Opinions request from members, particularly CSL owners

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was thinking about tags after Keshav posed the question. This does sound like a great habit to get into, but one that would probably work best if there was some uniformity in tagging. While I feel like this whole thread is already piling more work at the admins' feet, maybe a list of tags in the FAQ would be helpful? Two columns: tag & description.

This might be totally unnecessary, but I know that even when I'm organizing things all by myself I run into problems with (self-created) inconsistencies.
It helps when you type in a tag word and get a list of available tags already created to choose from. Not perfect but at least more of them get grouped together.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
It helps when you type in a tag word and get a list of available tags already created to choose from. Not perfect but at least more of them get grouped together.
Thanks for the tip - that's great! I'm not sure why "Dan's dumb noob questions" doesn't pop up when I start typing it though.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

LeG9ND

Reaction score
Great initiative Keshav! Specially since I recently bought a CSL and find it difficult to find information as the “CSL” search won’t work as it seems the three letters are not long enough to find specific results.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great initiative Keshav! Specially since I recently bought a CSL and find it difficult to find information as the “CSL” search won’t work as it seems the three letters are not long enough to find specific results.
You could also add another word (or words) to CSL in your search. For example, searching CSL history, or CSL for sale, or CSL race, or CSL restoration, or CSL auction, or CSL interior. Each give you (what I think is) the maximum allowed of 10 pages of posts for each of those searches. You can narrow this type of search by searching just on post titles or adding additional words to your search (1972, Baikal, etc), or by adding a date range for the posts and/or adding author(s) in an advanced search.

It is probably best to make your search as specific as possible. Even 10 pages are perhaps too much to wade through. And, if you could search on just CSL and the search returned all posts on the forum not just 10 pages of posts, you'd have enough reading matter for a lifetime :oops: .

Reaction score
I am in favor. On the pro side it will help regroup CSL topics. On the Cons side, it will be one more sub group to read and or manage.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i like the non CSL group ... we are a lot greater # in members and don't fantasize about a $ 1 million exchange panel of that ,only one in a lifetime ,thickness.

:p

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
senza offesa, l'analogia di @tferrer ha colpito nel segno…..911 RS o 911 R (senza offesa).
L'analogia è corretta. Infatti sia le Rs 911 che le CSL, a differenza delle versioni da cui derivano, hanno il cupolino anteriore, realizzato da Glaverbel, più leggero e meno spesso, specifico per RS e per CSL

The analogy is correct. In fact, both the Rs 911 and the CSL, unlike the versions from which they derive, have the front windscreen, made by Glaverbel, lighter and less thick, specific for RS and CSL

Last edited by a moderator:

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
Dear all,
Depending on the outcome of this discussion, I would like to ask the Administrator whether he, based on the opinion of the forum members would merit a sub category for the CSLs, like for example the E3.
There is no better and wide reaching E9 forum worldwide, but if you search for specific CSL information, there is no easy/ direct way to find answers. They are spread all over the place and lost within the overwhelming number of Coupe discussions. I can well imagine that many CSL owners aren’t (active) members since there is no specific ‘page’ to access CSLs where they can ask specific questions on history, parts, restorations and directly access CSL specific info and discussions. As few CSLs as were produced and possibly 60-65% still in existence (if at all) , it’s our all E9 owners duty to have the spearhead of the E9 which has captured most of us with heart and soul, namely the CSL to be a sub category directly as part of this forum.
The E3 has its own page as it’s different enough from the coupe to warrant it. We all know by now that the CSL is also specific enough in terms of parts to warrant its own ‘section‘ which is surely of lesser interest to non CSL owners. For example, Alloy door hinges, thin gauge sheet metal, light weight carpet and batteries, city pack vs light weight etc……only a CSL owner would be interested but has no where she/ he can go to to find answers. Info on specific cars, parts available to buy and sell, sharing and setting up VINs, owners, locations etc etc….
There is a lot about CSLs that specifically interest CSL owners and are of only of fleeting interest to others.

Im sincerely hoping that CSL owners will chime in and ofcourse all those who have a constructive opinion :)

Wishing all happy holidays and an upcoming New year

Keshav

jvrenaudon

Reaction score
i like the non CSL group ... we are a lot greater # in members and don't fantasize about a $ 1 million exchange panel of that ,only one in a lifetime ,thickness.

:p
From my, admittedly limited, angle I am marginally in favour of keeping things as they are. In terms of availability and sourcing/disposing of of parts, troubleshooting,etc., I don't see much advantage in limiting the field unnecessarily. Moreover, I seem to detect a hint of unwelcome elitism creeping in at times. Affected? Moi? Best wishes, John.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Unless my eyes deceive me I think this homologated horse bolted months ago and we now have CSL specific thread on the forum.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, not at all Dan! I wonder why some folks think CSL owners are exuberayting elitism…..completely uncalled for and baseless. I can’t think of a single comment ever made by a Csl owner reflecting elitism. Quite the other way around……. I’m sure any number of coupe owners would happily own an L.
If you go based on the number of parts/ parts# that are unique to the CSL and with the dwindling numbers of those cars and parts , it should be to all our interest to enjoy having a group of guys spending larger sums of money to keep those cars essentially alive as opposed to non L coupes. Other than the Bats, L’s often sell for less than many a coupes of late. The majority of long term L owners are not rich guys, they are simply willing to dig far deeper and therefore indulge less in other pleasures.
Why an added sub link is getting under the skin of some members can only be attributed to a lower form of thought!
i like the non CSL group .
I (and the majority) like all the groups that are discussed here, even non BMW/ coupe related groups like a P 928. We petrol heads are here to enjoy and not take digs at each other.
And yes, we sure can throw rocks back but then we’d be at the same level as the ‘haters’.

Keshav

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i was kidding Keshav , omg , what do i care about CS/CSL opinions.

What i do know , i enjoy(ed) my CS for years now in so many regularitys. That with a "50k" car , not "150k".
For a CSL i'm not rich enough , ( yes , i could if i didn't wanted 6 cars ... ) and wonder if i would have taken the same risks/fun.

And more, perhaps we are the last generation that may drive those oldtimers..... so what's the use anymore of restoring cars to garage queens ?? :)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
CSL Specific, if it's a good idea, how about e9 race cars having section as well?
E9 race cars? Wow, a whole subforum dedicated to disputing vehicles that have been raced in the day and more recently historically for decades simply because they do or don't have a vin that meets someone else's idea of convention. Sounds like a blast! How about E3 race cars as well?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Keshav, i for one love the CSL forum ... visit quite often and read, but rarely (if ever post there). i also love humor in all of the forums, including sarcasm ... sometimes it is helpful to let people know that something one posts is written with 'tongue planted firmly in cheek'

Klassic

Reaction score
I don't know what the appetite might be, but a race/performance specific forum gives opportunity to share specific experience/ information. Engine conversion, suspension setup, classic race meetings coming up, performance related parts. Not about engine numbers and production this and that, more about engagement of the mongrel and thoroughbred Cs/csl cars that share the love of performance within the e9 context. Take your anorak off and put on some overalls.