Opinions request from members, particularly CSL owners

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
Some of my posts have been CSL specific but usually anyone will have a crack to help (or in some cases a wise crack lol). Due to the higher volume of non CSL owners I have received most of my good tips from the general E9 community as the reality is there is 90-95% overlap with a CSL and a non CSL.

However I still think it is a good idea to have a CSL tab, ie for very specific questions or for CSL specification part sourcing, buying, historic photos etc. And yes the race car idea also good... and an E9 Alpina tab (maybe one tab that says : CSL, CSL BAT, Race CSL, Alpina CSL)

Also do note, when it comes to CSL's, for excellent historical reference info, about most of the cars in existence, there is this brilliant resource:

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think CS:L specific section is a great thing ... possibly within the E9 section. do you think a separate classified section for CSL (cars / parts) is part of the discussion ... we don't have that for e3.

here's a question for consideration, the CSi and the CSL basically share the same injected engine ... so do things get repeated in both places? the question is, CSL specific context for body, suspension, interior is different. there are many things that are the same, or similar with slightly different parts. what comes to mind is that originality is much more important on the CSL.

so here's something that we should do - improve some of the FAQ section to breakout sources - where to get CSL specific parts. maybe you don't want that quite so public. i do think documenting some of the specific differences for CSL owners would be a really great thing.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since many CSL owners seem to be a bit more private I can’t see that many that would be sharing VINs, Locations and such. And I also think that there are so many common aspects that items in the CSL sub forum might get missed if it also applies to a CS. I am not opposed to adding this but if we are documenting specific aspects of the CSL this could be added into the FAQ section like I have done with many topics.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sounds like this could be the rebirth of the once famous world wide ie

CSL register by Mr Bradley and Mr Brown

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I for one don't really care so much about a registry. There's already an established one. I would like a place where knowledge can be shared on the unique aspects of the cars. Something that might actually attract CSL owners and those that have knowledge of the cars. Don't necessarily have a deep desire to research the VIN history though I can see where others might find it interesting... But that's just what I would like to see.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think that once the threads moved the value would be more apparent. There are some great CSL threads. Not as helpful as the past. Unfortunately some of the good information has been redacted by a knowledgeable contributor.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
while i totally agree with Markos on CSL classified, i think tracking CSL selling values could be of interest ... especially with some descriptions. i have always thought it would be a great thing to document all CS / CSi / CSL sale values. the caveat is that some people don't want the price they paid known ... so perhaps its something that remains collected but not accessible to the general public ... perhaps only 'unlocked' by an administrator for those fighting an insurance claim.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Plenty of values already available on Hammer Price and BaT. We don't need to replicate those IMHO
This would be a spot to discuss the specifics of the car not how much they will or won't sell for... At least that's what I would envision, would be helpful...

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dear all,
Depending on the outcome of this discussion, I would like to ask the Administrator whether he, based on the opinion of the forum members would merit a sub category for the CSLs, like for example the E3.
There is no better and wide reaching E9 forum worldwide, but if you search for specific CSL information, there is no easy/ direct way to find answers. They are spread all over the place and lost within the overwhelming number of Coupe discussions. I can well imagine that many CSL owners aren’t (active) members since there is no specific ‘page’ to access CSLs where they can ask specific questions on history, parts, restorations and directly access CSL specific info and discussions. As few CSLs as were produced and possibly 60-65% still in existence (if at all) , it’s our all E9 owners duty to have the spearhead of the E9 which has captured most of us with heart and soul, namely the CSL to be a sub category directly as part of this forum.
The E3 has its own page as it’s different enough from the coupe to warrant it. We all know by now that the CSL is also specific enough in terms of parts to warrant its own ‘section‘ which is surely of lesser interest to non CSL owners. For example, Alloy door hinges, thin gauge sheet metal, light weight carpet and batteries, city pack vs light weight etc……only a CSL owner would be interested but has no where she/ he can go to to find answers. Info on specific cars, parts available to buy and sell, sharing and setting up VINs, owners, locations etc etc….
There is a lot about CSLs that specifically interest CSL owners and are of only of fleeting interest to others.

Im sincerely hoping that CSL owners will chime in and ofcourse all those who have a constructive opinion :)

Wishing all happy holidays and an upcoming New year

Keshav
Sounds like a good idea @Keshav.

