-65% still in existence (if at all) , it’s our all E9 owners duty to have the spearhead of the E9 which has captured most of us with heart and soul, namely the CSL to be a sub category directly as part of this forum.
The E3 has its own page as it’s different enough from the coupe to warrant it. We all know by now that the CSL is also specific enough in terms of parts to warrant its own ‘section‘ which is surely of lesser interest to non CSL owners. For example, Alloy door hinges, thin gauge sheet metal, light weight carpet and batteries, city pack vs light weight etc……only a CSL owner would be interested but has no where she/ he can go to to find answers. Info on specific cars, parts available to buy and sell, sharing and setting up VINs, owners, locations etc etc….
There is a lot about CSLs that specifically interest CSL owners and are of only of fleeting interest to others.

Im sincerely hoping that CSL owners will chime in and ofcourse all those who have a constructive opinion :)

Wishing all happy holidays and an upcoming New year

Keshav

Wladek

Reaction score
I will talk for myself - since i am on forum i visited e3 section in total maybe 5-10 times. Why? - i am not e3 owner.
Looking historically from my own experience, sometimes it is hard to receive some reliable answer even as from one source, so you can imagine how challenging it might be receiving the answer with additional section.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can see the merit in the idea, particularly with respect to history and CSL specific issues.

With respect to parts, however, I can see both sides of this. Earlier this month, someone who does not own a CSL bought a CSL steering box, and I suspect the CSL folks would have preferred to see that stay within their group (full disclosure - I too tried to buy that steering box). On the other hand, there may be situations where CSL owners are seeking parts that CS and CSi parts hoarders may have, or situations where CS or CSi parts can be made to work in CSLs.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems a little unnecessary to me due the limited difference between CS CSI CSL.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Earlier this month, someone who does not own a CSL bought a CSL steering box,

Just to clarify, the steering box was not an exclusive CSL part. It’s a part common to E3, 2800 CS and even to the 2.5 CS, just with a longer ratio. Pm me and I’ll help you find a similar manual box.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
It's a yes from me. There's still a deal of CSL history and specifications that are unclear. Having restored a CSL I managed to find most of the information needed from the forum but from memory some of the searching was hard going.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great idea! I'll preface my following comments, with, IMHO as that's all they are.

I've often thought and have had discussions with people that are knowledgeable (CSL specific) about the lack of accurate and available (not private and closely held - - we have lots of that) knowledge on the CSL variations. Yet at the same time some knowledgeable folks are quick to point out faults of originality... 99.5% of the time, without providing details on the correct way the fault should be corrected. As a CSL owner that will be undertaking a restoration in the next few years, I want to ensure my car is correct when done and won't be nitpicked to death when completed. For those that say it may then be too easy to "clone" a CSL, I'd point them to the 73 Porsche 911 RS market where every other longhood hotrod is to some degree an RS or RSR clone. It hasn't impacted the stratospheric value of those cars and one might argue it has exposed the special nature of those cars to a wider audience and fueled in some part to the rise in value of the originals. I'll be tuning into the responses to this thread...

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My home page on this forum is the "what's new" tab. I do this because there are so many crossover parts, problems, and procedures between the E3 and the E9. Mostly mechanical, but a fair amount of trim. In addition, there is not an E3 specific parts section. If I just looked at the E3 tabs I'd miss a lot of posts that apply to my car.

I think the same would happen with a specific CSL tab. Lots of cross over with CS and CSi. If only the CSL tab was looked at, a lot would be missed that applies to CSL.

Also, the sub forum would be starting from zero. There is a lot of data out there already unique to the CL so any search for info would need to be forum wide.

My OPINION is that for the relatively low traffic on this forum, it is already sliced and diced more than it needs to be.

However, if a CSL sub forum was added, it wouldn't affect me in the least. I would still start at the "what's new" tab and skip over any thread that doesn't interest me.

Last edited:
Reactions: dp

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems a little unnecessary to me due the limited difference between CS CSI CSL.
No offense, but that's like saying there isn't much of a difference between a 73 RS 911 and a 73 911 S... I mean, besides the 500k difference in value.... There are lots of small, critical differences that may not be a big deal to a CSi owner but have significant impact on the accuracy of a CSL...

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's a yes from me. There's still a deal of CSL history and specifications that are unclear. Having restored a CSL I managed to find most of the information needed from the forum but from memory some of the searching was hard going.

Yes, it’s not only about common parts, rather about the history of individual cars, VINS, locations, owners. There are but a handful of CSL owners left that contribute regularly but the ‘old and knowledgeable hands’ rarely share their knowledge and we hope to bring their attention back. At least that’s the grand plan to find a space dedicated to those FEW cars.
It’s hard to imagine that CSLs with asking prices of over half a million don’t have a platform.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
No offense, but that's like saying there isn't much of a difference between a 73 RS 911 and a 73 911 S... I mean, besides the 500k difference in value.... There are lots of small, critical differences that may not be a big deal to a CSi owner but have significant impact on the accuracy of a CSL...
Oh, certainly did not mean to offend anyone.
Freedom of speech and all that.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, certainly did not mean to offend anyone.
Freedom of speech and all that.
No offense taken! Just trying to highlight that there are differences that, unless you've tried to chase those parts or info down, you may not be aware of, hence the desire (at least mine) of a place to shine light on those small but key differences.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not opposed. It’s a decision for @dang. One issue with CSL’s is that content is tricky to search for. The forum doesn’t support three character searches. If a forum is created, I can find and migrate old threads to the forum so it is fully formed upon launch.

There is quite a bit of CSL content and history on the forum. I’ve read through every thread more than once.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think everyone needs to keep in mind that CSL owners would not be restricted to the CSL forum, just like E3 owners are not restricted to the E3 forum. In other words, when I was working on the Webers on my E3 I posted my questions in the E9 forum because it a common topic and there's more traffic, but when I'm talking about E3 specific topics I stay in the E3 forum.

I think Keshav's point is to have a place for CSL owners to go for ONLY CSL topics. Let's say, the M3 forum versus the 3-series forum.