While not on here as much as many, when I do I look, I look at classified and at the Whats New section, which basically covers my general interest and would therefore cover any crossover between CS, CSI and CSL.

I agree with @Markos Classified should stay as is, love it or hate it, its interesting to us all what any E9 sells for.

Many CSL owners are a bit more private, I don't know why that is, but I know I certainly am. While I will try and happily help any individual, I have a real problem helping dealers and flippers make more money.

Just a guess, maybe, the forum as a whole may get more accurate information on CSLs and more involvement from the people who this is their key interest, not always necessarily owners with a separate section.

Thats my two pennies

Merry Christmas - Happy Holidays to one and all

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The most valid reason for E9 family forum balkanization would be if the family does not get along.
All the analogies to Porsches RS blah blah go over my head as I have never driven a Porsche, owned a Porsche, nor can tell their differences.

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think a CSL sub-forum where owners, experts (while there still are some around) and new people looking to buy a CSL could have easy-to-find information and discussions is a great idea.

Anyone afraid of missing out should start using the "new posts" button, I never navigate through the list of subforums except when I need to start a thread or search for something specific.
Clicking the "new posts" button each time you check in on the forum keeps you up to date on everything that happens.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Anyone afraid of missing out should start using the "new posts" button, I never navigate through the list of subforums except when I need to start a thread or search for something specific.
Clicking the "new posts" button each time you check in on the forum keeps you up to date on everything that happens.
Create a bookmark with this as the address:

[ https://e9coupe.com/forum/find-new/posts ]

(The text in between the brackets)

It will then take you directly to the list of new posts.

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not a CSL owner any more, but I support the idea of a section on originality and history which could be broken down into sections by model, not just the CSL.
A similar forum subgroup exists on 914 World, covering details by year, with a specific thread for the 914/6. I'm sure some are ready and willing to contribute data,
the problem is some won't, so that knowledge is lost. A friend owns an unrestored time capsule, one of the first 169 CSLs. AFAIK he doesn't visit this site at all... and details
of his car would be an invaluable resource. So, how to persuade those with The Knowledge to share? I'll start by asking him, but so many other questions need answers.

For instance, does anyone know the status of the very first CSL built for Bob Lutz?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the problem is some won't, so that knowledge is lost. A friend owns an unrestored time capsule, one of the first 169 CSLs. AFAIK he doesn't visit this site at all... and details of his car would be an invaluable resource. So, how to persuade those with The Knowledge to share? I'll start by asking him, but so many other questions need answers.

For instance, does anyone know the status of the very first CSL built for Bob Lutz?

The hope is that if there is a ‘page’ dedicated to the CSL, more owners would feel encouraged to share.
With the soaring values of CLSs, it’s high time to have a dedicated space to encourage as many owners as possible to join and insure the future of the CSLs, together. Id like to think that non member owners who are realizing the value of their cars will have an interest to learn more about their cars and CSLs in general and where else to search for parts other than where other owners hang out at? The few L’s that are left should be brought to their original condition (I’m the exception to the rule here), owners supported in finding and restoring with maximum help and knowledge etc…….
Quite honestly, there is little in-depth interest regarding CSLs within the general community, where the overwhelming majority are the coupes.

The last couple of CSLs posted have had no real interest nor questions asked which I’m sure will change if we had a page to get into the in-depth details and preserve that knowledge here in the forum.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
The most valid reason for E9 family forum balkanization would be if the family does not get along.
All the analogies to Porsches RS blah blah go over my head as I have never driven a Porsche, owned a Porsche, nor can tell their differences.
Archduke Ferdinand, who drove a '74 US spec automatic E9, welcomes all.

While this specialization could lead one to imagine ever narrower groupings, I doubt this will happen.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Tags work good for this, but it's a habit thing...
I was thinking about tags after Keshav posed the question. This does sound like a great habit to get into, but one that would probably work best if there was some uniformity in tagging. While I feel like this whole thread is already piling more work at the admins' feet, maybe a list of tags in the FAQ would be helpful? Two columns: tag & description.

This might be totally unnecessary, but I know that even when I'm organizing things all by myself I run into problems with (self-created) inconsistencies.